Feeling physically normal

Options
JessicaV
JessicaV Member Posts: 297
edited May 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Now that the weather in Perth has cooled down, I have begun wearing the blonde wig  I bought in February more and more of the time, in addition to the breast prosthesis I bought at the end of March. They are both comfortable, and  I find that I really like the way I look and feel in these "health appliances." I look in the mirror and think I look quite pretty after having a couple of months when I actually avoided looking at reflections of the bald me because it was so strangely unfamiliar..

The blonde wig just feels like a comfortable hat to wear, and I forget it is anything else.  Unlike the other wig I bought which I have not been able to wear, it is not itchy either. When I look in the mirror, it doesn't look like me either. But for the first time in my life I am having " really good hair days" and it  feels fun to wear, and I think that shows.

I got quite a buzz on Saturday when waiting to get my own shopping trolley from the trolley park area. The man before me pulled out a trolley for himself, then saw me standing there . He courteously asked me if I would like a trolley, and went to fetch himself another. I am quite pale from my chemo, and a bit over my ideal weight, but am discovering that even during chemo, there are indeed advantages in having Marilyn Munroe hair!

Comments

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have started to wear my wig more with the cooler weather, it's not blonde but I feel rather normal when wearing it. I don't get so many sympathetic looks. I'm glad that you are feeling a bit better, take care, 

Hazel xx

• JessicaV
    JessicaV Member Posts: 297
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sarah,No, I am not finished with chemo yet:  I still have 2 moreTCH  Chemo sessions to go, and after that, I will still be going it for Herceptin every 3 weeks until the end of Feb. The fatigue is catching up with me a bit, and that makes it harder to beat the bad stuff, but I am currently too busy to spend  too much time worrying about my sister and mother.

I got a heated propagation unit for Mother's day from my son and daughter, which is wonderful, and means I can start growing my own early tomato plants next month, also peppers and corn and beans and eggplants. Also loads of stuff to do for ATO, claiming back from medicare, insurance claims galore, etc All a much better use of my time as long as I can make the choice!!

It is hurtful when mothers let us down. We deserve better.