Options
Jessica Clifton
Jessica Clifton Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in General discussion
Hi all you beautiful ladies! I am 34 with 2 kids 5 and 7 and also avert supportive husband. I was diagnosed with DCIS stage 3, her2 negative,hormone positive on 29/08/13. I had chemo then mastectomy with all lymph nodes removed, 4 out of 12 were positive. I then had 4 weeks of chemo again and just finished my 5 weeks of rads. I went for my first CT scan last week and so far it shows all clear so wooohooooo! In 4 weeks I am having my ovaries removed and I will start with Arimadex. In 8 weeks I will go see a reconstruction dr and hopefully by the end of the year I will have 2 new boobs! I have decided to take the other boob off too when they do recon. It has been a long and very hard road but I am in a good place at the moment. Would love to help out with advise for anybody starting their journey.

Comments

• Brigette Sigley
    Brigette Sigley Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options

Jessica, it sounds like you have been through the ringer .  I have a similar story to you 3 children 4 years ago.. Today feel fantastic .  Make sure you put yourself  first and work out what you need because you can only be there for others if you are well .  I write a blog called focusonliving.com.au and you can sign up to my FREE weekly newletter where I interview different experts and share my expereince. I also run Focus on Living school which happens the next time in July it is an online program designed to make sure your do everything you can do focus on living.   In the meantime if I can help in anyway please contact me. Brigette xx

• Mel72
    Mel72 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jessica what a ride u have been on ! I was diagnosed 10 years ago with early breast cancer, celebration of 10 years this year only lasted 2weeks ! Routine scan picked up shadow, core biopsy revealed DCIS about 5 mm in size , ended up having masectomy as it was in same breast.... Pathology came back nothing else in breast only what they knew was there. No chemo or radio needed maybe tamoxifen again.....I was just wondering how u come to the decision to remove your other breast as well ?? I am sure if I asked my surgeon he would (has not suggested or mentioned it ) but am struggling with the decision.....:) xx
  • Jessica Clifton
    Jessica Clifton Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Mel
    I have not done the genetic testing so not sure if it is in my genes. My cousin on my moms side had breast cancer too and she fought for 5 years until earlier this year when it took her. I actually made the decision very early on in my diagnosis. I don't want to go through this again and if taking off the other one makes just a slight difference then I am doing it. I don't need them anymore as I have had my kids. I am having recon so in the end it will also look beter if both are done at the same time. I wanted to have a double mastectomy but the dr said it was too big of an operation they didn't want to put me through that so he suggested if I still want to do it the best time would be during recon. Also most of the woman I have spoken to tells me they had it in the one side and then also got it in the other side and they regret not doing it earlier. Hope this helps. Good luck and keep in touch