alternatives to hormone therapy and radiation?

Options
Kez.Za
Kez.Za Member Posts: 35
edited April 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Hi all,

I am new to BCNA and very new to breast cancer.  I had a 15mm tumor removed last week and today have been advised by the doctor that 4 weeks of radiation followed by 5 years of hormone treatment is the 'treatment plan'.   The cancer was stage 1 ~ grade 2, I am 43 years old.  I am looking into alternatives to the medical road I am advised to travel down.   Would anyone care to share their story or get in touch with me if they also have chosen an alternate path?

kindest

Kerin

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kerin:) I didn't choose an alternate path to traditional treatments,however I just want to acknowledge,that everyone has a choice.Having said that,I think that these days,with all the wonderful information that we have available to us in Australia,traditional treatments for BC are really the only way to go,because cancer is something not to be treated lightly.I had a mastectomy last September,followed by 4 rounds of chemo,and now I am on Tamoxifen.I am feeling great! :) I didn't find chemo difficult,but I definitely looked after my body,with VERY healthy food,and daily exercise.This is something that I have always done anyway.I believe,that if we treat our bodies as well as we can,then something like cancer treatment,is just a bump in the road.A bit like medications that we have to take for the numerous other things that we get throughout our lives.I had my treatment at Chris O'Brien LifeHouse Centre in Sydney.It was built with a more holistic approach to treatment in mind,which is something that has ,and still is in some places,missing from treatment plans.At LifeHouse,they have things such as meditation,yoga,nutrition,exercise,tai chi,and a lot more alternate type treatments,that they encourage patients to access as they are going through their traditional treatments.When treatment finishes,we are still encouraged to attend classes,and this is something that I have done.It has most definitely helped my recovery.I realise that not everyone has access to something as amazing as LifeHouse,but there are still a lot of things these days,that you can find in most communities,to help you.All the best with your decision Kerin.Please continue to stay on this blog and let us know what you decide.No one on here is judgemental,and that is what makes this network so wonderful.Take care.xoxRobyn

• HazelB
    HazelB Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kerin, i've been on this path for 9 years now: first diagnosed in Nov 2005, similar age to you. I had a masectomy in Feb 2006 and was lucky that the cancer had not progressed into my lympathic system - so there was no need for chemo or radiation. The recommendation was for me to go on Tamoxifen for 5 years as it was eostrogen positive. I declined the offer as the actual improvement it made to my chances wasn't huge in my opinion.

I had 7 clear years before having another run in last year  .. again I've managed to dodge radiation/ chemo treatment but as Robyn advocates looking after yourself - nutrionally, exercise, relaxtion etc is key

A really great book I recommend is called "Five to Thrive" by Lise Alschuler & Karolyn Gazella ISBN 9781935297406 which is helpful in understanding both what cancer is and how to wholistically support yourself whichever path you choose. All the best

With love and light

Hazel

• HazelB
    HazelB Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kerin, i've been on this path for 9 years now: first diagnosed in Nov 2005, similar age to you. I had a masectomy in Feb 2006 and was lucky that the cancer had not progressed into my lympathic system - so there was no need for chemo or radiation. The recommendation was for me to go on Tamoxifen for 5 years as it was eostrogen positive. I declined the offer as the actual improvement it made to my chances wasn't huge in my opinion.

I had 7 clear years before having another run in last year  .. again I've managed to dodge radiation/ chemo treatment but as Robyn advocates looking after yourself - nutrionally, exercise, relaxtion etc is key

A really great book I recommend is called "Five to Thrive" by Lise Alschuler & Karolyn Gazella ISBN 9781935297406 which is helpful in understanding both what cancer is and how to wholistically support yourself whichever path you choose. All the best

With love and light

Hazel

• Kez.Za
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank for both for sharing your story with me.  After my initial panic about the invasive treatments offered I am gathering all the information on my diagnosis and the treatment plan offered.  I agree that this cancer is not something to take lightly and I certainly don't want to look back in 10 years time with any regrets about not doing something.  If only we had a crystal ball....

I have spoken with my amazing naturopath who instantly said that we will deal with what ever side effects present...

This is the beginning of my journey and am still coming to terms with it.

thank you again

x

• Kez.Za
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank for both for sharing your story with me.  After my initial panic about the invasive treatments offered I am gathering all the information on my diagnosis and the treatment plan offered.  I agree that this cancer is not something to take lightly and I certainly don't want to look back in 10 years time with any regrets about not doing something.  If only we had a crystal ball....

I have spoken with my amazing naturopath who instantly said that we will deal with what ever side effects present...

This is the beginning of my journey and am still coming to terms with it.

thank you again

x

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2015
    Options

its a good question to ask and i have read books on a natural approach to cancer recovery and taken some dietry advice on board but i havent read anything specific to bc.  My oncologist said that surgery and medication wer e the vital treatment options but why not go for radiation as further insurance--and as these two treatment options are not that invasive --and frankly not chemotherapy--that i was too relieved to question other approaches; and in some way--with the fullness of time other options may come up too.  

I dont see you questioning treatment options as taking bc lightly; and like to acknowledge all those pioneers who tried new approaches.  i kind of got stuck with how you do the 'hormone' part of the treatment in a natural way but im content with what ive done and in the meantime adjusting to what has happened; i also value that so far my treatments have been mainstream and minimal and that my well being, functioning and recovery has been quick.  I will keep my eyes out for alternatives to tamoxafin--you never know!

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2015
    Options

its a good question to ask and i have read books on a natural approach to cancer recovery and taken some dietry advice on board but i havent read anything specific to bc.  My oncologist said that surgery and medication wer e the vital treatment options but why not go for radiation as further insurance--and as these two treatment options are not that invasive --and frankly not chemotherapy--that i was too relieved to question other approaches; and in some way--with the fullness of time other options may come up too.  

I dont see you questioning treatment options as taking bc lightly; and like to acknowledge all those pioneers who tried new approaches.  i kind of got stuck with how you do the 'hormone' part of the treatment in a natural way but im content with what ive done and in the meantime adjusting to what has happened; i also value that so far my treatments have been mainstream and minimal and that my well being, functioning and recovery has been quick.  I will keep my eyes out for alternatives to tamoxafin--you never know!

• thebellbird
    thebellbird Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi kerin
    I'm 43 too and was diagnosed with grade 1 BC 7 weeks ago have had a masectomy and thankfully avoided chemo and rads. I did have one tiny micromet out of 15 nodes. I still am unsure of taking the tamoxifen too. I have completely changed my diet, no sugar, dairy or meat, vegan really but I can't give up my fresh fish. I have green juices daily and eat a lot of raw veges, I exercise a bit and about to take Up swimming on reg basis. I'm just not that into taking such a full on drug, it's such a hard decision. I am considering taking DIM which is a natural estrogen balancer made from cruciferous veges. Along with high doses of vitamin C. Does anyone else take DIM?
    It does get easier yes one day at a time, I hope you let us know what you choose, all the best.

Bellbird. X
  • Boatgirl
    Boatgirl Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi

I am 54, had a lumpectomy last Nov then radiation.  No chemo.

I've had a hystectomy and ovaries removed which started the hot flushes, raised my body temperature dramatically and some joint pain.  I take Krill oil which is great. 

The next step is hormone treatment.  The side effects do not appeal particularly the risk of bone loss, heart disease, alzheimers etc.  Will I be I trading one life limiting factor for another?   Painful joints, headaches.  Painkillers are not always liver friendly.  I  also need to factor in being physically and mentally "fit" for work as well.  And it goes on.....

Before making  a decision, I'm going to have my GP investigate my risk factors for these other areas and check my hormone levels first.  We can then make a decision based on my whole body health.

My partner and I don't want to be defined by cancer.  No "sookie la las" has been our motto and has served us well during the last six months of treatment.  

Best wishes to all.