The cost of a healthy diet

Options
Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited March 2014 in Health and wellbeing
Since diagnosis I have really concentrated on including lots of fresh fruit and vegetables in my diet. I buy organic where possible and this costs a bit more. It is interesting the reasons that people come up with for not buying food that is good for you.

Expense is often mentioned. As I was going through the check-out the other day a lady remarked that the fresh berries I had bought were very expensive. I replied yes but they are so good for us. We spend money all the time on things that are not good for us! My berries cost less than a piece of cake and a coffee or a bottle of wine for example.

Sometimes we just need to really think about the excuses we make for not looking after our health. Having cancer has cost me so much (in both financial terms and quality of life etc). I now think spending money on good quality food is not an extravagance but a very wise investment in my own and my family's future.

Just thought I would share my thinking about this subject. Wishing you all a good day! :)Deanne xxx

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You are so right Deanne! I have spent a fortune on cappuccinos and banana bread over the years! Not any more,and I try and make sure that every thing that I eat is GOOD for me.Otherwise,I will go without.I think that I always ate a reasonably healthy diet,and was very aware of things like cholesterol,but I think it's more than that .Like you say Deanne,it's organic foods,no additives or preservatives,and when there has to be,make sure that they are not dangerous for us,for instance like some of the preservatives used in deli meats.Good and interesting post Deanne!Thanks Robyn xox
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

Absolutely right, Deanne. I fill my fridge from the farmers' markets every weekend, and make fresh salads and green drinks throughout the week.  Red meat once a week, some oven baked chicken, and fresh salmon (or canned red salmon if unavailable.)  My husband is 100% with the plan, and we are both enjoying the benefits of top nutrition.  Exercise, I agree with you and Robyn, is key to our continued recovery.  After 20 years of aerobics and gym, I am now stretching, doing yoga, walking along the beach, and 30 minute treadmill sessions.  In my own mind, it is the reason I coped so well with surgeries, chemo, and radiation.

It is 2 years now since I was diagnosed, and I can honestly say that I feel better now than before the surgery in 2012.  Good food and exercise is something we can all do for ourselves.  It also makes us feel better to be proactive.

Very best wishes to all our pink sisters, along with hugs and encouragement,

Michelle xx

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

Absolutely right, Deanne. I fill my fridge from the farmers' markets every weekend, and make fresh salads and green drinks throughout the week.  Red meat once a week, some oven baked chicken, and fresh salmon (or canned red salmon if unavailable.)  My husband is 100% with the plan, and we are both enjoying the benefits of top nutrition.  Exercise, I agree with you and Robyn, is key to our continued recovery.  After 20 years of aerobics and gym, I am now stretching, doing yoga, walking along the beach, and 30 minute treadmill sessions.  In my own mind, it is the reason I coped so well with surgeries, chemo, and radiation.

It is 2 years now since I was diagnosed, and I can honestly say that I feel better now than before the surgery in 2012.  Good food and exercise is something we can all do for ourselves.  It also makes us feel better to be proactive.

Very best wishes to all our pink sisters, along with hugs and encouragement,

Michelle xx

• AnnaB
    AnnaB Member Posts: 176
    edited March 2015
    Options

Veggie juicing got me through chemo and other treatments and I have continued drinking them.  You're right about changing your outlook.  I love the idea of calling berries the 'treat' and viewing all the high sugar treats as potential tumour fuel.

Anna

• AnnaB
    AnnaB Member Posts: 176
    edited March 2015
    Options

Veggie juicing got me through chemo and other treatments and I have continued drinking them.  You're right about changing your outlook.  I love the idea of calling berries the 'treat' and viewing all the high sugar treats as potential tumour fuel.

Anna

• ronnie61
    ronnie61 Member Posts: 126
    edited March 2015
    Options

Deanne, I have been eating so much better the last 2 years and I have managed to drop 16 kilos. Having a condition called " diverticulitis" means eating a high fibre diet to avoid flare ups in the tummy. But I have also always had a sweet tooth and that has been a cause of overeating too much sugar foods over the years too. But now that I have been diagnosed with BC I am looking to educate myself better on the right kind of foods for this condition. Deanne thanks very much for your wonderful post on this . I hope to learn more from you and others on healthier eating tips especially whilst undergoing treatment. I have managed to maintain my 16 kilos weightloss but need todo more, especially regarding exercise. Thanks to all the other beautiful ladies  for their advice too.

Ronnie xx