How I found my cancer by accident

Options
myra_f
myra_f Member Posts: 8
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi,

my name is Myra and I'm 43 years old.  I have a strong family history of breast cancer, so have been diligent in breast screening since I was in my mid 30's, however all the knowledge and screening I had didn't prepare me for actually getting cancer. This is because I really had no idea that I had it.

I discovered the "lump" and I use that term loosely in early December 2013. I was lying on my back watching TV with my hand resting on my chest.  I was tapping my hand and noticed a sort of thickening sensation in my breast. It didn't feel like a lump.  All the literature says to look out for a lump or a dimple or a strange change to the breast. It didn't hurt and just felt a bit ropey or fibrous... like when you are massaging someone and you find a bit of a muscle knot.  Also, I kept losing where it was in my breast, so I really didn't think it was anything. I just filed it away in the back of my brain and went on my merry way.

Just after Christmas I was lying in bed again and I thought to myself, I wonder if that funny ropey thing in my breast is still there. So it took me a while to find it (and I only have small breasts, so it shouldn't take long), but yes there it was.  I had a pap smear due in a few weeks so I thought I'll get it checked while I'm at the doctor, but I still wasn't a bit concerned. I mean if it was cancer it would be a hard lump, right?

So mid January, I went along to my GP to get a papsmear and mentioned the weird ropey thing in my breast.  The doctor at first couldn't even find it.  When she did, she said it's nothing but because of my family history, best be safe and go for a ultrasound and mammogram.  So a week later, off I went for my ultrasound and mammogram. 

The radiologist found the small mass in my breast and also thought it was nothing, but said that to be on the safe side we'll biopsy it anyway just in case.

Well thank God they did... because 24 hours later I was told I had cancer, which was an absolute shock after all the assurances of "it's probably nothing".   A week and a half later I was in the hospital having a 15mm tumour removed from my breast.  It is now 3 weeks since my surgery and I'm waiting on the results of the Oncotype DX test to find out if there is any benefit to chemotherapy. Luckly the cancer hadn't spread to the lymph nodes and its hormone receptor positive, so I have a 92% survival chance at 10 years. 

I really wish I had gone to the doctor as soon as I noticed the lump and not waited 5 weeks.

The moral of this story is that even if you are dilligent at checking your breasts, women need to be aware of any and every change in their breast - anything at all, no matter how insignificant it seems. I'm not sure if that message is really out there, or if most women, like me are looking for an actual lump.  I can't stress this enough to my friends and family and I hope that my story may inspire others to get even seemingly insignificant changes checked.

Tagged:

Comments

• SueVR
    SueVR Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am a bit like you.  A very strong history of Breast Cancer so had been having Untrasounds and later Mammograms as well since I was in my mid 20's.

Imagine the shock when I noticed my breast didn't quite look right.  Did the right thing and went straight to my doctor that morning.  By 4-00pm that afternoon i was told I had Breast Cancer.  I had only had a Mommogram 8 months earlier.

9 lumps ranging from 2cm to 5cm (yes a lot of cancer) and 3 lymph nodes.  Luckily it had not spread any further.  To top it off I was also Triple Negative.  I am now 14 months on, after 18 rounds of Chemo, a masectomy, 25 doses of Radiation.

So I agree with you, go to the Doctor if something just doesn't feel right.  All the best.  Sue

• VivW
    VivW Member Posts: 266
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Myra,

Yes my lump was found by accident, all clear mammo & ultrasound 6 months prior.  Was having a fibrodenoma looked at and the lady doing the ultrasound, just as she was taking the device off me noticed something. Took 6 films and changed all the equipment on mammogram to show on film, couldn't be felt by anyone. Biopsy came back unconclusive, 20mm tumor removed stage 2 grade 2, hormone receptor positive and her2 neg. 

A lot of ladies are unaware of this Oncotype DX test, was not offered to me, please let us know how you go with this test.  

All the best, 

Viv

• myra_f
    myra_f Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you all for sharing your stories with me.  We are all very lucky that we found our cancers when we did. I guess no matter how vigilant you are at regular screenings, breast cancer can affect anyone at any time and it is a shock to us all when it does. Even if you know you are likely to get it one day, (due to a strong family history), it doesnt prepare you for the shock of when you do get it.

Viv, you are so lucky that the radiologist was onto it. I will definitely post the results and information on yhe Oncotype DX test when I get them.  I am also getting a BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene test as well. Thought I would go the works so I can make a really informed decision as to my treatment.

Good luck to you all. I wish you lots of love and best wishes in your journeys.

Myra

• WendyMac
    WendyMac Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2015
    Options

I too think I found my lump by accident.  I didn't go to the Dr straight away as I assumed it was probably only changes caused by aproaching menopause;  also didn't feel how I thought it was meant to feel; and no family history that I know of.  Long story short, I have two lumps now in my breast and have to get a mastectomy and have chemo.  I will nag everybody I know to get any change in their breast checked out as soon as possible.

• WendyMac
    WendyMac Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2015
    Options

I too think I found my lump by accident.  I didn't go to the Dr straight away as I assumed it was probably only changes caused by aproaching menopause;  also didn't feel how I thought it was meant to feel; and no family history that I know of.  Long story short, I have two lumps now in my breast and have to get a mastectomy and have chemo.  I will nag everybody I know to get any change in their breast checked out as soon as possible.