Daunting!!

Options
hmary
hmary Member Posts: 5
edited February 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Found out on the 16th Jan BC I was about to join you all.  Had a mastecomy of my left breast on the 11th Feb.  Went ok  quite sick after aenesthetic but only in hospital for 2 nights.  Have been feeling ok but during the night quite severe pain around scars is this normal for around the 4th day? I know it is a minor question and I'm sure I'll have 100s more in the weeks and months ahead. Helen

Comments

• Bearteggie
    Bearteggie Member Posts: 326
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Helen

Welcome to BCNA.  You have come to the right place where you will be supported and you can ask as many questions as you need to.

Having pain around your scar following mastectomy is very normal.  Your surgeon would have prescribed pain relief for you which you need to take as directed so that the pain doesn't get out of control.  If what they have prescribed isn't helping I would let them know asap so that they can advise what else you can take. 

I took pain relieve for about 8 weeks following surgery.  It is very early days for you and is to be expected.

All the best in your recovery and following treatments.  Please come back with questions we are all here for you.

Best wishes

Joy xx 

• Federica
    Federica Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Helen, welcome to the group. I will have mine on Thursday 20th feb so I will be following this post closely. Take care . Federica xx
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you can focus on the positives, on what is good rather than bad along this journey, you will be okay. While we all wish we were not in this situation there are still blessings to be counted and worse things that could happen. Look for the silver lining. Deanne xxx
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree with Deanne .Focus on the positives,and make sure you do your exercises.The exercises can hurt,and it pulls,but if you do them every single day,no matter what,you will be amazed at how quick you will improve.I had a single mastectomy ,and 4 weeks later,I had full use of my arm,and the pain was pretty much non existent.Like Deanne,after the first week,I didn't need pain relief.Take care,and come back here if you need help and advice.xoxo Cheers Robyn.
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree with Deanne .Focus on the positives,and make sure you do your exercises.The exercises can hurt,and it pulls,but if you do them every single day,no matter what,you will be amazed at how quick you will improve.I had a single mastectomy ,and 4 weeks later,I had full use of my arm,and the pain was pretty much non existent.Like Deanne,after the first week,I didn't need pain relief.Take care,and come back here if you need help and advice.xoxo Cheers Robyn.