New to group

Options
esjb
esjb Member Posts: 3
edited February 2014 in General discussion

Hi, My name is Eileen (48) my journey started 1/7/2013 with my annual checkup that found a dark spot in my right breast. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 23/8/2013. 1st surgery on 20/9/2013 had wide local excision and sentinel lymph node removed. It was Grade 2 Invasive Duct Carcinoma 17mm, Positive to Oestrogen and Progesterone Receptors but they found more Lobular Carcinoma In Situ (LCIS) pleomorphic. Lymph node was clear. Had 2nd surgery 25/10/2013 and found more LCIS. Started 4 rounds of Chemo 26/11/2013 and have just finished the 4th round 28/1/2014. Now planning masectomy and reconstruction for early March once I've cleared my 6 week oncology bloods. Finding it hard to decide what kind of reconstruction so thats why I've joined this group to read others journeys and outcomes from decisions made. I'm also hoping to make some friends along the way who understand what I'm going through. I home school my 2 boys through distance education, so we're home most days which doesn't give me much opportunity to get out and about to meet and make new friends. My husband works away and as its worked out he's not been at home for any of my surgeries or treatments which has been hard not having him at home and trying to stay strong everyday for my boys. I look forward to hearing your journeys. I hope I've done this in the right area as I'm new to this online blog stuff so appologies in advance.

Warm Regards Eileen 

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes you have done it the right way Eileen! it must have been very hard home schooling on your own and having your husband working away! This network is the best place to connect with people in similar situations,and get lots of good advice and help.Even just good for a chat sometimes.(24/7) I know there is a reconstruction group on here that I have seen lots of ladies talk about.I am sure that someone will be on here soon to direct you to it.I don't belong to it,as I decided against reconstruction.All the best with your decision,and I am sure with the help of the ladies on here,you will make the best choice for you.Take care and stay in touch.xoxoRobyn
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes you have done it the right way Eileen! it must have been very hard home schooling on your own and having your husband working away! This network is the best place to connect with people in similar situations,and get lots of good advice and help.Even just good for a chat sometimes.(24/7) I know there is a reconstruction group on here that I have seen lots of ladies talk about.I am sure that someone will be on here soon to direct you to it.I don't belong to it,as I decided against reconstruction.All the best with your decision,and I am sure with the help of the ladies on here,you will make the best choice for you.Take care and stay in touch.xoxoRobyn
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome to this network where you'll get lots of info and support. It must have been so hard having 2 surgeries with your husband away.I hope your boys are old enough to help you.Do you live in an isolated area?I think that's what we mothers do-stay strong for our kids.That's why it's good for you to "unload"with your fellow pink sisters at this network.As the girls above have said,you could join the reconstruction group to get good advice.If you are still undecided, you could have the mastectomy and then do recon later.One recon is the expander,followed by an implant which is a simpler operation and quicker recovery time.Another is the DIEP or TRAM flap where they use microsurgery to graft your belly fat to your chest. It is a lengthy operation(8hrs?)and you have a scar from hip to hip and takes a lot longer to recover.However,you do get a more natural effect. I've had a mastectomy and am in no hurry to have reconstruction.This was a recurrence for me so I'm abit paranoid watching my scarline.I can only have the DIEP op because I've had radiaiton in the past and my skin has no elasticity.There is alot to consider so take your time.Best wishes and big hug. Tonya xx

• jenpen
    jenpen Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Eileen

Like you, I have finished chemo 13 Jan (had 4 rounds) - had right mastectomy in Oct - and now thinking about reconstruction (have joined the online reconstruction group on this site)....not sure if I will get it done or not - but great we can research and chat to others about it to make our own decision!

I have a 10 yr old son & 11 yr old daughter, and live on a farm so understand your situation of being somewhat isolated from others in similar situations to ourselves - this website has been fabulous and you will gain so much information and help from the ladies on it!

Best of luck - Jenny

• esjb
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you lovely ladies for making me feel welcome!

I havent been able to reply till now as I had abit of a set back after my last round of chemo. I had been feeling more unwell than previous treatments, extremely light headed and just put it down to a build up of all 4 treatments and not resting as much as I really should. Unfortunately I was admitted to hospital for 3 days with severe vertigo.  My oncology doctor said it  was due to being on very high doses of chemo's which lead to a chemical reaction. Not nice as I couldn't move or walk without fallng over, or crashing into the walls as I did. I'm on medication now to help relieve the dizziness and I'm also doing physio exercises to help control the vertigo.  I'm still undecided on which kind of reconstruction, so I am going to see before and after photo's at the Breast Gallery. I am hoping it will give me more of an idea of realistically what to expect for the 2 reconstructions I'm looking at. My surgery for masectomy is scheduled for 18th March.  I have mixed feelings of yes I just want this cancer out to being abit scared at the same time, which I know I am not alone feeling this way.  I've booked a "Look Good Feel Good" workshop the week before my surgery to keep myself busy and to get some advice on how to make myself look abit better as I've got no idea how to draw on eyebrows and also how to tie these scarves so they dont fall off!

Warm regards Eileen

• esjb
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you lovely ladies for making me feel welcome!

I havent been able to reply till now as I had abit of a set back after my last round of chemo. I had been feeling more unwell than previous treatments, extremely light headed and just put it down to a build up of all 4 treatments and not resting as much as I really should. Unfortunately I was admitted to hospital for 3 days with severe vertigo.  My oncology doctor said it  was due to being on very high doses of chemo's which lead to a chemical reaction. Not nice as I couldn't move or walk without fallng over, or crashing into the walls as I did. I'm on medication now to help relieve the dizziness and I'm also doing physio exercises to help control the vertigo.  I'm still undecided on which kind of reconstruction, so I am going to see before and after photo's at the Breast Gallery. I am hoping it will give me more of an idea of realistically what to expect for the 2 reconstructions I'm looking at. My surgery for masectomy is scheduled for 18th March.  I have mixed feelings of yes I just want this cancer out to being abit scared at the same time, which I know I am not alone feeling this way.  I've booked a "Look Good Feel Good" workshop the week before my surgery to keep myself busy and to get some advice on how to make myself look abit better as I've got no idea how to draw on eyebrows and also how to tie these scarves so they dont fall off!

Warm regards Eileen