Now it's Mums turn!

Options
lynneb
lynneb Member Posts: 8

I can say at the present time I am cancer free! It has been just twelve months since my last Radiation treatment.

I worked the whole time I had treatment I was one of the lucky ones with a low grade cancer completly excised.

Unfortunately, late last year my Mum broke her wrist in three places and one day in the shower she found a lump just above her nipple.

She had a Doctors appointment the following day and mentioned it . She was sent to Ballarat for a mammogram and ultra sound and the next day she had a biopsy. News was not good stage 2 ductual carcanoma. So now on the 19th of Feb my beautiful strong mother is having her right breast removed. This took her by complete surprise as there is no breast cancer in the family except for mine last year.

The strange thing is every year religiously mum would have her free mammogram and when she turned 70 she was told she did not require them anymore. She has just turned 76. One of my co-workers mother had a breast removed last year and she is 84 so maybe these free screening should remain for more years.

I know my mum will come throught this perfectly fine as she is the strongest person I know she has had to endure many things in her life as a small child she spent from age 3 to 13 in and out of hospitals and plaster because of austomylitis in her right hip.

Mum was thrilled by the care package she received - now if I could only get her to read the information. I will be there for her. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Federica
    Federica Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lynneb, I am very sorry to hear about your mum diagnosis. You have gone throughout it all ( and congratulations for being cancer free !! ) and you will be a precious support for your mum .
    Wishing you and your mum all the very best.
    Federica xx
  • Federica
    Federica Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lynneb, I am very sorry to hear about your mum diagnosis. You have gone throughout it all ( and congratulations for being cancer free !! ) and you will be a precious support for your mum .
    Wishing you and your mum all the very best.
    Federica xx
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am sure you are going to be a great support for your Mum.My doctors Mum just had a mastectomy and she is 86! She came through it with flying colorsI loved your comment about the care package;). Has your Mum read it yet?All the best to your Mum,and please let us know how she gets on.There must be many older ladies on here that we don't get to hear about because their families are doing such a great job of caring for them:) And yes,I totally agree with you,why shouldn't screening be continued on indefinitely? It is probably based on percentages and what age is the highest risk.Take care.xoxoRobyn.
  • magicmum
    magicmum Member Posts: 285
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have just celebrated with Breastscreen Tas their 21st birthday - nearly 500,000 women screened over that time. And many like me have had their lives saved.

I agree that screening should continue, and in fact should start earlier. But the director of BS Tas reported that still only 40% of eligible women are being screened. It would be good if they could screen anyone who wanted it, no matter what age.

I wish your mum all the very best, may she sail through as you have. I suspect you are both very strong women.

much love

magicmum

• lynneb
    lynneb Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Options

thank you to all who have read and replied to my post. Mum rang the other night and talked for about an hour in regards to the next few weeks ahead. She had just had a visit from the Glen McGrath Breast Care Nurse and wanted to tell me everything she had learnt. And yes she says she did read the information sent to her. The only thing she was unsure of was the scan for the nodes which I filled her in on. I know that she will be fine as I said before she is very strong. The only thing we are not sure of is whether she will have to have any other treatment, as you all know it will depends on the results. I know the tablets that I am on are causing some minor effects mainly aches and pain in the joints and others things but I put up with it I never had to have chemo unlike many of you. So I have got of easy thanks to an early mommogram. One thing I have noticed since I was a diagnosed in 2011 several of my friends have since gone and had a mammogram, it was good that my diagnosis made others aware that they too could be carrying cancer cells, oh yeah all of them were clear.