An idea;)

Options
Robyn W
Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
edited February 2014 in Health and wellbeing
Ladies ,I had an idea! I was thinking,that on this wonderful network,every time someone needs advice,there is always someone to help.No matter what the problem.Most problems are around physical issues after surgery or during treatment,or problems with our emotions,our feelings.Many of us are getting into exercise to help with some of these things,and there are lots and lots of ways to exercise.Sooo...I thought wouldn't it be great,if those of you who exercise regularly,and find it beneficial,could share what you do,with the ladies that are just starting out.For me,walking is my saviour!If it rains,I carry an umbrella,and if it's hot,I STILL carry an umbrella.lol. Cheers Robyn.xoxoxo

Comments

• joeybutts
    joeybutts Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh Robyn your amazing...i love reading all your posts, they are full of experience and strength..

I am so unmotivated atm. I am 17 days post of from having a lumpectomy and removal of 8 nodes, all of which are clear, which is great. Hopefully I will hear from the oncologist on monday with an appointment time so I can find out what is the next stage for me.

I think its the waiting and the process being so drawn out, along with getting tired that is making me so unmotivated. I love lying in bed with a cuppa and my computer and sunrise and by the time I am ready to move, its too hot to go walking, I have unfrozen my gym membership which I can use from tomorrow, so I plan to hop on a treadmill and walk, I like going to the gym, its been something I do with my daughter, its been awhile since we have been able to go together..

I havent gone back to work yet, my work can be quite heavy at times and the thought of using my arm for 8 hours sends me in a panic, so I am having another week off..and then when or if chemo/radiotherapy starts I will be just working 1 day per week...I dont know if its me not being busy that is making me less motivated or its the whole bc diagnosis, lumpectomy, pain, numbness that I have not gotten back into living and being busy...

I am 50, and going into 3rd year of a bachelor of nursing just part time, lectures start this coming week, so maybe that will help me get back into the swing of things...

Anyway I am waffling now, but will be glad to hear what others do for exercise, might help me get motivated...and move more and maybe eat less!

Thanks

jo

• Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the support!I just took my band to the park and put it round a small tree!I busted my boiler,lol,and just got back home,sweating in places that I didn't know you could!!!I feel great though:) Good on you doing your nursing degree.My son is a registered nurse.Take care.xoxoRobyn
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I walked 4-5 km before diagnosis. Like Robyn I kept this up as much as possible throughout my treatment. I am fortunate to have a treadmill so walk on this while playing up beat music when the weather is not good. I also do a few yoga stretches after my walk each morning. I find walking early, before breakfast works best for me.

Since finishing treatment I have been keen to be active in as many ways as possible. It is just so good to be able to enjoy an active life again. I swim, have been kayaking in a river and am going to start Pink Pilates soon. I have also been bush walking which I love. My husband is keen to go cycling, so this will be something else to add to the mix. I like variety! I like my solitary walks (lots of good thinking time) but I like doing activities with family and friends too.

Great idea for a post, Robyn. I'm interested to hear some more ideas. :) Deanne x
  • Federica
    Federica Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2015
    Options

Before being told I have BC I was determined to run  the Mothers Day Classic  in Sydney again. I did it 2 yrs ago and skipped last year as I went through a lazy time and put lots of weight on. But this year as I was getting fitter and slimmer I was determined to do it. Well , no matter what I am even more determined now. I will  crawl if I have to , but I am going to do the MDC this year !

• tannie53
    tannie53 Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well done Robyn! A very positive blog. I love walking! My husband and I do a 45 min walk each day. Like Deanne I have a treadmill for those days when the weather isn't the best. I also have a couple of exersise DVDs just to break it up a bit. Leslie Sanstrom has a good walking /strength building DVD. Anything that keeps the body moving. I haven't started Chemo yet so I am determined to keep it up throughout my treatment.

Tanya x

• tannie53
    tannie53 Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well done Robyn! A very positive blog. I love walking! My husband and I do a 45 min walk each day. Like Deanne I have a treadmill for those days when the weather isn't the best. I also have a couple of exersise DVDs just to break it up a bit. Leslie Sanstrom has a good walking /strength building DVD. Anything that keeps the body moving. I haven't started Chemo yet so I am determined to keep it up throughout my treatment.

Tanya x

• Viv_C
    Viv_C Member Posts: 92
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Robyn, Great thread, and I will never miss an opportunity to promote dragon boating. It combines a good core workout with maintaining flexibility in shoulders and arms that some people find helps prevent and deal with lymphodema, and it is a fun team activity you can do with fellow breast cancer survivors. Generally you need to have finished your treatment for about 3 months before you start it though. I walk for half an hour in my local park every morning, rain or shine, and only missed a few days after my surgery when I at least walked to the end of the street. I bought a pedometer when I started chemo to give me something to aim for - a minimum of 5000 steps a day and where possible up to 10000. I have been given some abdominal strengthening exercises by the hospital physiotherapist after my TRAM reconstruction that include some resistance work with bands and I try to do these as well as my arm exercises every day. The big problem, especially now I have gone back to work, is finding the time to fit it all in. I was a sedentary slob when I first had breast cancer 12 years ago, and the wake up call I got made me put a much higher value on my physical health and fitness, so I do try to maintain it now. Thanks for the thread and sharing your ideas Robyn Viv

• Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    Options
    At my group session about exercise,a couple of weeks ago,we watched a short movie about dragon boating.The exercise physiologist was telling us about how good it is.It was an American movie,and in some places over there,it is common for ladies to come straight from treatment and go dragon boating! If they are too tired,they just sit back and let the others row! Is that done here also?Cheers Robyn.xoxo

• Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It is 99 days today until the Mothers Day Classic.i am going to be doing the Sydney one with my daughter.Do your live in Sydney Federica?xoxoRobyn
  • Viv_C
    Viv_C Member Posts: 92
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Absolutely, it's OK to rest when you like. We do have people who start while they are still undergoing treatment and people like me who try to continue through any further treatment. On race days, we like people to be fit enough to keep going if possible, but on training paddles you do what you can. And we have the 'princess seat' at the front of the boat where the drummer sits on race days. I'm sitting in that in my profile picture, as it was taken less than 4 weeks after my mastectomy and TRAM flap surgery, when I couldn't paddle but went out for the ride.
    Viv xxx
  • Federica
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Robyn , we' ve moved to Sydney 3 yrs ago, before that we used to live in Canberra , where my husband is from.
    It is so nice that you're able to share these experiences with your daughter , she really is a lovely young woman .
    My plan was to run the 8km with my husband ,but maybe , depending on the treatment I will be doing,I will have to choose the 4km which we could do all together as a family. One thing is for sure: it will be a very emotional experience. Hope to have a chance to meet you there!
    In the meantime , I'll keep going out for my peaceful evening jogs, usually at 7.45 pm straight after I put the girls to bed , I do one lap around the golf course which is almost exactly 5km .
    Have a lovely day today ladies
    F xoxoxo
  • Yoga nut
    Yoga nut Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Being a Physio this is a hot topic for me :)

The nurses looked at me sideways but I took my yoga mat into hospital when I had my double mastectomy 10 weeks ago ...I figured there was nothing wrong with my legs !
    Pre surgery I walked about 8km/ day during the week and 12 km on the weekends and did 4 yoga and Pilates classes a week . I was back at my first yoga class 8 days post op ( which I modified quite a bit ! But it was amazing how much i I COULD manage) since then have either walked 8km/day or been to my usual yoga class 4 times a week despite the chemo . If i feel awful I figure ill just go and lie on my mat and do a few twists ...but once I get there and start breathing I suddenly feel great and manage the whole class. The range of motion and strength in my arms and shoulders has been back to its preop level for the past 3 weeks .
    I haven't done 12km walk yet largely because its just been too hot . I also haven't been to my Pilates class ...I know I would physically manage it now with no problems but yoga offers so much more in terms of meditation , breath work and healing energy ( which I can definately use more of right now !) Plus 2 of my teachers run a pretty physical class so it is actually equally demanding to my Pilates class .
    And the happy thing for me is my scarf stays on while I'm upside down !
    Professionally , I think the main thing is to find something you love .... Whether its walking , biking, ,dancing , swimming, gym classes . Then you are more likely for It to become part of your life routine . It is neither sustainable , realistic or enjoyable to force yourself to do an activity you really don't enjoy. Maintaining a level of exercise is a big issue , not just for us BC ladies but for many people with chronic illness , There is new and overwhelming research about exercise reducing the risk of cancer recurrence so it's an essential part of our "treatment " and one we can have a large amount of control over .
    Fear not If you' ve never done much exercise!!....every day is an opportunity to start , try something new . It often works best if you have a " buddy" with you for company , encouragement and a good laugh ! There are subsidised exercise physiologist sessions for cancer patients in many Capital cities so that can be a good place to start if you feel unsure where to begin . All the best and Happy Moving to us all :)
  • Yoga nut
    Yoga nut Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Being a Physio this is a hot topic for me :)

The nurses looked at me sideways but I took my yoga mat into hospital when I had my double mastectomy 10 weeks ago ...I figured there was nothing wrong with my legs !
    Pre surgery I walked about 8km/ day during the week and 12 km on the weekends and did 4 yoga and Pilates classes a week . I was back at my first yoga class 8 days post op ( which I modified quite a bit ! But it was amazing how much i I COULD manage) since then have either walked 8km/day or been to my usual yoga class 4 times a week despite the chemo . If i feel awful I figure ill just go and lie on my mat and do a few twists ...but once I get there and start breathing I suddenly feel great and manage the whole class. The range of motion and strength in my arms and shoulders has been back to its preop level for the past 3 weeks .
    I haven't done 12km walk yet largely because its just been too hot . I also haven't been to my Pilates class ...I know I would physically manage it now with no problems but yoga offers so much more in terms of meditation , breath work and healing energy ( which I can definately use more of right now !) Plus 2 of my teachers run a pretty physical class so it is actually equally demanding to my Pilates class .
    And the happy thing for me is my scarf stays on while I'm upside down !
    Professionally , I think the main thing is to find something you love .... Whether its walking , biking, ,dancing , swimming, gym classes . Then you are more likely for It to become part of your life routine . It is neither sustainable , realistic or enjoyable to force yourself to do an activity you really don't enjoy. Maintaining a level of exercise is a big issue , not just for us BC ladies but for many people with chronic illness , There is new and overwhelming research about exercise reducing the risk of cancer recurrence so it's an essential part of our "treatment " and one we can have a large amount of control over .
    Fear not If you' ve never done much exercise!!....every day is an opportunity to start , try something new . It often works best if you have a " buddy" with you for company , encouragement and a good laugh ! There are subsidised exercise physiologist sessions for cancer patients in many Capital cities so that can be a good place to start if you feel unsure where to begin . All the best and Happy Moving to us all :)
  • Federica
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you Yoga nut , beautiful and inspiring message.
    I am determined to try yoga and combined it with my walks. And you are so true , whatever you love, doesn't have to be something not enjoyable. Just wondering if there is a yoga course targeting people recovering or going throughout treatment for BC.in Sydney, must do some research . Have a great day and all the best to you too. Federica xx
  • Federica
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you Yoga nut , beautiful and inspiring message.
    I am determined to try yoga and combined it with my walks. And you are so true , whatever you love, doesn't have to be something not enjoyable. Just wondering if there is a yoga course targeting people recovering or going throughout treatment for BC.in Sydney, must do some research . Have a great day and all the best to you too. Federica xx