Told I have breast cancer

Options
Federica
Federica Member Posts: 69
edited January 2014 in General discussion
Hello there,

Today 30/1/2014 I was diagnosed with breast cancer, or better, ive been told I have breast cancer. I felt a big lump on my left breast just before Christmas, booked for a mammogram on the 14th and 2 weeks later ( last Tuesday ) I received a letter from the breast screening clinic saying that further tests were required. I went today and after another mammogram I had an ultrasound. At the end of this the radiographer told me that it is indeed breast cancer, no mistakes. I than had a talk to the surgeon before the core biopsy which confirmed that it was cancer. I'll be given the result on Tuesday , 4th February. I am scared , I am petrified of what they may find But whatever it is I'm ready to fight.

Comments

• Federica
    Federica Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you Deanne, I really appreciate your message. I am completely in shock and still need to adjust to the idea of having cancer but having to take care of my girls needs, tonight ( dinner, bath etc) it's making things easier. My mum had breast cancer at 49 and survived so I was kind of expecting the sentence , but still hoping it would be something else.
    You are so right, it's the worry, the stress of negative thinking , the what ifs that's hard to avoid but I am determined to fight this thing.

Between the chores I had a brief chance to read your story, you have been and you are a very brave woman and stories like yours are true inspirations for us newly diagnosed, as you have experienced first hand, it's an incredibly scary time.

Thank you Deanne and I will definitely write again about my fight.
    Federica x
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis also.I was diagnosed last sep. 2nd,and I still remember that day as if it was yesterday.I was so scared,I could hardly function for the rest of the day,and I kept breaking down in tears.As the other ladies have said,try to keep busy with your day to day things,until you see the doctor.I am sure you will find that once you have seen him,you will begin to feel more in control.I was told the exact same thing by the ladies on here,and they were right.Go walking,clean the house,do stuff with the children.Whatever it takes!I found the nights the worst,and I would sometimes come on this network,and read other posts.You will notice that a lot of posts on here are written in the wee small hours:)Take care Federica,and be sure to let us know how you are getting on.Big hugs.xoxo Robyn.
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis also.I was diagnosed last sep. 2nd,and I still remember that day as if it was yesterday.I was so scared,I could hardly function for the rest of the day,and I kept breaking down in tears.As the other ladies have said,try to keep busy with your day to day things,until you see the doctor.I am sure you will find that once you have seen him,you will begin to feel more in control.I was told the exact same thing by the ladies on here,and they were right.Go walking,clean the house,do stuff with the children.Whatever it takes!I found the nights the worst,and I would sometimes come on this network,and read other posts.You will notice that a lot of posts on here are written in the wee small hours:)Take care Federica,and be sure to let us know how you are getting on.Big hugs.xoxo Robyn.
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options

Like all the lovely ladies above have said, welcome to this wonderful network. We are all here to listen and to support you through this very distressing time. We've all been through it and we totally understand how scared you are. I was diagnosed 20th December 2012 so I'm on the other side of the tunnel now. I had two tumours in my left breast, had a lumpectomy, 6 months of chemo, bilateral mastectomy and immediate reconstruction, I'm still having three weekly infusions of Herceptin (targeted therapy for HER2 + tumours) and I'm on daily hormone therapy tablets for at least 5 years. It all sounds a long long process doesn't it but I must say that 2013 went by really quickly. I think once you get into a routine (and you do) with a plan of action, you'll be busy with appointments and treatments and time will go by quickly.

Hang in there and stay as positive as you can. This IS doable and your Pink Sisters are here to help you through. Jump on here anytime to update us with what's going on with you, you can rant and rave or just chat. We are here for you :)

Love and hugs 

Janey xxx