1st time user

Options
Julie E Gordon
Julie E Gordon Member Posts: 8
edited January 2014 in General discussion

Hi all, my name is Julie and I live in the Huon Valley/Channel area in Tasmania.  Well what a whirlwind of a fortnight from a call back for a second mammogram and biopsies........three days later confirmed four cancerous lumps..............masectomy six days later.  What a blur!!!!  I can honestly say all is good as far as the emotional side of life for me, I have accepted the fact I have had my breast removed, however.......its the physical limitations that are taking time to deal with.  My goodness my arm pit is so tender to touch and the pulling in my shoulder and chest is continuous along with an aching back.  I saw my surgeon a week from surgery and his advise was to push my arm up against the wall and take pain relief or risk a frozen shoulder and 9 months of intense physiotherapy!!!  Thankfully I am now sleeping some of the time on my side which is my natural sleeping position rather than on my back - pillows parallel to my back certainly helps.  I would love to hear any feedback or suggestions.  Back to the surgeon tomorrow.  Regards Julie

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The tenderness in the armpit and the pulling is normal.The very best exercise for this is to stand side on to a wall,and walk your fingers up the wall,as far as you can.Hold and count to 5 then walk your fingers back down.If you can do this in the shower,with hot water running on your back,it really helps.Try to do it a few times a day.It does pull,but it gets better ,and the more you do it,the quicker you will get there.The skin under my armpit was really sore to touch for weeks.I am 5 months past my mastectomy,and it feels perfectly normal now.All the best with your recovery Julie.Let us know how you go.Cheers Robyn.xoxo
  • Julie E Gordon
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Robyn thank you so much I now feel what I am experiencing is normal. I will work on the stretches xoxo
  • Julie E Gordon
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi other Julie!! Thank you for responding. Yes my nodes are clear. Will make a decision regarding reconstruction down the track. I did receive the pack and I have started doing the gentle Pilates exercises which seems to help a little. xoxo
  • Julie E Gordon
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Tonya Thank you!!! It makes so much better. I feel I am now improving all the time xx
  • Julie E Gordon
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Tonya Thank you!!! It makes so much better. I feel I am now improving all the time xx
  • Julie E Gordon
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • Julie E Gordon
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • Julie E Gordon
    edited March 2015
    Options