Couldn't swim

Options
Dlhcba6
Dlhcba6 Member Posts: 39
edited June 2014 in Health and wellbeing
Yesterday when I finally ventured into water after a week of insanely high temps, I found that I could not use my arm to swim!

I was really shocked as it works perfectly fine to hang washing, drag washing from machine, fold washing, put washing away, cook, vacuum, mop, clean the bathroom, make beds, drive, iron....but hell...couldn't swim without sinking. I have decided this has major ramifications when I am on the boat watching my children water ski and will now don a life jacket.

But...what should I be doing?

I have done the exercise info given to me by the surgeon...I live in a rural setting so not a lot of rehab options. In fact I was advised of a cancer rehab group that is happening while I am 200 kms away have radiation. I asked when they ran it again? Was told same time next year. Now I'm guessing there would be by few takers a year after treatment is finished wanting to go to cancer rehab?

I'm a little worried that if I just try and rehab myself I may hurt something. My reconstruction was done at the same time as mastectomy, so pec muscle works very differently on my right side.

Fingers crossed I don't get it to wrong.

Lisa

Comments

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am 6 weeks post op a bilateral Tram flap recon and have just realised that my chest is really tight when I try to swim. I too was surprised as can hang washing etc. now that I know it, I will be gently stretching that area Are there any encore programs where you live? Or is that the one you are talking about. They run a few a year where I live. It was really good when I did it.
    Good luck with radiation. Maybe you could see a Physio while you do that?
    Paula
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Maybe you can have some physio while you are having your radiation treatment? Even a couple of sessions to show you what to do so you can then do it yourself. They should be able to advise you of a good physio where you are having your radio treatment as many people have physio while going to radiation.

I have not had reconstruction but find swimming great exercise for my arm and chest area (I had aux clearance and mastectomy in May 2013). I still do not have normal movement in this area (radiation really did me no favours in this regard) but it is improving with constant exercise and stretches. Hope you can get some assistance with this. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hmmm you raise a good point Lisa. I am thinking about going back to swimming for some exercise with my mum (partly because she needs to exercise as well and this is something she likes, she's 78). I have no idea whether I'll be able to do it. Never really thought that a double mastectomy and reconstruction might effect me trying to swim. Food for thought! I won't be surprised then if I have difficulties. Will have to use a kick board, where floaties and stay in the kiddies pool :)
    Thanks for bringing this up.
    Janey xxx
  • JeanineG
    JeanineG Member Posts: 135
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel as I had double mastectomies with expander implant reconstruction 18 months ago. When I went on holiday 9 months later, I was shocked that I was unable to stay up in the water as my pectoral muscles are not how they were pre-BC. I have since started doing rehab Pilates under supervision and that has made an enormous difference to my upper-body strength. I would encourage you to find a similar service - even if just for one session so that you can go home with specific exercises recommended by a qualified rehab physio.

Good luck,
    Hugs - Jeanine