Moving on

Options
Erica Shadiac
Erica Shadiac Member Posts: 190
edited January 2014 in Health and wellbeing

I can't believe it's been so long since I last posted.... I have definitely moved on. I finished Radiotherapy on Nov 22 and although I'm still having 3 weekly Targetted Therapy with Herceptin intravenously I have to remember when to go!

2013 was diagnosis, surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy and targetted therapy. Only worked for a few weeks at the start of the year plus a few staff development days during the year. But officially I am now off leave and back at work (although it is still holidays!). Next Monday I will start back and be playing catch up for a while and then reacting to the needs of staff as the new school year begins. Really looking forward to it! Miss the staff, the kids and the mental stimulation.

I have a full cover of hair now but it is soft and curly but not long enough to uncover all the time - not feminine enough for me and too harsh for work - vanity I know! But here at the beach with friends I have been going without the wig on hot days. Trouble is everyone says how good my hair looks and I have to tell them it's not mine! Pity my real hair doesn't look as good as the wig!

Feeling really good and 'normal'. Have a scan of my remaining breast in Feb (just to check) and the next appointment with my case manager (my Surgeon, Jim Kollias) on March 4 - exactly a year from my surgery when the cancers were removed.

Life is good. Life goes on. Have had a great year spending so much time with my man, my daughters, my grandkids and lots of trips away, short and long distances! Will miss these opportunities but more will come up.

Happy New Year! May there be many happy, positive moments in all our lives and new adventures that bring us pleasure. x

Comments

• Bearteggie
    Bearteggie Member Posts: 326
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Erica

Congratulations on getting through all your treatments and now returning to work.  I found your post very inspiring as I start my chemo this Friday.  I love your attitude and that even though you were having treatment you still enjoyed your life with your family and had great moments while on holidays.

Very best wishes for your future cancer free life.

Love

Joy xx

• Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well 2013 has gone hey. Thank goodness. Glad you are happy and moving on. All the very best in starting back to work. I start back next month so I'm making the most of my last month away, spending some quality time with my husband. It's so great to be at this end of the tunnel isn't it.
    Enjoy.
    Love Janey xxx
  • Erica Shadiac
    edited March 2015
    Options

Donna, so pleased to hear you LIKE your new curly hair style. I've also always had straight hair and am not sure about the fluffy hair. But I like your attitude! I'm going to try to see it like that too. Still very short.... feels good though! 12 months I'm told to be back to 'normal' hair. But, hey, a change is as good as a holiday!

Cheers, Erica

• Erica Shadiac
    edited March 2015
    Options

Joy, hope your journey is as 'easy' as mine was. Yes there's $%#@% times but they pass and we move on! So much to enjoy every moment of every day we have.

All the best. Erica 

• Bearteggie
    Bearteggie Member Posts: 326
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Erica for your kind wishes.  I am having my hair cut into a pixi cut today ready for D-Day tomorrow.  I have been for an hours walk tomorrow and am feeling surprisingly calm. 

Love  Joy x

• Erica Shadiac
    edited March 2015
    Options

Daina, it's amazing how even as an adult soft cuddly toys can feel so good, so comforting! I have my daughter back 'home' so can cuddle her now. Her godmother gave her a huge soft elephant for Christmas to comfort her - having left South Africa and missing her animals there. (She's 28 and loves her soft toys!)

My blog has been my own personal record. I need to take the time to see if I can print it out...... Never know when the Net will let you down.... Want that 'back up'. Mind you my blog has not finished. I want to keep recording 'life after cancer'.

All the best. Erica

• Erica Shadiac
    edited March 2015
    Options

Daina, it's amazing how even as an adult soft cuddly toys can feel so good, so comforting! I have my daughter back 'home' so can cuddle her now. Her godmother gave her a huge soft elephant for Christmas to comfort her - having left South Africa and missing her animals there. (She's 28 and loves her soft toys!)

My blog has been my own personal record. I need to take the time to see if I can print it out...... Never know when the Net will let you down.... Want that 'back up'. Mind you my blog has not finished. I want to keep recording 'life after cancer'.

All the best. Erica

• Erica Shadiac
    edited March 2015
    Options

It's amazing really how quickly we got to this end of the tunnel - seemed slow at the time but can't remember that now we're here! Like going through childbirth - we forget about the pain and do it again! Let's not do cancer again though!! Good luck with your return to work too. Cheers, Erica