back to normality

Options
TinaW
TinaW Member Posts: 153
edited January 2014 in Health and wellbeing
Well today is my first day back to work after my double mastectomy and I'm really worried how I'll go. Looking forward to getting back to some sort of normailty but don't want to leave my little cocoon of my house :(

Comments

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

I know how you feel, when I was home I felt alone and isolated and wanted to get back to wrok so very much, when the time came I was scared. I was so afraid I would no longer have it in me, that my chemo brain would surface and make me look foolish, but I was back here about 30 minutes and I realised that was silly, that I did have it and that I was the only person judging me.

Its great to be back with your peers, to have a sense of purose and have normalacy in your life again, though believe me you will get sick of telling your story, its all well meaning but thats the most tiresome part of returning to work.

Good luck.

Donna

• mgndam1603
    edited March 2015
    Options

I know how you feel, when I was home I felt alone and isolated and wanted to get back to wrok so very much, when the time came I was scared. I was so afraid I would no longer have it in me, that my chemo brain would surface and make me look foolish, but I was back here about 30 minutes and I realised that was silly, that I did have it and that I was the only person judging me.

Its great to be back with your peers, to have a sense of purose and have normalacy in your life again, though believe me you will get sick of telling your story, its all well meaning but thats the most tiresome part of returning to work.

Good luck.

Donna

• mgndam1603
    edited March 2015
    Options

Good luck.

Donna

• Bearteggie
    Bearteggie Member Posts: 326
    edited March 2015
    Options

I haven't returned to work yet following my right mastectomy 6 weeks ago.  I start chemo on Friday but do hope to do a few hours every week if I can.  I can totally understand the apprehension of leaving Your "little cocoon" but I am sure like Donna said, after 30 mins or so you will feel right back at home.

Have a great day.

Love

Joy xx

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

Enjoy your cup of tea, you earned it. Best wishes,

Hazel xx

• TinaW
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone it's great having you all for support xxx
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am still on sick leave after my prophylactic mastectomy and double tram flap reconstruction 4 1/2 weeks ago. Due back at work in two weeks. Feeling good but starting to feel a little apprehensive about the return to work. I know I will be ok as have done this twice before with my two diagnosis and chemo treatments. The first day is always the hardest. Well done you and good luck.
    Paula :)
  • mum2jj
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am still on sick leave after my prophylactic mastectomy and double tram flap reconstruction 4 1/2 weeks ago. Due back at work in two weeks. Feeling good but starting to feel a little apprehensive about the return to work. I know I will be ok as have done this twice before with my two diagnosis and chemo treatments. The first day is always the hardest. Well done you and good luck.
    Paula :)
  • mum2jj
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Tina. Yes it's been a rough 4 years but my recent surgery has been two years after the second diagnosis so plenty of time to prepare for it. Plan to steadily get ready for work in two weeks whilst still pottering along. Luckily I only work part time so not too stressed. It's just getting back on the bike again...we women get good at that though. Hope your days continue to do well and you get to relax with a cuppa at the end of each day

Paula:)
  • mum2jj
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh dear. Hope today is better for you.
    Hugs

Paula x
  • mum2jj
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh dear. Hope today is better for you.
    Hugs

Paula x
  • mgndam1603
    edited March 2015
    Options

Poor love, I hope that today is a better day and that each day it improve that little bit more for you.

donna

• Chrisy
    Chrisy Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Tina, I found that my state of mind and health was still fragile after going through left breast mastectomy, chemo, radiotherapy then trying a range of hormone tablets, I could only do part time volunteer work for a start as I got very tired late afternoon. I am an early riser. I refused to return to split shifts, consistant meetings and training where I was working. Just turned 61 last month. Its taken 2 years since this all started, my strength is back and this year I get a reconstruction which will lay me up again for a while.  Insurance helped for 2 years but now need to earn money again. Cancer changed my view on life: I take one day at a time, do what I can, don't let anything or anyone bother or presure me. Having to get dresses some days is a chore, especialy in hot weather. Body image has impacted most as I live on the Gold Coast and beach is my love despite wearing bathers with a singlet top to swim my prosthesis has a mind of its own and it cracks me up when it's moved around.  I do what I can to be fit and healthy love painting (oils), sew, garden. Next year I will ge going back to work but at my own pace. Brain stimulation and lots of laughs come from my true friends and family. Listen to your body and do what you feel most comfortable doing.  Lots of love. Chrisy
  • TinaW
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Chrisy Im at MOunt Tamborine so probably not far from you. I work at southport so I'm on the coast everyday if you ever fancy catching up for coffee?
    I'd love to be able to go part time but my job just won't allow it, which then would mean I need to look for a new one and would struggle with the bills I think, I can live in hope I win the lotto :) xx
  • Bearteggie
    Bearteggie Member Posts: 326
    edited March 2015
    Options

I admire you in that you have returned to work.  I started my first chemo treatment last Friday and am still so very sore from my right mastectomy on 20th November.  The fatigue is starting to affect me now and being my first round, I'm not sure what to expect.  I am struggling with accepting the loss of independence and doing the things I enjoy for the moment.  Just wondering, how long did it take you to feel up to returning to work.

I live at Pacific Pines which is close to you too.  Maybe in the future we could  catch up.  Right now I am just taking it slow but would be intereted to know if I am being impatient.

Hope you have a good day today.

Love

Joy xx