Life after treatment.

Options
Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited December 2013 in Health and wellbeing
Hi everyone,
Just 3 months ago I had finished 6 rounds of FEC and D and was about to start 5 weeks of radiation. I had a weekend away with my hubby to celebrate the end of chemo. We stayed in a lovely retreat which had a 250m boardwalk to get to our cabin. Despite trying to walk as much as possible during chemo I was very weak by the end of it and could barely manage the walk to and from our cabin.

As soon as I could, I started to walk again for exercise during radiation. I now walk at least 3km every morning. As well as this it was suggested that swimming is a good form of exercise for the arm after surgery, so I began swimming once my skin had recovered from radiation. I now regularly swim 500m and today managed 1km! I have been on tamoxifen for 1 1/2 months now but have virtually no side effects (the odd hot flush but not as bad as I had on chemo).

My eyebrows and eyelashes are back and my hair is growing! I feel healthy again with a new lease on life. I enjoy the little things and try not to worry about things beyond my control. I concentrate on looking after myself so I can be there for family and friends who have been such a support to me for the last 8 months. So for all of those who are about to start or are undergoing treatment, life can be good again at the end of that very long roller coaster.

Thank-you to all the wonderful ladies who helped me through the rough patches. This network was my lifeline when it seemed so hard to get through the next round, the next day or even the next hour.

Wishing good things for everyone in 2014. Deanne xxx

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

So glad to hear how well and fit you feel after all your treatments.It's a long haul but you are through with flying colours.How good to be starting 2014 with a clean slate.Wishing you health and happiness for 2014. Tonya xx

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You have done so well,and you sound so fit!This is what I am aiming for.I do the walking now,and ride my bike each day.There is an aquatic centre at the end of our street,and I have been thinking of starting swimming.I hope that 2014 is full of all good things for you Deanne.I follow your blogs because they always inspire me,so don't stop blogging!! Cheers and happy new year. Robynxoxox
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Tonya, you are one of the people who kept me sane during all this. Happy New Year. Deanne xx
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I won't stop blogging, I want to help others like I was helped during the hard times. It's funny but I've never swam for fitness before because it was always a hastle with the hair! Don't have that worry at the moment with my very, very short post-chemo style. I'm thinking of keeping it relatively short (but definitely longer than it is right now!) as it makes for a simpler life. I am loving the swimming and find the water soothing and somehow therapeutic on my recovering body. Keep up your exercise, if you enjoy it I think it helps mentally as well as physically! Happy New Year, Robyn.
    Deanne xx
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Sharl. Hope 2014 is as good as possible for all of us. Happy New Year! Deanne xx
  • Bearteggie
    Bearteggie Member Posts: 326
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Deanne, 
    Congratulations on finishing your treatment and thank you for sharing how well and fit you are now feeling.

I have only been here for 5 weeks since my mastectomy.  You have been so quick to respond to my posts and have really helped me with the emotional stress that I have experienced so far.  When I have started  to panic I have gone back and re read your words over again.  You have help me keep everthing in perspective and inspired me to take each day as it comes, for that I am forever grateful.

Have a wonderful healthy 2014 and live life to the max.

Love

Joy xx

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

Happy New Year to you and it sounds like it already is. You were one of if not the first to respond to my first blog and have continued to be an inspiration. I am so happy that life is good for you now, you sound super fit. I'm glad you are going to continue blogging and help others through tough times, you always seem to say just the right thing. Best wishes to you, 

Hazel xx

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

Happy New Year to you and it sounds like it already is. You were one of if not the first to respond to my first blog and have continued to be an inspiration. I am so happy that life is good for you now, you sound super fit. I'm glad you are going to continue blogging and help others through tough times, you always seem to say just the right thing. Best wishes to you, 

Hazel xx

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank-you Joy. Reading other people's bloggs really helped me to get over the fear of the unknown. I decided that for me the best way to cope was to do everything I could to help myself. I kept an open mind about side effects and did what I could to minimize them. But sometimes you just have to go with it. I remember being a bit scared that weekend when I realized how the chemo had weakened me despite my best efforts. But it was amazing how once I started to feel better, my body recovered quickly.

I really hope your journey goes as smoothly as possible. This network is such a support to all of us as we negotiate our way through that long tunnel. Just remember each day is a day closer to feeling better again. You will know more about what lies ahead after your appointment tomorrow. Let us know how you go. Thinking of you. Deanne xx

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Hazel,
    Hope you are going ok after your chemo yesterday. Halfway now!
    I'm not super fit but I am feeling good and I enjoy what exercise I do. I know that it will help minimize the chance of recurrence a little bit more and it gives me more energy to make the most of life right now.
    I'm glad that I can reassure others that you can get through all the rough days and come out ok. Thinking of you and hoping you and your partner will be feeling better soon. Deanne xx
  • All smiles
    All smiles Member Posts: 59
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Deanne ,

So glad to read you have come through your treatments and are regaining your energy. You sound really happy.

I have 6 weeks of chemo left now and have well and truly hit a wall with fatigue ! I'm in tears daily wondering if i will ever feel well again and am so frustrated that I can't do everything my daughter wants me to do.
    I love reading your blogs - you articulate everything so well and give me hope. X

Happy New Year
    Sophie xo
  • All smiles
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Deanne ,

So glad to read you have come through your treatments and are regaining your energy. You sound really happy.

I have 6 weeks of chemo left now and have well and truly hit a wall with fatigue ! I'm in tears daily wondering if i will ever feel well again and am so frustrated that I can't do everything my daughter wants me to do.
    I love reading your blogs - you articulate everything so well and give me hope. X

Happy New Year
    Sophie xo
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I found the last 6 weeks and a little bit after I finished chemo the hardest part of the whole BC experience. I was in a permenant bad mood and nothing anyone said or did seemed to help. It was so exhausting, monotonous and just plain awful. In the end I just spent my days watching DVDs and wishing I had a fast forward button for me!

But it is amazing how in just a few weeks I started to feel like me again. My life is wonderful now and I hope yours will be soon. I am constantly appreciative of feeling better at the moment and keen to do anything I can to stay feeling that way. I am enjoying spending time with my family and spoiling them a little after what we all went through.

Hope the next few weeks pass quickly for you so you can begin to feel better too. Take care. Deanne xx
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You are also one of the people on here who we all gain inspiration from. Your advice helped me through some trying times! Hope you had a lovely Christmas and that your experimental surgery works to improve the 'alien boob' and make life a whole lot better for you in 2014. Take care. Deanne xx
  • All smiles
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for our kind words. Was having an awful day today with hot flushes and bone pain..... But up and a little brighter now...

Take care xxx