Hi there

janinaj
janinaj Member Posts: 75
edited November 2013 in General discussion
Hi there, I'm Janina. I've arrived home from hospital yesterday after having an axillary dissection and mastectomy on Wed are/eve 20th Nov.

I was diagnosed in late Oct with grade 3 DCIS at around 26mm and IDC at around 38mm on its axis.

I feel quite sick at the moment. Might have come home too early. Got no instructions on which meds I have taken today to continue with the regime. Every department at Cairns base hospital a said the other department would know. Also just been knocked around a bit with coming home. As expected, they tell you not to leave the hospital until you are ready and then give you two minutes warning that your being discharged and you will need to argue your case if you want to stay. Apparently having surgery 36hrs prior and is not enough of a case.

Having said that, I'm glad to be home and I'm eternally thankful to have my partner here with me. I know so many people go through this alone and I just can't imagine... I'm so glad that they have breasts care nurses like Sandra Gregg these days. She is truly wonderful.

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Welcome to BCNA. I hope you are feeling better soon. The trip home from hospital is surprisingly exhausting. Take it very easy at first. Let that wonderful partner of yours look after you.

I had a mastectomy and 8 nodes removed in May this year. I did not need much pain relief for very long. Although I was very glad that I took an Endone before the car trip home!

It sounds like you have a good breast care nurse so that will be great if you need any medical advice. This site is great for discussing how you feel with ladies who understand exactly what you are going through. It's also a good source of information. Hope things go smoothly now you are home. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Just ask your GP to give you a script for Endone. I will still take it if I'm feeling particularly sore at night. Handy to have around.
    Janey xxx
  • Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015

Sounds like you were rushed about, hope you settle in ok at home. Breast care nurses are wonderful, so you are ok there. Take it easy when you're body tells you too and I hope you feel better soon. This site is great if you need someone to connect with and ask questions. Take care,

Hazel xxx

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    When your home rest is precious, and I remember if people wanted to see me I said no if I didn't feel up to it, accepting help is sometimes hard but it's great, I found if they asked can I do anything I asked them to cook a meal it was a blessing to just warm up a meal. Utilize your breast care nurse they are wonderful. Hope your not to uncomfortable. Regards adean xx
  • janinaj
    janinaj Member Posts: 75
    edited March 2015
    Thanks ladies. Great advice. I have seen my GP and feel that I am a bit more sorted and in control on the pain front with some decent anti nausea tabs which feels good. Also found out today that I was supposed to be clearing my wound drain twice a day and it was only being cleared once. As soon as I found out I cleared it and the relief was imminent!. It felt soooooo good! If only I'd known that sooner.... Never mind....

Thanks again,
    Janina