Not quite the right time for me.

Options
Hazel M
Hazel M Member Posts: 708
edited November 2013 in Health and wellbeing

Hey everyone, pretty down today, lasted only 32 hours without smoking. I seriously thought i could do it, but i was climbing the walls and finally succumbed. So disappointed. Should have got some patches or something, not sure if they will affect my chemo next week. Will ask oncologist. Cold turkey seemed like a good idea, but anxiety attack followed last night. After seeing the condition i was in, my partner (non smoker), suggested cutting down and getting something to aid me, he commented I have enough on my plate at the moment without setting myself these other goals. My GP doesn't like the products that are out there, he always says to just stop it! Anyhow, i still want to give up, i will come up with another plan. 2 more sleeps till chemo begins. Going to lunch today with girlfriends, most of whom will question me about puffy eyes. I am questioning whether it was a valiant effort or a dismal failure.:( 

Comments

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2015
    Options

Not quitting is just part of the quitting 'journey' --most people make several-many attempts;  before quitting for good, and i do know a long term breast cancer survivor who still puffs away...

this message is not endorsed by any health standards....and a picture of a breast cancer survivor puffing away probably wont makes 'good copy' they all seem to be walking, cycling, or rowing...

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2015
    Options

Not quitting is just part of the quitting 'journey' --most people make several-many attempts;  before quitting for good, and i do know a long term breast cancer survivor who still puffs away...

this message is not endorsed by any health standards....and a picture of a breast cancer survivor puffing away probably wont makes 'good copy' they all seem to be walking, cycling, or rowing...

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    32 hours is great! I am sure in the not too distant future,you will do it.Because you want to.Keep on trying,it nearly always takes more than one try! well done.xoxoRobyn
  • Hazel M
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks robyn, i was so sure on friday, so positive, then it all went haywire:( Too much on my plate at the moment. My aim now is to cut down, and keep working at it. My partner told me 32 hours was good, i thought it was weak. I even felt cowardly posting it online, I'll keep myself more realistic and eventually i'll get there.

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Maybe quitting smoking needs to be done one step at a time too. You've taken the first 2 steps, deciding and trying cold turkey. Now the next step might be getting some help from your doctor.

It is probably very wise to check with the oncologist about patches etc.

You have the right attitude, keep working at it and you will get there! Deanne xxx
  • NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015
    Options

Always check with you doctor first.  Patches work well for most people and take the anxiety away, 24/7.  You can go on some tablets for anxiety instead, short term, while you give up and not use the patches.  But stress will cause you to smoke, so its a tuffy!

Wow, lots of pressure.  There are great websites with info, or visit a chemist you trust.  Your GP isnt helpful or compassionate, damn!  Some dont have any tact.

1 check with your Dr

2 try to relax as much as possible because you enemy is called "worry"

Good Luck Bel

• NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015
    Options

Always check with you doctor first.  Patches work well for most people and take the anxiety away, 24/7.  You can go on some tablets for anxiety instead, short term, while you give up and not use the patches.  But stress will cause you to smoke, so its a tuffy!

Wow, lots of pressure.  There are great websites with info, or visit a chemist you trust.  Your GP isnt helpful or compassionate, damn!  Some dont have any tact.

1 check with your Dr

2 try to relax as much as possible because you enemy is called "worry"

Good Luck Bel

• Hazel M
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks ladies, I realise now I might have bitten off more than I can chew. I still intend to stop smoking for good, but i'm being more realistic. I have cut down to 10 a day, i am going to check with the oncologist tomorrow morning when i have my first chemo treatment, ask what i can safely use and take it from there. My intentions were good, my timing was atrocious, but as the saying goes, live and learn:)

Hazel xxx