My care Kit - advice for BCNA

Options
LouiseTurner
LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
edited October 2013 in Community news and events
Hi ladies,

BCNA need our help. Ahead of the launch of a new post op bra they seek the following information

1. Who received the My Care Kit from BCNA via their Breast Care Nurse?
2. What they think about it?
3. What do you wear now?

Cheers Louie

(In case you are wondering I lost this whole post trying to fix the link, so have left the link out. The contents of the kit is viewable in the ' information for professionals' tab.)

Comments

• Adriannenessel
    Adriannenessel Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1) Received my kit prior to having bilateral mastectomy. Breast care nurse ordered it after discussing it with me at an appointment prior to my op.
    2) Bra fitted me perfectly prior to op, but as I am only 4 weeks post op I have not worn it yet.
    3) I currently wear just t shirts or shirts.
    Regards Adrianne
  • Adriannenessel
    Adriannenessel Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1) Received my kit prior to having bilateral mastectomy. Breast care nurse ordered it after discussing it with me at an appointment prior to my op.
    2) Bra fitted me perfectly prior to op, but as I am only 4 weeks post op I have not worn it yet.
    3) I currently wear just t shirts or shirts.
    Regards Adrianne
  • LouiseTurner
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was made aware of the My Care Kit by my breast care nurse when I had my first lumpectomy surgery. The kit was not ordered for me as my breasts were too large for the largest size they had avaiable.

2. What do you think about it?

I thought it was a shame it was not made in a size to suit me and other larger ladies

3. What do you wear now?

I wore arh bras immediatly after surgery, now 5 months post mastectomy I wear a regular underwire t shirt bra.

cheers L:)

• LouiseTurner
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was made aware of the My Care Kit by my breast care nurse when I had my first lumpectomy surgery. The kit was not ordered for me as my breasts were too large for the largest size they had avaiable.

2. What do you think about it?

I thought it was a shame it was not made in a size to suit me and other larger ladies

3. What do you wear now?

I wore arh bras immediatly after surgery, now 5 months post mastectomy I wear a regular underwire t shirt bra.

cheers L:)

• annie58
    annie58 Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was given the kit at St Andrews in Adelaide by the breast care nurse. It fitted perfectly. I wore it for the first couple of months and thought it was good. Thankyou Berlei. I now wear any bra that will fit my reconstructed boobs. Must be coloured and prefer prints, never beige.

• Annie13
    Annie13 Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2015
    Options

I received the kit from by breast care nurse. The bra was an absolute god-send! Being able to do up at the front and back, with no wire and super comfortable. I liked it so much I went and bought another one online.

Post bi-lateral reconstruction I just wear ah-bra type bras.

• Annie13
    Annie13 Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2015
    Options

I received the kit from by breast care nurse. The bra was an absolute god-send! Being able to do up at the front and back, with no wire and super comfortable. I liked it so much I went and bought another one online.

Post bi-lateral reconstruction I just wear ah-bra type bras.

• KatRoberts
    KatRoberts Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1. I received my care kit after my mastectomy. Was ordered by my breast care nurse.
    2. At first glance I hated the bra as it was so "granny" but once I wore it I loved it as it was so comfy.
    3. I have worn the Berlei bra right up till my recent reconstruction. Currently wearing crop top singlets, ahh bras or nothing at all..
    Kat
  • sbp
    sbp Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2015
    Options

1. My Care Kit was ordered for me by my breast care nurse after my mastectomy.

2. I loved it as it fitted perfectly and had a soft prosthesis which made me feel instantly 'normal' when I had to face the shops etc. As it was months until I could buy a proper prosthesis and mastectomy bra and ahh bras. However I found it did dig into my mastectomy scar under my arm.

3. At the moment I mainly wear a Marena Comfortwear which is a surgical garment rather than a bra as I've had 17 lymph nodes removed and this item seems to give me less grief. When that's in the wash I still wear the ol' faithful Berlei so thank you very much, Sandra xx

• Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1. The My Care Kit was ordered through Breast Screen Victoria after my initial diagnosis.

2. The Berlei Bra supplied after I gave my size was too tight and uncomfortable it was a 14B. I'd been wearing the Smart Bras up until then so I found that the Berlei bra was quite different in size. After calling BCNA after getting a larger size (16B) I was told it didn't come in a 16B only a 16C so I didn't bother with it and returned it to BCNA. I eventually found the Berlei Bra at Myer AND it did come in a 16B. I still don't like wearing it as I find it still is uncomfortable for my type of wounds.

3. I don't like wearing any Bra but I will wear the Smart Bra (like a Genie Bra or Arh Bra) but I am only three weeks out from my surgery.
    Janey
  • Miss Sue
    Miss Sue Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options

I received my kit via post. It was ordered for me by my breast care nurse who had visited me  in hospital after my mastectomy. (My surgery was in Sydney, however my home in Port Macquarie). 

My breast care nurse was amazing, explained the kit and the soft form prosthesis.

I agree with other comments regarding the look of the bra (very grannyish) but it was sooooo comfortable and with the front closure so easy to put on. It was great to have this to wear while waiting till I could be measured for my prosthesis and then until its arrival. Actually it felt so good to have something to wear and feel partway normal again. I was so conscious of being lopsided! 

I have had a reconstruction (Jan '13) and have just been fitted for a 'normal' bra! Was so happy to have such a variety to choose from and to not have to wear a prosthesis.

• Miss Sue
    Miss Sue Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options

I received my kit via post. It was ordered for me by my breast care nurse who had visited me  in hospital after my mastectomy. (My surgery was in Sydney, however my home in Port Macquarie). 

My breast care nurse was amazing, explained the kit and the soft form prosthesis.

I agree with other comments regarding the look of the bra (very grannyish) but it was sooooo comfortable and with the front closure so easy to put on. It was great to have this to wear while waiting till I could be measured for my prosthesis and then until its arrival. Actually it felt so good to have something to wear and feel partway normal again. I was so conscious of being lopsided! 

I have had a reconstruction (Jan '13) and have just been fitted for a 'normal' bra! Was so happy to have such a variety to choose from and to not have to wear a prosthesis.

• Jewel
    Jewel Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options

I received my bra in the post after my first surgery (2007) which was ordered by the breast cancer nurse.

I found the bra didn't suit my shape, I tried to wear it but it was uncomfortable.  I wore crop tops after my 3 surgeries (lumpectomy, wider local and mastectomy).  I was fitted for a bra to wear with a prosthesis until I had my implant reconstruction then found some maternity bras that worked ok for me.  I was fitted for another exprensive bra prior to my second freeflap reconstruction which didn't accommodate my disappointing reconstructed breast very well.  I am back to wearing soft cup maternity bras but yet to find a bra that really looks or feels right though.

• VivW
    VivW Member Posts: 266
    edited March 2015
    Options

1. I received the Berli Bra but nothing else that was in the My Care Kit via the local Breast Care Nurse.

This nurse didn’t contact me until weeks after my Lumpectomy and after I had started radiation.  I went everywhere to find a suitable bra and it was only when I told her this did she order the bra for me. If I had worn this bra immediately after surgery then I don’t think I would have had the problems of blood clots in the crease of my breast, and across my stomach, and suffered with the discomfort of my normal bra.

2. It was depressing looking at this bra when it arrived as it was so ugly (perhaps if it was a pale pink it would be more appealing?), but I was relieved to get into something that was comfortable. It was a godsend.

3. I am still wearing my Berlie bra 5 months later with an insert. For extra support I wear a crop top over it when I got for my nightly walk.  Have not put myself through the depressing scenario of going bra shopping, now C cup on left and E on right. :(

• leanne 29
    leanne 29 Member Posts: 78
    edited March 2015
    Options

1 - My breast care nurse at RAH ordered the kit and it was mailed to me.            2 - I was disappointed because bra was size 20DD and after my double mastectomy with tissue expanders reconstruction, it was way too big. Maybe after implants it may fit.                                                                                                      3 - A bra fitter came in on day 2 and showed me bras by amoena with front clasps and I now own 4 pair - 2 plain beige and 2 pretty white and also wear the good support Ahh bras and have bought some nice lacey ones,which I never wore before cos I was big and my size were too expensive.                                     The kit bra also is not very flattering - I agree different colour and style.