The Best Stress Relief

Options
NaturalBel
NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
edited September 2013 in Health and wellbeing

OMG I have stumbled across the best stress relief I have come across, other than Pilates.

KNITTING.  My Mum has just taught me how to knit and even though its just endless rows of pearl alternate plain, I now wish Id learnt this earlier through the winter months.  I relax and find it very enjoyable.

I think that its an old skill that needs a revamp!  Better late than never, here is a pictue of a row I did earlier!  Oh and Mum kindly gave me two fluoro balls of wool to take home to practise with!  I tell my husband I am knitting him a night vest for him to wear on his motor bike, or a beany!  He cant wait (hahahaha)!  

Comments

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

when my children were little I used to knit but haven't done it in years. Through my treatment I said to Michael I wanted to learn to croquet, I haven't managed to do that though.

I am planning on going back to work next month so maybe I had better learn how to now.

You are lookig fantastic and the hair has grown heaps. Mine is thick and wavey, I wonder how long the waves will stay.

Take care

Donna

• Cherylek
    Cherylek Member Posts: 197
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Love the photo! Cheryle :)
  • Cherylek
    Cherylek Member Posts: 197
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Love the photo! Cheryle :)
  • VivW
    VivW Member Posts: 266
    edited March 2015
    Options

Fantastic Bel,

Also wanted to let you know that kniitting is great for your hands, you will find this beneficial especially after hairdressing for so many years.

My mother knits and it keeps her fingers from going stiff.

Happy knitting.

Viv

• Maria333
    Maria333 Member Posts: 191
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ah never too late Bel, I was taught to knit by a very talented lady I met early on thru. my cancer journey. Knitting can be called mindfulness meditation because we focus on the pearl, plain, pearl or whichever stitch it may be. So it is relaxing and even better you have a great prduct at the end you can share. I have been involved with knitting plain squares, which were then crocheted or sewn together to make blankets for a group of people that were in a meditation class. to keep them warm and cozy whilst learning to let go of their pain thru meditation.

You have brought back great memories for me.

Enjoy enjoy.

• Maria333
    Maria333 Member Posts: 191
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ah never too late Bel, I was taught to knit by a very talented lady I met early on thru. my cancer journey. Knitting can be called mindfulness meditation because we focus on the pearl, plain, pearl or whichever stitch it may be. So it is relaxing and even better you have a great prduct at the end you can share. I have been involved with knitting plain squares, which were then crocheted or sewn together to make blankets for a group of people that were in a meditation class. to keep them warm and cozy whilst learning to let go of their pain thru meditation.

You have brought back great memories for me.

Enjoy enjoy.

• annie58
    annie58 Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was invited to knit tiny hats for premmie babies and it has been a most rewarding experience to join this group.

They also make baby gowns for the hospitals. The gowns are tiny and have little studs at the shoulders to make them easy to get on and off. So cute. I have knitted about 30 hats this winter, all different .It has relaxed me and has helped my mental health.

Today a girl rang and needed an outfit for a prem babe that passed away. Its made me look at life differently. Life is precious.

Annie

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi knitting is a great thing , where I work in aged care we have a group of ladies who also knit for prem babies, they call themselves The knit and natter group the chatter that comes from the cafe inside our facility where they knit is infectious and everyone who walks by stops and goes in to see what's going on. Regards adean
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi knitting is a great thing , where I work in aged care we have a group of ladies who also knit for prem babies, they call themselves The knit and natter group the chatter that comes from the cafe inside our facility where they knit is infectious and everyone who walks by stops and goes in to see what's going on. Regards adean
  • magicmum
    magicmum Member Posts: 285
    edited March 2015
    Options

I knitted all through chemo - my daughter is having a baby in November so I have made a shawl for her, and also one for a friend of hers who is due about the same time. It is incredibly therapeutic. All your concentration and focus goes into the pattern and your mind gets a rest.

Good for you. Find a knitting group in your area - there's bound to be one - and you will have a whole new set of friends.

much love, keep well

magicmum

• magicmum
    edited March 2015
    Options

haha - knots in the middle, I remember doing that too.

I never tie a knot anyway, I just start using a new ball whenever and use both strand for about 3 stitches. It doesn't show at all.

I just started boottees. I know they're old fashioned but SOOO cute.

magicmum

• magicmum
    edited March 2015
    Options

haha - knots in the middle, I remember doing that too.

I never tie a knot anyway, I just start using a new ball whenever and use both strand for about 3 stitches. It doesn't show at all.

I just started boottees. I know they're old fashioned but SOOO cute.

magicmum