Brisbane

Options
Jennib
Jennib Member Posts: 16
edited August 2013 in Community news and events
Hi....is anyone out there getting treatment at hoca in Brisbane????

Comments

• Peta76
    Peta76 Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi... I did chemo at the Wesley. Dr Vasey is my oncologist. I finished my last chemo in May.

Peta

• Peta76
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi... I did chemo at the Wesley. Dr Vasey is my oncologist. I finished my last chemo in May.

Peta

• Jennib
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi PETA...well I hope all went well. Was dr vasey part of hoca? We're you happy with the treatment?

Jen
  • Jennib
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi PETA...well I hope all went well. Was dr vasey part of hoca? We're you happy with the treatment?

Jen
  • Peta76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jen. My chemo was called "TAC" and I handled it really well. Yes Dr Vasey was part of HOCA. Everyone was really nice. I notice reading through some of the posts on this site a lot of people had a different chemo treatment than mine even though we are all triple negative. Have you started chemo yet?

Peta
  • Peta76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jen. My chemo was called "TAC" and I handled it really well. Yes Dr Vasey was part of HOCA. Everyone was really nice. I notice reading through some of the posts on this site a lot of people had a different chemo treatment than mine even though we are all triple negative. Have you started chemo yet?

Peta
  • Jennib
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Peta...I start chemo on 28th (next wed)....feeling a little stressed about it but ok. Did you also have radiation? Jen
  • Peta76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You will be fine. Of course you will be stressed out. That's normal. Do you have someone to go with you? My mum always came. Yes I had radiation -6 weeks worth. Do you need to? I wasn't sick with chemo. It made me very tired for the first week. I would just stay in bed. Then the second week I would get some strength back and the third was really good. Felt pretty normal in that third week.
    I think it's the waiting that's the hardest. And you hear all these horror stories but its amazing how strong you can be. And the will and determination to beat this. I just kept thinking if young children can go through chemo , then I can! There's always someone worse off and if they can do it, so can I. That's what helped me anyway. Good luck with everything. What hospital are you going to?
  • Peta76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You will be fine. Of course you will be stressed out. That's normal. Do you have someone to go with you? My mum always came. Yes I had radiation -6 weeks worth. Do you need to? I wasn't sick with chemo. It made me very tired for the first week. I would just stay in bed. Then the second week I would get some strength back and the third was really good. Felt pretty normal in that third week.
    I think it's the waiting that's the hardest. And you hear all these horror stories but its amazing how strong you can be. And the will and determination to beat this. I just kept thinking if young children can go through chemo , then I can! There's always someone worse off and if they can do it, so can I. That's what helped me anyway. Good luck with everything. What hospital are you going to?
  • Jennib
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I will be at the mater hoca.....have private health cover so hopefully most things will be covered....live up in Airlie so will have to travel to Brisbane for treatments....will turn into an expensive exercise by the end of it all. Jen
  • LeighAnne
    LeighAnne Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jen, I believe that is possibly were i will be. I have an appointment on Tuesday ( 27th ) with Dr Mainwaring. He is on the list at the HOCA website. My breast surgeon is Dr Pyke and he gave me the referral. I have no idea what to expect and feeling a bit nervous. Hope he's nice. Good luck to you. Cheers Leigh
  • Jennib
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Leigh Anne.....Dr Pyke is so nice...he did an excellent job on my surgery. His secretary Karen is also awesome and so very helpful. Dr Pyke also referred me to Mainwaring.....he is a real hoot! Very funny man...I feel very comfortable with dr Mainwaring. He has a nurse working with him called Kate Oneill. She is also excellent. This will be my first chemo on Wednesday and so I am very very very nervous....not looking forward to it at all. We are from Airlie beach so will be traveling down for treatments....or maybe staying there depending on how things go. When did you find out and when do you start chemo? Jen
  • LeighAnne
    LeighAnne Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jen,  You have no idea what a relief it is to have someone with the same "Dream Team" lol.  Yes Dr Pyke is very nice and did an excellent job on my Lumpectomy.  I was diagnosed on the 11th of August with Invasive Ductal Carinoma and by the 12th was seeing Dr Pyke and by the 16th it was out!! I see Dr Mainwaring tomorrow.  I have Stage 2, Grade 2 ER+ PR+ Her2 - ( apparently I am the perfect cancer patient  !!! ) but due to my age ( was 41 but had a birthday after lumpectomy... i know... hey Happy Birthday here is Breast Cancer !  )  42, Dr Pyke said that I will have Chemo, Radiation and Hormone Therapy, it his words they will throw everything at me. YIKES. Anyway I am up for this challenge. How about you Jen.  Please email me direct if you wish llunney@****.au.  If you ever need a coffee ( are we still allowed that during Cheno ?? ) please I am all ears. Have a great day Jen.  Cheers Leigh

• Lynda M
    Lynda M Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jen  My name is Lynda I to went to Hoca at Mater with Dr Pyke and Paul Manwaring, after triple negative diagnosis. I finished treatment in April last year. I live in Brisbane and started a support group for tnbc awareness. We meet once a month for coffee, but also have a facebook site, as well as being on BCNA. In July we held an information evening for tnbc with Pyke and Manwaring as our speakers.  This year we launched triple negative breast cancer day with a luncheon on 3.3.13 and will be doing the same 0n 2.3.14.  Chris and Paul are very supportive of our group.  You may like to join our mailing group for monthly Newsletters.  Let me know our E-mail is tnbcawarenessgroup@****., or post on bcna.  Lynda