Need some positive stories

Options
Lara O Perth
Lara O Perth Member Posts: 37
edited July 2013 in Health and wellbeing
I am a 43 yr old pediatric nurse. I have a supportive husband and two fantastic kids, daughter nearly 8yrs and son 10yrs. I was diagnosed with minimum stage 2 breast cancer last Wednesday the 26th June. I am having a lumpectomy on the 5th July and am petrified that there will be cancer in my lymph nodes. My nursing experiences are mainly in intensive care have given me mainly fatal stories about cancer and I am really struggling to remain positive. I need survival stories from those with a similar diagnosis to give me some hope. I wish right now I new nothing medical at all because my thoughts are torturing me and I am struggling to sleep even with temazepam .
Can anyone offer me some positive stories please.
Lara
xxx

Comments

• magicmum
    magicmum Member Posts: 285
    edited March 2015
    Options

It is all scary, and so unfair when you are so young. But I truly believe in the power of positive thinking.

Look at your beautiful family, enjoy every moment with them, plan things with them, force your mind to push away the dark thoughts. Embrace whatever treatment you can have to fight it. Just take one day at a time, try not to project the might bes and what ifs.

I KNOW it is hard, I've done it too. I am one year down the track and it gets easier.

I have all fingers crossed for positive results from your lymph.

magicmum

• Jody
    Jody Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lara,

I am 49 and was diagnosed in march this year, had a partial Masecomy and was told that my lymph glands were clear by an ultra sound and would only have to have radiation.
    After the OP that went well, a week later had to path results, the lump was alot larger that they thought but it had started to go into my lymph nodes. This meant that i now would have to have Chemo, Radiation and 5 years of tablets - my husband and i were devestated, but when the Doc explains to you in percentages of the benefits of having all the treatment or only radiation the window of recovery was huge and a no brainer to our decision.

I am half way through my chemo, then 6 weeks of everyday radiation and then 5 years of tablets, but the outcome is good for me.

Please i know it is hard not to dwell and think the worst - the WAITING is the worst, but wait for the results and deal with it then.

Hope to keep reading on your progress honey, all the best with the OP.

Jody xoxoxoxoox

• LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lara, I was diagnosed at 41 in June 2012 with multi focal stage 2 grade 2 IDC lymph nodes clear. I have had 2 lumpectomies that did not remove all evidence of disease so after chemo finished had a bilateral mast and skin sparing free tram flap reconstruction. I am 12 weeks post that last surgey.

The waiting is the hardest part I found. Waiting for results is torture. But whatever the news, knowing is better than not knowing and means you can move forward with whatever you need to do.

So now I am 12 months on and completing treatment in December (as I was her 2 Positive thus on herceptin). I am returning to work after the holidays. I feel strong and reparied, a;most like before this whole cancer episode. I still have revision surgery and nipples and plan to be complete by the end of this year.

I hope you get clear nodes, but until they get in there they will not really know staging and grade anyway. I should also say that having an MRI was my turning point and am very glad i had one as it resulted in a better diagnosis of DCIS and subsequent need for the mastectomy. Otherwise we would not have known what was there.

Hard as it is its all doable. i found i was not worried about some things like i thought i would be; eg loss of hair and no nipples. But somehow, I think due to my great kids, I just soldiered on and we had plenty of laughs.

Take care and ask heaps of questions and always get your pathology reports to do your own research so you know whats going on. XXX Louie

• NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015
    Options

If I tell all the women on the BCNA website to look out their front window and tell me what they see, then that is what breast cancer is like.  It all depends on the view, the attitude and your own experience.

I had to have 2 operations to remove nodes, but I never once felt terror, just thought, lucky it hasnt gone further.  As you go through your own experience, it will greatly depend on how you think.  and how positive the stories are around you.   I found It is easy to focus on the negative because its not great being diagnosed with Cancer, but you do adapt and ultimately, trying to be a  positive person, I feel will have more positive result .   I am so glad the view from my window was tranquil.

xx Bel

• NaturalBel
    edited March 2015
    Options

If I tell all the women on the BCNA website to look out their front window and tell me what they see, then that is what breast cancer is like.  It all depends on the view, the attitude and your own experience.

I had to have 2 operations to remove nodes, but I never once felt terror, just thought, lucky it hasnt gone further.  As you go through your own experience, it will greatly depend on how you think.  and how positive the stories are around you.   I found It is easy to focus on the negative because its not great being diagnosed with Cancer, but you do adapt and ultimately, trying to be a  positive person, I feel will have more positive result .   I am so glad the view from my window was tranquil.

xx Bel

• NaturalBel
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was 46, it was 8 months ago.  Stage2, Grade 3.  I had a tidy removal of the tumour with minimal scaring.  2 ops under the arm to clear the nodes and the operations were no drama.  I see you used the word, minimal, that good right!  I am Triple Negative and if I wanted to panic, I could have because that is a more difficult one to treat.  But I also think its a bonus because I dont have to take those tablets for the next 5 years.  (smile).  I noticed you have family support.  Thats wonderful, some women dont.  Your beautiful children are old enough to understand and I think thats a bonus.  Most women eventually leave behind the constant contact, so the survivors are out there back at work or doing other fabulous things they didnt get to do before this happened.  There are plenty of positives..... oh and there is ONLY ONE YOU AND NO 2 PEOPLE GO THROUGH THE SAME DIAGNOSIS OR TREATMENTS.  (very often).  (smiling helps).  Big hug, Bel

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lara, I was 52 when diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago. I too had stage 2 grade 3, with no nodes. I am a nurse as well, so know exactly what you mean about hearing all the bad stories from your nursing experiences. Sometimes a bit of knowledge is a bad thing, and I fell into that category. The advantage though, is that you will understand more about the cancer and your treatment, as you will already understand the medical lingo, and won't have to learn what must seem like a foreign language to those who are not in the medical field. I have had a double mastectomy, and reconstruction with implants, 4 rounds of chemo and am now on Femara for up to 10 years. I have just recently moved to Perth. Are you here as well? Wishing you all the best with your surgery. Love Chris xx
  • Lara O Perth
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well my surgery is tomorrow morning.
    And I feel that I have already come a long way with my attitude. I have read all your encouraging stories, visited a councillor at breast care wa who was wonderful, coped with going to work after the news had broken (got hardly any work done that day thanks to well wishers but that's Ok for one day) spoken to many helpful people and I am feeling cautiously optimistic.
    So a big thank you to everyone.
    I will let you know how I get on.
    Thanks for all the hugs too.
    Lara

• Lara O Perth
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good news, no malignancy in my lymph nodes so far.
    I am So so relieved!!
    Surgery went well but I had a big bleed under the wounds about 2 hours after surgery and had to go back into theatre to stop the bleeding. So I had to stay in hospital for a bit longer. I am home now and doing ok other than a a massive amount of bruising which is quite sore. I really don't mind though as I am still so happy about my lymph nodes. Just got to wait for all the final pathology now which I don't find out until the 18th which seems so far away. Just really hoping that my lymph nodes are still clear after this report.
    Thanks again for all the wonderful messages.
    I look forward to being on the other side of this so I can help others the way you have helped me.
    All the best to everyone.
    Lara
  • Lara O Perth
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good news, no malignancy in my lymph nodes so far.
    I am So so relieved!!
    Surgery went well but I had a big bleed under the wounds about 2 hours after surgery and had to go back into theatre to stop the bleeding. So I had to stay in hospital for a bit longer. I am home now and doing ok other than a a massive amount of bruising which is quite sore. I really don't mind though as I am still so happy about my lymph nodes. Just got to wait for all the final pathology now which I don't find out until the 18th which seems so far away. Just really hoping that my lymph nodes are still clear after this report.
    Thanks again for all the wonderful messages.
    I look forward to being on the other side of this so I can help others the way you have helped me.
    All the best to everyone.
    Lara
  • susie_Q
    susie_Q Member Posts: 43
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lara, so pleased to hear (read) that your nodes are clear, that is great news. The next few days are the hardest..waiting.......   waiting for results, I remember yelling at the phone one day because it just wasn't the phone call I was waiting for...I did apologise to it after tho...silly  but it helped to relieve the tension in the waiting. I had to wait about 3 weeks for some of my test results. Sending you very best wishes for a comfortable recovery and good results.   Sue  
  • susie_Q
    susie_Q Member Posts: 43
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lara, so pleased to hear (read) that your nodes are clear, that is great news. The next few days are the hardest..waiting.......   waiting for results, I remember yelling at the phone one day because it just wasn't the phone call I was waiting for...I did apologise to it after tho...silly  but it helped to relieve the tension in the waiting. I had to wait about 3 weeks for some of my test results. Sending you very best wishes for a comfortable recovery and good results.   Sue  
  • Lara O Perth
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Sue
    Yelling at the phone sounds like a great idea.
  • fungooleyruley
    fungooleyruley Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lara,

Just had a read of your blog and am so pleased for the surgery result you have had.  I was diagnosed in September last year and because I had worked at the BreastScreen office in Perth a few years ago I was reasonably aware of what was going on.  I ended up with two surgeries because the first one didn't get the clearance required but thankfully my nodes pathology came back clear.  I completed 6 weeks of radiotherapy in April and I must say that apart from the odd bit of stiffness and a diagnosis of gastritis which has been connected to the radiotherapy, I am feeling pretty good.  Going to the last Perth Group get together and spending time chatting to the other ladies in the group has also given me a more positive outlook, so if you are in a position to come along to the next one on 24 August I can guarantee wonderful company.  Be positive and don't forget that there is plenty of support for you out there!

Vicki R oOo

• Lara O Perth
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi All again,
    I got my final pathology results today from the lumpectomy, .
    My tumor ended up being larger than previously thought at 35mm, it had also extensively invaded my blood vessels which means cancer cells could be anywhere in my body now.
    Also after further pathology of the removed lymph nodes that were previously thought to have no cancer they found a very small metastese in one of the lymph nodes.
    And the tumor itself is a Grade 3!!!
    So I am really flattened by all this, I was so happy after my surgery and all this hit me like a truck.
    Only good news is I have estrogen and progesterone receptors and am HER2 negative.
    I now have to spend all of tomorrow having full body CT and bone scan to look for tumors in other parts of my bbody. I really hope I am due for some good luck soon, as I am running low on optimism.
    Lara