Cancer is in the Past

Options
Allicat
Allicat Member Posts: 83
edited June 2013 in Health and wellbeing

Something I used to say to myself while I was going through treatment was 'One day this will all be in the past'. And I think that this week I arrived at that day.

I still have a silicone breast forever and tablets and injections for another 3 years but in my head I feel like maybe I'm not traumatised any more.

Today I had a haircut and lost the last of my chemo-curls. I loved my curls and they looked gorgeous (not just me saying that, everyone said so!) But for reasons of practicality I needed shorter hair. I feel a bit sad, but also a bit pleased as I had been reluctant to get them cut off and this week I felt like I could.

When I was at counselling earlier this week talking about my latest worries, the counsellor mentioned something about my cancer and I felt like the cancer didn't matter any more. That is too strong a way of putting it but I guess what I mean is that it no longer effects my day-to-day life. I used to think about it all the time and now I don't. It's something that happened in the past.

I feel like I reached some sort of milestone this week.

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Allicat,  What a great feeling for you.  I think I have reached this pinacle as well.  I have been applying for part time jobs and when I land one I think I will feel "pretty normal" again too.  I have put myself back into scheduled exercise and this has also helped me to be "normal".  XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Allicat,  What a great feeling for you.  I think I have reached this pinacle as well.  I have been applying for part time jobs and when I land one I think I will feel "pretty normal" again too.  I have put myself back into scheduled exercise and this has also helped me to be "normal".  XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options