Options
Lydia.B
Lydia.B Member Posts: 14
edited June 2013 in General discussion
Hi,I was diagnosed in Oct 2012, aged 35.  I had a lumpectomy, and 3 lymph nodes removed.  The cancer hadn't spread into my nodes.  So I was very lucky!I received 6 months of chemo.  I had 4 cycles of AC 2 weeks apart, and then 12 weekly Paclitaxel doses.  Chemo very hard for me.  I was lucky enough to experience nearly every symptom possible!   I am about to start my last week of radiation.  I will be receiving 6 weeks of radiation.  I'm pretty sure this is a normal amount for most women.I'm also having Herceptin every 3 weeks for 1 year, due to my tumour being HER2+.  This should finish around Feb 2014.It would be nice to talk to women that have been through, or are going through, what I am going through.  There are so many questions to ask, and things to know.  My doctors and the nurses have been fantastic, but I is nice to talk to others.I will be starting Tamoxifen after my radiation finishes.  I'm nervous about this, because I am experiencing a lot of menapausal symptoms already - hot flushes etc.I look forward to hearing from others like me.Lydia

Comments

• Cherylek
    Cherylek Member Posts: 197
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lydia, like you I'm also HER2+. I am about to to do Taxol 12 tomorrow. My last one, can't wait! This week my symptoms have been the worst so far. Hands are puffy and rashy, fingers very sore, toes as well. I feel really bloated and unwell. I already have my first appointment at Radiology (I think it's a information session) on wednesday. I have chosen go public with the radiation, is this what you did? How many side effects did you have from the radiation? This is really concerning me at the moment as I am managing to work two days a week. Regards Cheryle :)
  • Nessk
    Nessk Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lydia,I had my surgery at St Andrews as well. I had Dr Bochner. I'm not HER2+ but am going through chemo at the moment. I just finished my 4th round of AC and are about to start Taxol on the 8th July. I'll have 5-6 weeks of radiotherapy which I'm thinking I'll go to the Lylle Mac, then go on Tamoxifen after that. I had a really hard time doing the AC so my Onc decided to put me on Taxol hopefully to not make me so sick. Ethier way it's going to suck big time. Vanessa x
  • Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lydia, welcome to the Adelaide BC Friendship Group! I know you will meet a lot of lovely ladies who can support you through your journey. I am also HER2+. ER+ and PR+, and had AC chemo. I found it very heavy going too. I am having herceptin as well. All my treatment has been through the RAH too, and I can't speak highly enough of them! :)If you'd like to meet up with other Adelaide ladies, please feel free to come along to one of our get-togethers. Details of get-togethers are posted on this site, our Face book page and a schedule can be emailed to you if you like. Take care Celeste ?https://www.facebook.com/AdelaideBreastCancerFriendshipGroup
  • Atlanta
    Atlanta Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi. My name is Vanessa. I am triple positive as well. Just had my second AC chemo. I have a question about the RAH. Did you have all of your treatment there or just radiotherapy? I don't know whether to go public or private for radio. I know I can't afford private however do you have to wait longer for treatment in the public system? I dont want to delay treatment.
    I am sorry to hear about your friend Karen.
    Vanessa
  • JENNIFERJ
    JENNIFERJ Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2015
    Options

HI ATLANTA, I WENT PRIVATE FOR EVERYTHING ELSE EXCEPT RADIOTHERPY. I IS GOOD A THE RAH THEY GIVE YOU A PARKING PERMIT AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WAIT AROUND EVERYONE IS IN AND OUT . THE STAFF ARE LOVELY AND THE BEST THING YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY. YOU ARE NOT ON A WAITING LIST YOU WILL GET YOUR TREATMENT AS YOU NEED IT. XXX JENNY XX IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CATCH UP WITH US WE ARE HAVING DINNER AT THE HIGHBURY HOTEL ON TUESDAY NIGHT 7 PM YOU ARE MOST WELCOME XXXX

• Lydia.B
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Vanessa,  I am having my last radiation treatment tomorrow at the RAH.  They have been amazing there.  The staff are great, there is very little waiting, and you get a free parking permit.  I would definately recommend the RAH.  And I haven't paid a cent.  Take care Lydia x
  • Atlanta
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jennifer. Thanks for your reply. I would love to come on Tuesday night. Who do I let know?
    Thanks
    Ness
  • Celbird
    edited March 2015
    Options

If you'd like to come along tomorrow night for dinner at the Highbury Hotel (7pm) please just turn up as I've booked a few extra seats. We'd really love to meet you! Just look out for the pink tops and the pink lady on the table! We will also look out for you. Hope you can make it, Celeste?

• Celbird
    edited March 2015
    Options

I've had all my treatment (surgery, chemo, radio etc) as a public patient at the RAH, and I cant fault them. I know others who feel the same. As a patient with a life threatening illness, you do not have to wait...treatment is not delayed at all and there is no waiting list. I am happy to talk to you more about the RAH if you have any questions. Take care Celeste ?

• Celbird
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes, its certainly a different world, isnt it? All the new jargon to get your head around...HER2+, AC, ER+ etc etc...! It's nice to know others can understand the lingo! Celeste :)

• Atlanta
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Celeste
    Thanks for that. Will see you tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
    Ness x
  • Atlanta
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Celeste. Sorry have come home from work unwell. Won't be able to make it tonight. It's a shame because I really would like to meet everyone. Next time!
    Have a good night
    Ness
  • JENNIFERJ
    JENNIFERJ Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2015
    Options

HE I VANESSA SORRY YOU FEEL UNWELL. WE HAD A LARGE GROUP LAST NIGHT IT WAS REALLY LOVELY AND EVERYONE GOT ON SO WELL. EXCEPT AT THE END OF THE NIGHT I GOT A FLAT TYRE BUT THE LOVELY CHIEF CAME AND CHANGED IT. SEE YOU SOON XXXX JENNY 

• Atlanta
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi I'm glad you had a good night except for the end! I have just been so tired since my last chemo it's hard to do anything but just work and then come home and rest. Look forward to the next catch up dinner
    Ness
  • Lydia.B
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes, it is a whole other world.  My work mate was diagnosed yesterday.  10 months after me!! And also the same week that I finished radiation!! I can't believe it, so many women getting this horrible cancer. She'll be ok though, because there is such good support and the treatment is second to none in Australia.