Your experience with payments and inability to work

Options
NaturalBel
NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
edited April 2013 in Health and wellbeing

We have just received the dreaded pages to fill out for our ongoing payment via a policy linked to my superannuation.  This time they want to know even more detail about my case, and when I will be ready to go back to work basically.  I am about to have my 7th and last chemo treatment and then have a month off before 6 weeks of radiation.  I would love to get feedback from the ladies who were not well enough to go to work, and who had used the policy linked to their Super company.  Or how you went with Radiation and when you were able to return to work.  I know we are all different, and it depends on a lot.  But it will be interesting to hear about those who have a story about their insurance companies.  I know I will go back as soon as its appropriate, and no doubt the Drs will decide that.  I work with the Public, stand all day, and have a lot of manual lifting and cleaning duties that are physical.  I was doing the work of 2 people before I had Breast Cancer and worry my arm wont handle a lot and I have zero energy and sit a lot at the moment!

Comments

• juliegl
    juliegl Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As I was on maternity leave I couldn't access any insurance because they took my name off the list at work. Now I have organised my own income protection insurance. But I will be back at work in 3 weeks. That's 6 weeks in total after radiation. I feel a lot better already. And I would be even better if I didn't have to go to a million medical appointments.

I am going back 4 days a week for the rest of the year and back to full time next year. The hare wins the race and I will be taking it slow and steady.
  • Julia44
    Julia44 Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello,

I have been thinking of getting this insurance(after the horse has bolted but anyhow..) but did not know if it was possible once you have had cancer.

I am interested in the names of companies that will still cover us?

Thanks,

Julia

• Julia44
    Julia44 Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello,

I have been thinking of getting this insurance(after the horse has bolted but anyhow..) but did not know if it was possible once you have had cancer.

I am interested in the names of companies that will still cover us?

Thanks,

Julia

• juliegl
    edited March 2015
    Options

You are right. We are uninsurable. However HCF had an offer that I managed to get when I was filling in a claim. No health checks and gave income protection insurance if you are already a customer. Only a year's worth but was better than nothing. The lady at the counter helped me with it.

Your best bet is with your superannuation.

thanks

Julie

• juliegl
    edited March 2015
    Options

You are right. We are uninsurable. However HCF had an offer that I managed to get when I was filling in a claim. No health checks and gave income protection insurance if you are already a customer. Only a year's worth but was better than nothing. The lady at the counter helped me with it.

Your best bet is with your superannuation.

thanks

Julie

• NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015
    Options

Fiona, we filled out the forms and lodged my claim for financial support via a small policy attached to my Superannuation.  It was a lot of messing around, and my surgeon had to fill parts out initially.  She didnt hesitate.  What amazed us was they finally approved me, ( I even got interviewed over the phone and they wanted to know everything),  and they then dont pay you for the first month youre not a work,and give it a name to justify it.  So you get back paid, on a small percentage of your earnings, we had to write down all my jobs over the last 10 years for them to calculate that.  I have moved 8 times over 7 years, so that was quite the task.  They got intouch with those former employers too, and I had a phone call from one government job I had for a very short period of time.  It was over the top!  It was 3 months later....without my weekly income, paying for 2 car loans, and having spent all our money to move to Tasmania 5 months before.  If not for my 75 year old pensioner parents support while they were here for that time frame, I hate to think.  ( We still have both cars.)  Also, another donation from my husbands family for back up sits as our emergency money.  We sat firmly in the "Your on your own!"  as we are both workers and not unemployed.  (low income workers).   The pensioners/unemployed have lots of assistance .  But hey, dont get me started about money.   A friend of mine who took 15 months off during her Breast Cancer ordeal had plenty of financial insurance and money to back up her recovery.   She was well prepared insurance wise, having a well paid job to finance it all.  She has a government office job, she finally went back to work but constantly got sick,  even glandular fever,  she then had ( to change her work situation) to be promoted so she doesnt see the public at all.  She really has been very fortunate with her situation/ was prepared I should say.  (after all she only 3 years from breast cancer start)  The moral of the story, dont have breast cancer unless youre wealthy!  Bel