Bridget

Options
Breeda
Breeda Member Posts: 9
Hi ,
I was hoping to make contact with someone else who have been affected by the breastscreen sa review. I had a mammogram done 19 mths before they realised that mistakes were made., I was told that I was clear but an abnormality that was on the film
was missed, I got a call five weeks ago to go backand was told that I have breast cancer. I've had my surgery and now need chemo etc. I was hoping to make contact with anyone who is in this situation.

Comments

• Breeda
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi chris,
    Thank you for your reply and I hope all is going well, my problem with breastscreen sa is that my original mammogram did show a abnormality and It was not detected until march this year. I am not the only one currently there is an investigation so i and others have to wait until april for the findings, meanwhile I just have to get on and fight the menace. Thank you
  • Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

What can I say?  I have heard this so often.  I hate mammograms and feel that u/s are so much better at detection and of course comfort.  There are many others who differ.  Each has a story and also their opinion.  I am just expressing my opinion.  I hope all is going well for you with your treatment.  I have learnt that blaming anyone for anything is a loss of energy and power so all that one can do is take it as it is now and get on with whatever is needed. Best wishes XLeonie

• Breeda
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you for your words of encouragement

• Pip45
    Pip45 Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Breeda

I also had a mammogram that didn't detect my cancer it was through breastscreen , i found the lump myself 8 months later.

My situation is different to yours but i know how you feel ,when i was firstly diagnoised i demanded my surgeon get the mammogram films from breastscreen i really wanted to know if the cancer was there and if they had missed it, my surgeon said he couldn't see any sign of it on the films and that mammograms are not 100% full proof and that the postion of my lump was hard to detect.

I felt that breastscreen had failed me for a while.. now i realise that diagnosing  breast cancer is not always simple and everyone has a story to tell about their own journey.

All the best  Pip x

• Breeda
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks pip45 looks like u can't sleep I'm wondering if ill ever have a full nights sleep again.. Wishing u all the best. I noticed you went to the feel good program was it worthwhile , I am struggling a little with what the chemo will do.
  • chipmunk
    chipmunk Member Posts: 280
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Breeda

I am also not from SA. But I to had a mammogram done and something was detected, so I was told to go to a hospital for further check up (mammogram).

Went to have the second mammogram and was told there was some abnormality, but to their diagnosis , it wasn't warranting an ultrasound. Told to go home and wait for my next 2 year appointment checkup.

In the meantime about 17 months later I found a lump under my arm. Surgery later to remove cancer from the breast with 20/20 lymph nodes removed - all cancerous.

My surgeon and doctor never got copies of my second mammogram, and they requested copies of these to see if the cancer was there previously.

Well...... when they requested this..... no-one can find my mammogram from the hospital.

So, I was devastated. But as my surgeon said, don't worry about the past, lets fix this now and move on.

To which I have. But I do have the thoughts now and again - maybe I had cancer back then....

Hope all goes well with you, and very sorry that now you are also on the BC journey.

keep us posted, and fight this one, as I am sure there maybe a class action on this.

Love Julie

• Breeda
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Julie
    Omg that is awful, there should be a report from your first mammogram ,even if they have no films everything does not just diasppear in sa there is an independant body in sa where you can can request further investigation, did you speak with a lawyer. don't listen to the doc in saying that just move on, though I must admit sometimes I do feel that I just want this gone and regardless of what has happened,when this is over I just want to forget about it and get on with my life, but maybe you should delve a little further even to just put ur mind at rest. I'm only in the early stages of this damned life interruption but I know it will all b ok.i am so glad that ur ok. Take care and thanks for responding
  • chipmunk
    chipmunk Member Posts: 280
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Breeda

No I didnt speek to anyone to take it further.. Just took it on the chin and got on with my treatment. I suppose I just wanted to concentrate on what needed to be done to get better. Having probably the emotional side of seeking legal etc, was too much to bear at the time.

I can finally say, that tomorrow 21/3/13, a year ago was my surgery. One year on and have had bloods, MRI, mammogram and ultrasound. And all is good.

So, now I just take one day at a time.

I suppose in your case, you would probably be entitled to have a class action being put forward, to all the ladies who have had this happen to, as well as yourself.

Please keep us posted. And if you need to ask any questions feel free.

Julie XX