'Look Good Feel Better' Workshop

Options
Erica Shadiac
Erica Shadiac Member Posts: 190
edited March 2013 in Community news and events

Yesterday I went to a 2 hour free workshop called 'Look Good Feel Better' at Flinders Lodge (Cancer  Council SA). This is an amazing opportunity offered to those with breast cancer where volunteers from the cosmetic industry show you how to apply make-up to make you look good and so feel better - especially when you may have no eyebrows or eyelashes! We each received a pack of cosmetics donated by cosmetic companies - millions of dollars worth of products are donated every year! Like Christmas! They asked me to be the 'model' which was an extra bonus as I felt absolutely pampered!

Then we had a lady speak to us and show us wigs, hats, scarves... This was a lot of fun and very encouraging. I learnt about hand-tied as opposed to machine made wigs - synthetic as opposed to very expensive real hair. Adjustable sizes. Care. Fringes to wear with hats or scarves! Again being the model there were some fun possibilities!! Hadn't thought of smart brimmed hats (with fringe) but one example looked good! Must follow that up for winter...

The women there were at varying stages of treatment - most had already lost their hair. I was very grateful that I went BEFORE CHEMO has started so I could get wigs, etc armed with some knowledge.