My Story

Options
happylittlevegimite
happylittlevegimite Member Posts: 28

My partner happened to come accoss an odd bump on my left breast as we were cuddling one night on the couch. No funny business I promise :) It was quite firm, so he insisted I see a doctor about it. I was hormonal and due for my monthlies so thought nothing of it. Two weeks passed my period came and gone and my breast started to ache. I felt the lump and it had grown and formed an odd shape. I called my GP and he couldnt fit me in for another week. My partner had an appointment to get his blood results back in a couple days, so whilst in that appointment I asked the doc if he could have a quick look at my breast. He did, his eyebrows raised, not just because I have outrageously gorgeous breasts :) but because he was alarmed at the size of it. He instantly sent me for an "urgent" ultrasound and three day's later I was told I have a malignant tumour. The same day he sent me off to see a surgeon who said he wanted to do a few more tests to see what we are dealing with. I had a mamogram and core biopsy and had results all in that same week. The prognosis was invacive ductal carcinoma (high grade) and was advised a lumpectomy and sentininel node biopsy was requred immediately, followed by 6 months of intense chemo and 6 wks radiation therapy. I was placed on an urgent waiting list (category 1) however this surgeon couldnt do it till mid november another month and a half away, another lady surgeon was available in two weeks so we opted to see her instead. As we hadnt met her before I requested we meet her in person.  That day I was blown away, I was explained that the lump was quite large (shock 1) and if I was to have it removed immediately I would lose more than half of my breast. It would be deformed and concave (shock 2)and  we would need to wait at least two months before we can start chemo. She immediately thought doing things the other way around, chemo first surgery later. . whilst she dashed out to get the oncologists opinion to this new plan, I was left in shock. I was so upset that the previous surgeon never gave me this option. His words were, "its a nasty one, its not that big but needs to come out, you'd hardly tell after surgery and can still wear your low cut tops." Now this lady told me the complete opposite, it's a large one, i will lose more than half my breast. Hows about we save time and start off with chemo first? Did you know that this particular type (invacive ductal carcinoma) responds very well to chemo? No i did not. In some cases its dissappeared completely with chemo alone. Unbeliveable. Yes we have hope and I dont get to mutate my presious boobie. This was fantastic news we were excited, confused, angry and happy all at the one time. I got to chat to the oncologists that day also and was introduced to a breast care nurse. Everyone had been so helpful so far (other than my first surgeon). I'm so glad I got this surgeon and my oncologists has a very good rep also. I have a great team and have been told that I will be starting my first cycle of chemo next week! I've come on this site so I can find other women in the same situation as I am or people that have been through it themselves and can understand its process and it affects it has on every day living...my worse fear is the chemo treatment. If anyone is able to shed some light would be great. Thanks for reading. Happylittle vegimite over and out... 

Tagged:

Comments

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi HLV

Well of course you are scared of the sound of chemo.  we all were, you mind thinks of bald sick people and that is very scary.

I had a mastecomy at the age of 36 because of the size of my tumour, and earlier this year I elected to have my other breast off and reconstruction.

I did 6 x TAC chemo once every 3 weeks for 24 weeks.  Chemo has come along way in recent years and the anti nausea medication helps.  Yes you will lose your hair (lost mine on day 18).  But there are some great wigs available.  People used to comment on my hair all the time and were really embarassed when I told them it was a wig.  My children were 2 and 4 when I went through chemo but I still took them to school, went out for dinner, to the movies with my husband, holidays and boring stuff like shopping.  Now dont get me wrong I wasn't whistling yippee do out my #$#@  but I had my chemo on a Wednesday and wednesday night I crashed out and slept.  Then I was ok (groggy probably best describes it, like a hangover) until the Sat.  Sat and sun were the worst days then i was up and about doing normal things.  It is doable, it is not fun, but I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

There are lots of things you can do/take to help.  anti nausea pills, suck on ice blocks, rest when you are tired and drink red softdrink (that is only my recommendation cause it worked for me, gingerale works too).

Just ask lots of questions here and you will be well prepared for what is ahead.  Information is power.

Sorry you had a bad experience with your surgeon. 

Good luck and feel free to ask ANYTHING.

Tanya  xx

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi HLV

Hopefully chemo has treated you kindly today and you are now resting.  Thinking of you, now that the first is behind you you at least know what is ahead.

As I mentioned earlier the first one is the worst.  although the fatique increases  as the treatment goes on.    I was to have FEC, then they changed it to TAC which is similar I think.

Good luck and rest.

Tanya

• Melita
    Melita Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey hope everything went well and you are doing ok.    I had six lots of the FEC and found it wasn't as bad as what I thought it would be.  Don't get me wrong I felt pretty average, but I was able to function at least.  Let everyone fuss over you as it will help them deal with all of this and not feel so helpless.  Remember life goes on.

• happylittlevegimite
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi ladies thanks for your reassuring responses.

My first chemo experience wasnt so great, I ended up in hospital 4 days after with a reaction to the dex (steroid) and pramin (anti-nausia). I had a crazy stiff neck, head tilting spazms, blurred vision and difficulting breathing. I was walking around like a drooling zombie. Finally I managed to call the oncology ward and spoke with one of the nurses who said I should have only been taking those meds a few days after chemo, but I was instructed to take them the entire cycle even if I dont need them as its a preventative. Basically was overmedicating myself for 7 days. To cut the long story short I stopped all medications and feel much better for it. I've managed to control the nausia with food and ginger tea. tomorrow is two weeks after my chemo and I'm getting more energy as the days follow. Even went for a 40 min walk the other day, we have some beautiful walks around here (I live near the beach, so I'm spoilt) and I'm hanging to explore more when I have the energy. I had an off day yesterday felt very confused and foggy in the brain. I stood in front of the shower for 20 mins trying to figure out whether I take my shoes or my pants off first. I felt like a dimentia patient. That was a little scary but I keep reminding myself that this is chemo brain, its not forever, one down five more to go and that keeps me going.   If anyone has had any confusion or fog brain in their journey I'd love to hear about it.

Well this is me signing off for another day.

Happy little vegimite over & out :)

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

HI HLV

Was only thinking about you last night and wondered how you were going.  Yep yep yep, I had the foggy brain and little things would cause me so much confusion.  Then I would panic that I was confused.  My sister would say just ring up and make an appointment (so something or other) and I couldn't think how to find the number, or what I should say when they answered?  Try not to panic (I did) and know that it does pass. 

Like you, I had a allergic reaction to Maxalon (anti nausea) and was very ill for the first chemo only.  The first one was terrible for me too, but the rest were slightly easier and I only had the reaction to the first one only, so hopefully they will get your meds under control and the next 5 will be plain sailing.

thankyou for letting us know how you are going, I have a friend starting chemo later this month so it is great for others to read some of the side effects (although not pleasant).  I think if you can relate to others, at least you know that it is normal (ish).

Enjoy your good days and try and get to the beach more, I found wearing sunglasses also helped with the sun and fogginess too.

Stay strong.

Tanya

• Melita
    Melita Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

HI sorry to hear it didn't go so well, but the first one is always a bit like a practice run to see how it will affect you.  You will find it will be a bit easier from now as you will know what to ecpect and how to deal with it.

I suffered from chemo brain as well.  Quite funny really, I could not believe how forgetful I had become.  I would walk into the kitchen to cook dinner only when I got there I would forget what It was that I was going to do.  I think I spent most of my time walking around the house trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing.  My 7 year old son told me I needed to write things down as a reminder, then laughed at me.  I am astounded at how well my kids have coped with all of this.  I guess it has helped that we have made jokes out of my lack of hair and me forgetting things.  Laughter is a great remedy.

Hang in there chick you will make it thru and be a stronger person for it.

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

In relpy to your question yes.  It was one thing to lose my hair but there was no way I would be leaving the house without my makeup on!!  Especially when the brows thin and you have to do the dot to dot to fill in the gaps.

I am allergic to lots of skin creams etc, but never had any skin irritations to anything during chemo, which surprised me, cause I remember thinking that for sure my skin would react with something, but all good.

I even used to borrow pretty earrings off all my friends, and we laughed that it would take the focus of my ugly bald head.

So yep, its a green light for earrings and makeup for me!!!

You are so brave, and great that you can still enjoy the sunshine!!!!

Tanya

• happylittlevegimite
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well, its been a while since my last entry. I finished chemo on Feb 8th...yaeee!! And am still in recovery mode. I'm pretty exhausted both physically and mentally but proud of myself that I got to the end of it, well the first chapter anyway. Today I saw my surgeon who confirmed she can't feel my lump anymore nor the one under my arm so that was exciting news. I'm going in for an ultrasound tomorrow and will be reviewing the results with her on Friday. Basically friday will be decision time. Sentinal node biopsy v axillery clearance. A hard choice to make in such a small amount of time. Would love to hear from women that have had an axillary clearance if poss. I'm worried about lymphadema, nerve damage and recovery.

Thank yoy, I will write in again soon

HLV over & out :) 

• happylittlevegimite
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well, its been a while since my last entry. I finished chemo on Feb 8th...yaeee!! And am still in recovery mode. I'm pretty exhausted both physically and mentally but proud of myself that I got to the end of it, well the first chapter anyway. Today I saw my surgeon who confirmed she can't feel my lump anymore nor the one under my arm so that was exciting news. I'm going in for an ultrasound tomorrow and will be reviewing the results with her on Friday. Basically friday will be decision time. Sentinal node biopsy v axillery clearance. A hard choice to make in such a small amount of time. Would love to hear from women that have had an axillary clearance if poss. I'm worried about lymphadema, nerve damage and recovery.

Thank yoy, I will write in again soon

HLV over & out :) 

• happylittlevegimite
    edited March 2015
    Options

PS: Who else has been suffering from bone pain after treatment has finished?

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey you , long time no hear?  Great that you have finished chemo.

Yep it is a big YES for bone aches from me.  My bones still ache and I finished chemo in 2008, but it is not as bad.

Great to see you back posting.  I have just got out of hospital today from having reconstruction.

Tanya

• Heidihoe
    Heidihoe Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Happy Little Vegimite.

I just loved reading your notes and the wonderful way in which you express your self. You make me laugh! You are just gorgeous.

Sorry to hear this has happen to youand it sounds like you and your gorgeous boobies are doing fine!

Take care and thank you for sharing. It's been a delight.

Heidi hoe

• happylittlevegimite
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi all

I havent updated my blog in a while and thought I'd touch base. Chemo finished and I had my surgery (wide excision and sentinal node biopsy). Wow that hurt! The nuclea meds they inject you the day before the sentinal node biopsy was a killer. I believe the F word was used on many occations. They also managed to drip most of it on my gown and stomach so after 2 hours of xray mapping we had to do it all over again. Fun times in cancer paradise! The following day was surgery 8th march, everything went dandy, in a week I received results. Unfortunantly 3 out of 4 lymph nodes were involved and there were two marginal areas unclear of tumour  cells. three weeks later..here goes round two, re-excision to breast and axillary clearence.  Had a very painful drain tube experience where it was touching my nerve and shooting pain all on my chest back and shoulder, I was relieved when it was removed on day 5. Today (1 week later) I received results. 18 lymph nodes were removed in total and 5 were positive. The breast had a clear marignal area and I was told I dont need a mastectomy. Yaeeeee! Ooooooh happy days!!! I was so relieved, I hugged my surgeon (I think she got a fright) and told her I love her. My fionsay was in tears and couldnt stop all the way home (what a sweet heart). Its been a tough few months and we were feeling pretty grim. Now we can look forward to the future. Radiation next mid of april and tamoxifen. I keep singing..."o happy days!"! I cant help it. We bought a campervan so we have a holiday on wheels whenever we would like to escape and a boat as we live near the beach and both enjoy fishing.  As the 80's song goes...the only way is up!

• Heidihoe
    Heidihoe Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2015
    Options

I hope you enjoy some great holidays in thast camper and fishing trips too!

Enjoy the feeling of happiness!

Regards Heidihoe

• happylittlevegimite
    edited March 2015
    Options

I finally came to the end of my treatment! 6 & 1/2 weeks of radiation finished wednesday last week. What a relief! It feels so strange not to have to go to an appointment every day, not to have to lie under a giant machine and stare at a blank ceiling. I thought I'd feel more stoked about it but it ended up being a bit of an anti-climax.

I was all prepared, made a traditional greek desert, thinking my family would be around that night for a mini celebration (as they were when chemo finished, and both surgeries finished), but this time, no one, not even a phone call! We thought they may have forgotten,which was a little sad but I soon got over it and so did my partner. He had 3 days of eating his fav desert, so he wasnt complaining!

Now financially, we struggled quite a bit as my partner lost his job during this process, just to add to the fun times in cancer paradise! He is starting work again soon but I'v decided to take a little break before getting back into it. Looking forward to going on a little holiday and recoupe.

Once we gather some money together again, my partner and I were thinking of hosting an end of treatment~surprise wedding celebration. Lets shock our family one more time but this time for the better! We were supposed to be  married in march this year and I had to cancel everything when I got the bc news. So we may as well end a crappy year in a BANG! 

Hope everyone just starting treatment is keeping well and congratulations to those who've finished and are feeling relieved.

Here's to a better year ahead!

Happy little vegimite, over & out :)

xo