Back to playing sport???

Options
Annie13
Annie13 Member Posts: 110
edited November 2012 in Health and wellbeing

Ladies - am after your advice on something.

I am looking to get back into playing my sport in the new year - basketball and netball. My concern is my hair! I have one round of chemo left so it probably wont start to grow at all maybe until mid-December. The new comp for basketball starts mid-January so I still don't think I'll have enough hair for it to be hair if that makes sense!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do for this? It's indoors so a hat is not really a goer. A scarf maybe, but I'm not overly keen on that. I thought about maybe getting a short haired wig to play in? But then also don't want it coming off at all!

Any help would be most appreciated. :)

Comments

• louiseg
    louiseg Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh I remember that feeling!!  I play indoor beach volleyball and wanted to get back into it well before I had much hair.  My worst nightmare was dreaming that I was playing a game with my wig on and it flying across the court as I dove for a ball!!

When I started back, I started playing with a bandana on at first or sometimes with what I called my "Monk hair" and a hat.  My Monk Hair was a headband that I borrowed from the Cancer Council wig library which had a fringe attached.  That way when I put a hat on it looked like I had hair underneath it (or at least a fringe!).  I didn't worry about it being indoors and wearing a hat....no-one really pays you much attention.  Just make sure that you have the hat on nice and tight though, coz mine came off one day and boy was that embarrassing (picture bald head with head band and fringe!!).

It's great to get back to the sports you love so don't let your lack of hair stop you!  The wig would probably be too hot to play in and will probably fall off but a bandana or hat can let you play.  If they do happen to fall off, just laugh about it!  You've survived breast cancer so what's a little bit of embarrassment :)

Good luck,

Louise x

• Annie13
    Annie13 Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Louise - that's really great advise. I might start looking for an appropriate bandana or hat now! :)