Swim Wear

Options
Michelle16
Michelle16 Member Posts: 34
edited October 2012 in Health and wellbeing

Hi
I am 34 and had a bi lateral mastectomy and I am pretty self concious of all my scars as I have had to have a number of ops.
What swim wear do ladies use that have had this procedure ? Where is the best but cheapest online place to order from ? How do the swim wear prosthesis work ? I currently use the just the normal ones every day but want more this summer with my young family :) Im a larger sized girl as well so dont need to stand out anymore with having a flat chest as well. I hope some one understands what I mean as today when I was at the beach with my kids I was pretty self concious all the time of ppl starring at me if they saw down my top :(  

Comments

• annie58
    annie58 Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Michelle,

Last year I read somewhere that Speedo designed a swimsuit for ladies in your situation and they had them road tested or should I say water tested by some BCNA ladies.  So maybe contact speedo.

As for the prosthesis Im sure someone will come along here and help you out. I hope you enjoy the summer with your kids at the beach.

I remember that feeling when you lean over and think OMG what did they just see. But it cant be helped and its more important that you are here to take the kids to the beach.

Annie

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm kinda in your position -only have the one boob and hate leaning over. Speedo and Amoena make mastectomy swimmers and you might be able to order online but they are abit pricey.You can also get special prosthesis for swimwear where you were fitted for your normal prosthesis-again,pricey.  Here is what I've done- I bought a nice swimmimg costume with inbuilt  cups from Millers,on special for $13 last year.I got some black stretchy fabric from spotlight($4) and I cut out and sewed a pocket(by hand) on the inside cup,making sure I left a gap at the side to slide in a soft form - the one I got with my free Berlei bra.Then I cut out a triangle,double the fabric so the fold is at the top and I sewed that across the neckline(on the inside)-if you can imagine a fake cami. So with the higher neckline,I can bend over with confidence. It wasn't hard to do and soooo much cheaper than the "proper"ones.I actually found most of them too low anyway. If I can take a photo and post it up,you might get a better idea.How's your little boy going by the way?

Tonya xx

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm kinda in your position -only have the one boob and hate leaning over. Speedo and Amoena make mastectomy swimmers and you might be able to order online but they are abit pricey.You can also get special prosthesis for swimwear where you were fitted for your normal prosthesis-again,pricey.  Here is what I've done- I bought a nice swimmimg costume with inbuilt  cups from Millers,on special for $13 last year.I got some black stretchy fabric from spotlight($4) and I cut out and sewed a pocket(by hand) on the inside cup,making sure I left a gap at the side to slide in a soft form - the one I got with my free Berlei bra.Then I cut out a triangle,double the fabric so the fold is at the top and I sewed that across the neckline(on the inside)-if you can imagine a fake cami. So with the higher neckline,I can bend over with confidence. It wasn't hard to do and soooo much cheaper than the "proper"ones.I actually found most of them too low anyway. If I can take a photo and post it up,you might get a better idea.How's your little boy going by the way?

Tonya xx

• Michelle16
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yeah I sux at sewing lol Sam is doing well still having the same on going issues with his eyes and balance but not to bad. He has a broken arm as well ATM and cast on so the whole trying to stay out of water for 6 weeks is a killer for him especially seen how hot its been.
  • tammyp26
    tammyp26 Member Posts: 54
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I went to this great little shop in Tugun, Qld. They suggested a number of swim suits and I bought a cute tankini. They then sewed in a shelf for my prosthesis to fit in. It's fabulous and I feel normal wearing it. Prosthesis fits fine in it. I'm not sure if they sell online but check them out www.luluswimwear.com.au
  • Michelle16
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks heaps everyone. It's so expensive just trying to look normal to be able to go swimming. I can't get any money back either as I used Medicare rebate to buy my everyday prosthesis not thinking it would so expensive to buy the ones for swimming :(