Update of where I am at now

Options
Mich x
Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
edited October 2012 in Day to day

Hey girls,

Thought it was about time I got on and gave an update of where I am at now.

I finished my last chemo on 20 July and then had a 4 week break before I started radiotherapy. 

In the last week of my 4 week break hubby and I went for a lovely one night stop over in Sydney where I met up with a special lady and her fellow who I met thru BCNA blogging and we have become very good friends so we caught up for dinner and a few drinks as that was the first time we had met.  Hubby and I continued on for a short holiday to Tasmania which my daughter had organised as a surprise for my mothers day.  I absolutely loved!!!! Tassie but unfortunately I was still struggling following my chemo.  (Chemo hit me very hard I am afraid).  I suffered from swollen legs, feet, surgery arm and hand even though I wore stockings and sleeves on all flights.  I had shortness of breath and had trouble with stairs and hills and I got very tired quickly.  BUT we still managed to have a wonderful wonderful time and we can't wait to go back for another longer visit.  We did still manage to have fun even if hubby said he felt like he was looking after a 90 year old women hee hee.

When we returned I commenced my 7 weeks of radiotherapy at Charlie Gardiners in Perth which thank goodness went really really well and was definitely a walk in the park compared to chemo.  My skin coped very well and I had no major problems with burning or blisters.  I was walking every day anywhere from 20 to 80 minutes a day as I was walking to and from my appointments at the hospital and sometimes I could have 3 appts a day with O.T. for my lymphodeama, physio for my neck, and so on.  I was staying in a facility near Charlies which is available for cancer patients from rural areas so that was very handy for me but I did miss my home and animals and of course my hubby.  Anyway I was nearly at the end of the radiotherapy and feeling quite good and reasonably well and then I managed to get bronchial pneumonia/lung infection which knocked me for a six and put me right back down again.  It has been six weeks since I fell in a heap with the illness and I am only now getting back up there again.  I am up and walking 20 mins a day in the mornings and managing to do most things around the house.  I still get very tired and need a nanna nap most days but I am slowly slowly getting there.

I had review appointments in Perth at Charlies last week and my rads onco, O.T., physio, breast surgeon (I had a repeat mammogram) are all very happy with my progress.  A reminder to keep all your films and reports and take them to your follow up appointments which is a mistake I made because breast surgeon didn't have films from when I was diagnosed to compare with the new mammogram films which made things a bit difficult. 

There was a good outcome regarding the Insurance Claim I have been dealing with for the last 6+ months but only after I contacted Insurance Ombudsman who instructed me to get in contact and put in a complaint to the Finance Service Provider for the Insurance Company I was dealing with.  I put in my complaint on the Thurs and I had a call from Manager of Insurance Company the start of following week saying my claim had finally been approved.  I was happy about that I can assure you as I had been majorly traumatised by dealing with this cover as I have mentioned in a previous blog but I am saddened that it took for me to have to submit a complaint before it was approved.  I never want to go through that again I can assure you especially when I am having to endure such a rough journey of BC treatment.  It was a good outcome in the end and that is the main thing. 

I am feeling good, exercising as much as I can cope with at present, eating as well as I can and striving to get fit and well. I start a pool based exercise group this Friday through Encore but best of all I can see that light at the end of the tunnel which is a wonderful fabulous excellent feeling. I have often wondered if I would ever get there.  My hair is slowly growing back (even if it is now grey) and I am looking forward to the future.

Part of that future is going to the Sydney BCNA Conference and getting to meet all you wonderful supportive pink sisters that have been there for me every step of the way and will continue to be a large part of my life.  I also get to meet up with and spend time with my new found best buddy thanks to BCNA and will get to spend more than just time for a meal and drink this time which is great.  I am also looking forward to coming away from the conference with knowledge and experience to bring back to my local community where we are trying to set up a support group for cancer patients.

Roll on next Wednesday when I get on that plane and fly my way over to Sydney to be with all the ladies in pink.  Looking forward to meeting you all and having a few laughs and probably a few tears and I am sure a few drinks hee hee.  You will know me cause I will be the one wearing pink hahahaha C U there.

TTFN, LOL, Mich xoxoxoxo

Comments

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mich, Who did you meet from the online network in Sydney? It is so good to hear!

Are you coming to the National Conference next week? That will also be a great opportunity to meet with members of the online network.

I hope to meet you next week :-)

• Daina_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mich, Who did you meet from the online network in Sydney? It is so good to hear!

Are you coming to the National Conference next week? That will also be a great opportunity to meet with members of the online network.

I hope to meet you next week :-)

• helen anne
    helen anne Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mich

Sadly I can't come up next week but I'm glad you're going and are able to meet up with your new BF!  I've made some lovely friends on the network too.

Totally luv Tassie too!  It's a gorgeous place - glad you had a great time although you could have done without the pneumonia!

And I'm even more glad your insurance claim finally came through - I've heard of other ladies having difficulties like this too - nothing surprises me when it comes to insurers!  But as you say - the outcome was good, even if getting there was a bit painful.

Really happy to hear things are looking up for you.

cheers

Helen

• helen anne
    helen anne Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mich

Sadly I can't come up next week but I'm glad you're going and are able to meet up with your new BF!  I've made some lovely friends on the network too.

Totally luv Tassie too!  It's a gorgeous place - glad you had a great time although you could have done without the pneumonia!

And I'm even more glad your insurance claim finally came through - I've heard of other ladies having difficulties like this too - nothing surprises me when it comes to insurers!  But as you say - the outcome was good, even if getting there was a bit painful.

Really happy to hear things are looking up for you.

cheers

Helen

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Daina

Yes I will be at the conference - you will know me cause I will be wearing pink :-) sorry my warped sense of humour.  I will make a definite point of finding you and saying hello and thank you for all your help throughout this year.

C U very soon.

LOL, Mich xoxoxo

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Helen

That is a bummer you can't make the conference as I am sure we would have had a good laugh together, maybe we will catch up another time.

I am with you about Tassie and can't wait to go back.  I want to do some sort of holiday once I am well but not sure what yet but it could be Tassie again hee hee. 

It is soooo unfair that insurance companies do that to people when they are ill and have put the plan of insurance in place for such times as this sort of diagnosis and unable to work to then not only fight the disease but fight with insurance companies.  I just find it so unfair and unforgivable.  It certainly has made me look at insurance companies in a completely different light and not a good light that is for sure.

Thank you for your kind words and I hope you are travelling well.

LOL, Mich xoxo

• Daina_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

I will look forward to it Mich! I will be floating around at the conference - either on the Merchandise table or roaving with a microphone or having a glass of wine at the dinner :-)

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

Certainly sounds like you will be a busy button on the night and I am sure you have been with the build up to it along with all your colleagues.   These events must have so much work behind the scenes go in to them so I am sure it will be a credit to you all and I am really looking forward to it.

I hope you get to have a few glasses of wine at dinner as I am sure you will have deserved it.  I might just have to have a couple of celebration drinks as I have so much to celebrate and be grateful for :-)

Mich xoxo