Mini field today

Options
Custard
Custard Member Posts: 417
edited October 2012 in Community news and events

Today our local breast cancer nurse, Sue ( in the light pink top) held a terrific mini field outside the local Community Health Nurses office in Launceston. It is a high traffic area so the mini filed was a bright highlight.Many attended and we also had an exercise class put on by Mandy (not me, another Mandy!) who now runs the Encore Program. It was fun and easy and everyone felt ok to eat the cakes after that ha ha.

Comments

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Congratulations Mandy - It looks great. The Pink Ladies definately brighten up many a lawn over October each year.

We will be holding our Mini-Field of Women event tomorrow with our fantastic sponsors Bakers Delight. I will make sure we upload our photos tomorrow.

• helen anne
    helen anne Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm planning on doing this next year as I've only recently completed treatment and I'm still suffering from fatigue.

Your mini fields looks very successful - any tips for a newbie??

cheers

Helen

• helen anne
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm planning on doing this next year as I've only recently completed treatment and I'm still suffering from fatigue.

Your mini fields looks very successful - any tips for a newbie??

cheers

Helen

• Custard
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Helen Anne, thanks for your comments. The mini field is great- and so eye catching. The kit comes from BCNA with all that you need, I suggest you choose a place that has high traffic, either cars or pedestrians. Over the years we have held some in our shopping mall, so lots of pedestrians come up but we can't put the ladies into cement, so got permission to attach the smaller papery ones to a shop wall.

You get a totally other sort of feedback from motorists etc., of course. If you have a local park or busy street corner with grassy area that would be terrific. It is hard to get the media along some years but we were successful this time - see attached!- the colours look brilliant in the original and we had lots of people tooting their car and truck horns. So many are touched by breast cancer.

The aim is, after all, to raise the profile of BCNA! This year the community health nurses also put on an afternoon tea, pink themed of course, so many health professionals attended. I gave a short speech on BCNA and then the local Encore instructor made everyone have some fun with gentle exercises!

You can make it as simple or complicated as you like. My suggestion is to go simply the first year and you will learn by experience what suits you and your community.  If you have it somewhere that you may be able to have a card table with merchandise set up that is an extra attention seeker- the ones in the mall are usually well attended and the BCNA socks sell very well. People want to show their support and while we don't go around rattling a tin for donations, there is a steady flow of generous folk walking past.

Maybe you will be at Strength to Strength and we can have a cuppa together?

Take special care, Mandy

• helen anne
    edited March 2015
    Options

I really appreciate all your tips.  Thanks Heaps.  I plan to hold my minifields in a park (rather large) opposite the hospital I was treated at.  It is a very high traffic area and pedestrian area so fingers crossed it will get lots of support.  Obviously I need to get the nurses and doctors on board.

It's good to know that BCNA will provide a kit.  I'm sure I'll be doing heaps more next year.

Sadly I can't afford to come to the conference - I am really, really upset about it.  I had it all booked but I simply have no money.  I was going to see heaps of people there and now finances dictate otherwise.

I asked the other day about the conference - if its a annual thing or not.  Apparently it only happens now and then...bummer.  Never mind.

Anyway I'll send you a contact request and we can keep in touch.  You'll have to tell me about your journey - I'm interested to know.

cheers for now

Luv H

• Custard
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Helen Anne, I am sure BCNA will send out lots of info on what we listen to at S2S next week. Going on previous years and events they have - they are great at information.

I think your mini field in the park opposite the hospital will be wonderful.. where is that? Being in Little Tassie and in Launceston restricts our plans a bit sometimes!

Take special care, Mandy

• helen anne
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yeah I'm hoping we get lots of info regarding the conference as I'm really spewing I can't go to Sydney.

Should be a very interesting conference.

Luv Helen

• helen anne
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yeah I'm hoping we get lots of info regarding the conference as I'm really spewing I can't go to Sydney.

Luv Helen

• helen anne
    edited March 2015
    Options

Luv Helen