I've joined

Options
MelissaL
MelissaL Member Posts: 1
edited September 2012 in Day to day
I'm here because I've also tested positive for the defective BRCA1 gene, discovered knowing there is a strong breast/ovarian cancer presence in our family (mum - ovarian @ 46; grandmother - breast @ 44; great-grandmother - ovarian @ 46). My mum survived it, but my grandmother and great-grandmother didn't.

I have elected to have a hysterectomy - operation is in 2 weeks - and am seriously considering a double mastectomy with reconstruction. I'm 40, with 3 beautiful kids, so it's time for me to reduce my BC risk.

I'm hoping to use this site to research the topic, find support for the preventative surgery process, and get through the other end with a positive outlook on the choices I have made (and will be making).

Comments

• helen anne
    helen anne Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Melissa

Welcome to the network.  I think you are doing a very brave thing and approaching the situation very sensibly.  You will find you receive lots of support from people through discussions and groups as well as fact sheets and information that the site offers.

I suggest you search the groups to see if there is a group specifically for BRACA1 diagnosis or a Gene related diagnosis. 

Type either of these into the Search function on the home page and see what comes up. 

If you need any assistance with this please don't hesitate to contact me and I'll talk you through it.

Welcome again, take care.

H (aka Helen Anne)

• helen anne
    helen anne Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for the compliment regarding my post to Melissa.   Hope it wasn't out of place for me to do that.

Sometimes I just get on and try to respond to everyone, hoping they will find it as reassuring and as comforting as I did/do.

cheers

H (aka Helen Anne)

• georgiebz
    georgiebz Member Posts: 75
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi all

I have just returned from the bcna forum held on the gold coast and must say it was an informative forum that focuses on living well after breast cancer, I myself have been suffering from depression and anxiety following treatment and found the information sessions on depression very helpful - not only in treatments etc but also realising that having depression following treatment is not unusual, that doesn't mean all women will experience depresssion but many do.  Thank you BCNA for holding these forums around the country.

Cheers Georgie

• georgiebz
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi all

I have just returned from the bcna forum held on the gold coast and must say it was an informative forum that focuses on living well after breast cancer, I myself have been suffering from depression and anxiety following treatment and found the information sessions on depression very helpful - not only in treatments etc but also realising that having depression following treatment is not unusual, that doesn't mean all women will experience depresssion but many do.  Thank you BCNA for holding these forums around the country.

Cheers Georgie

• georgiebz
    edited March 2015
    Options

as above