Emotions

Options
Kez51
Kez51 Member Posts: 18
edited September 2012 in Health and wellbeing
Well one week has past since I came out of hospital from my double mastectomy. It has been a bit emotional with good and bad news. I have found myself feeling very alone and sad with lots of tears. It has definitely made me realise how tough it is to go through something like this with out your partner of 30yrs and how much I miss that comfort ....that hug ...that smile that tells you it will all be ok. You look at yourself in the mirror ...and, well you know what i mean........its not nice what you see.
Yeh I have good friends but they have their own life's with their partners and work. Since I got out of hospital I have hardly seen them and that has been hard. I've basically been on my own all week. I know I'm lucky that the cancer didn't win ... I found it early and have beaten it again....but I feel exhausted mentally and emotional. I have lost so much in the past few years that sometimes I'm not sure if I have the strenghth to keep fighting....especially when so often I feel so alone.

Comments

• Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ah geez Kez, I am so sorry you are feeling lonely :-(

I remember being very emotional that first week after a general anaesthetic. Even though I have hubby and kids living at home I actually felt like I would have been better by myself! "The grass is always greener" isn't it?

Hope you are feeling better soon. Try and get out into the sunshine for a bit each day. Vitamin D helps healing and mood...

Jenn
  • Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ah geez Kez, I am so sorry you are feeling lonely :-(

I remember being very emotional that first week after a general anaesthetic. Even though I have hubby and kids living at home I actually felt like I would have been better by myself! "The grass is always greener" isn't it?

Hope you are feeling better soon. Try and get out into the sunshine for a bit each day. Vitamin D helps healing and mood...

Jenn
  • Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kez, so sorry to hear you are feeling so alone at the moment. I know how that feels....people get on with their own busy lives and we are left wondering 'what the hell just happened?'...'where is everyone?' .....'will I ever find a new kind of normality?'. Let's face it, BREAST CANCER SUCKS! We are living with it every day, others aren't. I have learned that the best thing I can do when I am feeling lonely is to reach out to others. I dont think it's that other people dont care...I think it's just that they don't realise how we feel, so they get on with their own lives assuming we are ok. Sometimes we have to let others know how we are feeling for them to be there for us. You say you have good friends...ring them. Pick up the phone and say hello. They will be delighted you called I'm sure. Also, is there a support group or friendship group in your area? Where do you live? (I ask because we have a lovely friendship group running in Adelaide). Keep blogging on this site too...there are lots of lovely women here to support you and make you feel less alone :-). Take care and look after yourself Kez...it will get better in time, big hugs Celeste ?

• Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kez, so sorry to hear you are feeling so alone at the moment. I know how that feels....people get on with their own busy lives and we are left wondering 'what the hell just happened?'...'where is everyone?' .....'will I ever find a new kind of normality?'. Let's face it, BREAST CANCER SUCKS! We are living with it every day, others aren't. I have learned that the best thing I can do when I am feeling lonely is to reach out to others. I dont think it's that other people dont care...I think it's just that they don't realise how we feel, so they get on with their own lives assuming we are ok. Sometimes we have to let others know how we are feeling for them to be there for us. You say you have good friends...ring them. Pick up the phone and say hello. They will be delighted you called I'm sure. Also, is there a support group or friendship group in your area? Where do you live? (I ask because we have a lovely friendship group running in Adelaide). Keep blogging on this site too...there are lots of lovely women here to support you and make you feel less alone :-). Take care and look after yourself Kez...it will get better in time, big hugs Celeste ?

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi adean here, I remember that week to its true when we have no one we want someone , and when surrounded we want quietness, I to have been married 30 years my husband after one week wanted to go back to work because he thought I was to independant and didnt need him, I had a week in bed when no one was home and I looked out the window one day after feeling low and I just thought thank goodness Im alive, and my positivity returned , but you go up and down, like the ladies say blog your little heart out , We never go away.

Hope your feeling a little better adeanxxx

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well done Kez for reaching out.  As I know that is one of the hardest things to do sometimes.  You will find that your friends love you and care about you but sometimes don't want to interfere or be a burden.  They feel you might want to be alone to heal.  I do know though that the majority of family and friends are breaking their neck to be able to do something for you (no matter how small it might be) cause they want to feel needed by you.

You can be assured that we are always here for you though.  I know there will be times when you will want people around and times when you want to be on your own but the good thing with us pink sisters is if you want us just send us a post and we will be there for you.

I wish you well with your journey and hope you get out and about and enjoy your family and friends love.  They can't replace your husband but they will definitely try their hardest in the best way they know how.

Stay in touch with your new sisters when you need us.

Mich xoxo