Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Update on data collection on secondary breast cancer

Options
2»

Comments

• chookie63
    chookie63 Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree with all the comments above and it is very very sad.

We are the forgotten ones.  We have a voice and we strive every day to stay alive. PLEASE Mr Stat man hear us we NEED answers, we NEED help, we NEED to stay alive, we NEED a cure.

We are young women some with families we are people. 

It is funny no it is sad actually that you only see the nice "pink" stories on the front of the newspapers but a story of abc goes to the middle or back of the paper we are just as important as everyone else.  Dont' get me wrong having ebc is crap and I wouldn't wish it on anyone but having abc is struggling to survive every single day financially, medically, physically and mentally.

Maybe as a group we can do something to put forward to the governent to hear our stories.  I promise even if it is the last breath I take I WILL get someone to listen to us, to help us, to make us the unforgotten.

• francesca_maree
    francesca_maree Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There was just a story on Today (hats off to them) about a beautiful young lady with ABC, lobbying her super fund to pay out her life insurance after her secondary diagnosis. She's apparently not dying quickly enough to get access to it, but that's another issue... The only problem I saw with the story was that there were no stats to go along with it. The media LOVE stats, as they make it really easy to paint a more compelling picture. We need to be able to quote stats, so let's start collecting them.
    Just as the media constantly quote "one in 8 women will get breast cancer", we need something to be able to quote to show what an important cause this is.
    For example... X% of women with breast cancer will eventually succumb to it. Or X% of women living with secondary breast cancer are under the age of 40.
    I'm not expecting to be able to quote these stats immediately, but we need to be able to quote them in the future.
  • francesca_maree
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There was just a story on Today (hats off to them) about a beautiful young lady with ABC, lobbying her super fund to pay out her life insurance after her secondary diagnosis. She's apparently not dying quickly enough to get access to it, but that's another issue... The only problem I saw with the story was that there were no stats to go along with it. The media LOVE stats, as they make it really easy to paint a more compelling picture. We need to be able to quote stats, so let's start collecting them.
    Just as the media constantly quote "one in 8 women will get breast cancer", we need something to be able to quote to show what an important cause this is.
    For example... X% of women with breast cancer will eventually succumb to it. Or X% of women living with secondary breast cancer are under the age of 40.
    I'm not expecting to be able to quote these stats immediately, but we need to be able to quote them in the future.
  • Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

Here's another link featuring a radio interview with the lovely Amanda Rynne and Maxine Morand talking about the crucial issue of collection of statistics for ABC. It seems that everyone agrees that this is an important issue...

http://www.bcna.org.au/network/groups/54/blog/44312

• Nicca Grant
    Nicca Grant Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi everyone

It's great to see this discussion re-kindled.

Data collection for secondary breast cancer continues to be an area of advocacy for us.  We don't have an update on the WA and Victorian trials just yet, but we are in regular contact with Cancer Australia and will update with further information as soon as it comes through.  The projects are quite extensive (they are trialling different methods of collecting data on the stage of the cancer at diagnosis and at recurrence) so they really want to get the process right before looking at implementing a national method of data collection.

It is really difficult to make accurate statements about secondary breast cancer statistics. I really wish I could answer all your questions about statistics with confidence.  There is no concrete information about how many women in Australia are currently living with secondary breast cancer, unfortunately.

That said, researchers have made some estimations about secondary breast cancer in Australia. They predicted that around 3000 Australian women (all ages) are diagnosed with secondary breast cancer each year, with around 9000 Australian women living with secondary breast cancer at any given time.

They estimated that around 3% were aged less than 40 years, 12% between 40-49, 23% between 50-59, 25% between 60-69, 26% between 70-79 and 12% 80+.

I just want to stress again that these numbers are projections or estimations (very educated guesses).  They are not quite as reliable as data collected through national cancer data registries, which is why we are advocating for improvements in this area.

I hope this information is useful to you.  I would hate to think that any woman with secondary breast cancer feels forgotten by BCNA - I want to assure you this is certainly not the case. We will continue to support and advocate for women with secondary breast cancer.  Get in touch if you have any further questions and take care

Nic

• Nicca Grant
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi everyone

It's great to see this discussion re-kindled.

Data collection for secondary breast cancer continues to be an area of advocacy for us.  We don't have an update on the WA and Victorian trials just yet, but we are in regular contact with Cancer Australia and will update with further information as soon as it comes through.  The projects are quite extensive (they are trialling different methods of collecting data on the stage of the cancer at diagnosis and at recurrence) so they really want to get the process right before looking at implementing a national method of data collection.

It is really difficult to make accurate statements about secondary breast cancer statistics. I really wish I could answer all your questions about statistics with confidence.  There is no concrete information about how many women in Australia are currently living with secondary breast cancer, unfortunately.

That said, researchers have made some estimations about secondary breast cancer in Australia. They predicted that around 3000 Australian women (all ages) are diagnosed with secondary breast cancer each year, with around 9000 Australian women living with secondary breast cancer at any given time.

They estimated that around 3% were aged less than 40 years, 12% between 40-49, 23% between 50-59, 25% between 60-69, 26% between 70-79 and 12% 80+.

I just want to stress again that these numbers are projections or estimations (very educated guesses).  They are not quite as reliable as data collected through national cancer data registries, which is why we are advocating for improvements in this area.

I hope this information is useful to you.  I would hate to think that any woman with secondary breast cancer feels forgotten by BCNA - I want to assure you this is certainly not the case. We will continue to support and advocate for women with secondary breast cancer.  Get in touch if you have any further questions and take care

Nic

• Amy
    Amy Member Posts: 233
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for getting back to us.  I agree that there seems to be more than 3% of women under 40 living with ABC.  I was diagnosed at 40 (43 now) with ABC from the start (like Mary-Lou does that mean my case was never even reported?). 

I am 'lucky' because I have a wonderful breast care nurse who is there for us ladies with ABC.  She is a great advocate for us.  Why can't evey woman with ABC have access to such support?

While I understand the need to promote awareness about early breast cancer, people need to also be educated about secondary breast cancer and those that are living with this disease.  More funding definitely needs to be allocated into research.  Anything that  BCNA can do to help us in getting the message out would be truly appreciated. 

Please don't forget about us; while it may be 'cheaper' to let us die in monetary terms let's not forget the human side of our stories - our children, partners, parents, friends - who also find it difficult to get support while they go through this journey with us.

• Nicca Grant
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi francesca_maree and Amy

Early breast cancer is also relatively uncommon in women under 40 (about 5% of cases according to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare).  I think it seems counter-intuitive to us because we tend to meet and talk to a lot of women in this age group unfortunately. Younger women with breast cancer make up a small percentage of the total number of Australians with breast cancer, but this is still far too large a number.  Vocal women such as yourself (and women of all ages!) make all of us here at BCNA even more determined and focused on ensuring that women with secondary breast cancer are supported, empowered and well-informed. 

You can read about our current secondary breast cancer strategy if you want to read a bit more about our work in this area.

Amy, more breast care nurses for women with secondary breast cancer is another top advocacy priority for us! We actually included it in our 2013 federal election submission. 

Also, are you signed up to receive the BCNA Research Bulletin? We have a regular spot focusing on research into secondary breast cancer. You might be interested to read this? If so, you can read about how to sign up here: http://www.bcna.org.au/news/research-bulletins

Again, I can't express enough how committed we are to ensuring that women with SBC are supported.  We do not, and could not ever possibly, forget about you. 

• Nicca Grant
    edited March 2015
    Options

Early breast cancer is also relatively uncommon in women under 40 (about 5% of cases according to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare).  I think it seems counter-intuitive to us because we tend to meet and talk to a lot of women in this age group unfortunately. Younger women with breast cancer make up a small percentage of the total number of Australians with breast cancer, but this is still far too large a number.  Vocal women such as yourself (and women of all ages!) make all of us here at BCNA even more determined and focused on ensuring that women with secondary breast cancer are supported, empowered and well-informed. 

You can read about our current secondary breast cancer strategy if you want to read a bit more about our work in this area.

Amy, more breast care nurses for women with secondary breast cancer is another top advocacy priority for us! We actually included it in our 2013 federal election submission. 

Also, are you signed up to receive the BCNA Research Bulletin? We have a regular spot focusing on research into secondary breast cancer. You might be interested to read this? If so, you can read about how to sign up here: http://www.bcna.org.au/news/research-bulletins

Again, I can't express enough how committed we are to ensuring that women with SBC are supported.  We do not, and could not ever possibly, forget about you. 

• Nicca Grant
    edited March 2015
    Options

• francesca_maree
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was 35 at EBC diagnosis, and 35 for ABC diagnosis as well (37 now) and I also have wonderful nurses. All women should have access to that kind of care.

• Pink66
    Pink66 Dragonfly Posts: 366
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Nic, boy only 5% it seems like so many more than that. That is seriously just my luck. EBC 38  and ABC 47.  I look forward to reading lots of interesting stuff.. 

cheers Sharon

• Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi ladies, I believe it's time we had an update on where things are at with the collection of statistics about secondary breast cancer in Australia. I think some more pressure needs to be put on those responsible for rolling this project out, so we can actually get some updates!

No-one knows how many women are diagnosed with this disease in Australia, how many are living with it, what the ages/geographical location/cultural background etc of are of these women, what care they are receiving and the care outcomes.

Research funding levels are usually based on data, which explains why approximately only 3-4% of breast cancer research funds are directed towards secondary breast cancer. Appalling stuff!

In the spirit of "rattling some cages" to raise the profile of this issue (and receive some sort of update as to what progress has been made and when a suitable minimum data set will be in place for secondary breast cancer), I've had a go at drafting a letter to local MP's and any other people/organisations who could do with a poke and prod to get some action happening! I thought maybe those who are interested could send the letter off to their MP's and see what sort of a response we get!

If you would like to help me rattle some cages, please feel free to send a private message through and I will send you a copy of the letter.  Thanks so much, Celeste ?

• Nicca Grant
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi everyone
    First of all, the very fact you are talking about this issue here helps us to advocate even more strongly.  I'd encourage anyone that wants to have a chat with me to give BCNA a call (1800 500 258 and ask for me or a member of the policy team) or email us at policy@bcna.org.au.

We always incorporate the words and experiences of women when making our formal advocacy submissions to governments. So the more we hear and read - such as this blog conversation - the better informed we are to argue our case.

The good news is that Cancer Australia has now been funded - 2.4 million dollars - to collect and report national data on the stage of cancer when diagnosed. Over the next four years we should see significant improvements to the collection and reporting of secondary breast cancer as a result. We regularly check in with Cancer Australia and have made our position very clear on the need for better secondary breast cancer data.

I really do encourage you to get in touch with us via our email address or phone if you have any questions or need more information from us. We try to follow the blog conversations as best we can, but we do not have access to conversations in private groups so we don't always see what you are saying. It is definitely much better to get in touch with us directly if you have a query or issue you want to raise. We always love to hear from you.

Nic

• Nicca Grant
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi everyone
    First of all, the very fact you are talking about this issue here helps us to advocate even more strongly.  I'd encourage anyone that wants to have a chat with me to give BCNA a call (1800 500 258 and ask for me or a member of the policy team) or email us at policy@bcna.org.au.

We always incorporate the words and experiences of women when making our formal advocacy submissions to governments. So the more we hear and read - such as this blog conversation - the better informed we are to argue our case.

The good news is that Cancer Australia has now been funded - 2.4 million dollars - to collect and report national data on the stage of cancer when diagnosed. Over the next four years we should see significant improvements to the collection and reporting of secondary breast cancer as a result. We regularly check in with Cancer Australia and have made our position very clear on the need for better secondary breast cancer data.

I really do encourage you to get in touch with us via our email address or phone if you have any questions or need more information from us. We try to follow the blog conversations as best we can, but we do not have access to conversations in private groups so we don't always see what you are saying. It is definitely much better to get in touch with us directly if you have a query or issue you want to raise. We always love to hear from you.

Nic