LIsaG

Options
2»

Comments

• LisaG
    LisaG Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How is everyone else faring? I haven't checked in for a week because I have had a visit to hospital (!)

I made it to day 8 feeling bleh but manageable and even up for a drive to Innisfail which is about an hour and a half drive from here. There was an outrigger regatta on and I couldn't pass up the chance to have a catch-up with all the friends and rivals from my "normal life".... on Saturday I felt even better - if I hadn't had this damn PICC line in I swear I would have jumped in for a race ;-)

I woke the next day with a very sore throat but by now my life revolves around pain and discomfort so I still drove home and headed for bed. Within 2 hours I had to get up and try out my new digital thermometer - my temp was 36.8. I could feel a downhill slide coming on and an hour later i made it to the magic number 38 - the number I was warned to look out for and to never ignore. By the time I was admitted to hospital I had crashed and burned big time. It took 24hrs to break the fever!

I was "nuetropaenic" which means my white blood cells were almost non existent. I had picked up a bug thru my sore throat and it really got me. My white cell count was 1.5 and Nuetrophylls (vital part of white cells) were zero! It has taken 3 days solid of multiple IV anti biotics and a mega boost needle that doubles the production of white blood cells in my bone marrow to get me back to normal.
    I've also developed a mouthful of thrush and an allergy to the dressing on my PICC line. BUT........ still no nausea and still a full head of hair.... yesss - we have positives! :-) It has definitely been a challenge and an opportunity to increase my knowledge of management of my reactions to treatment. I am now on the other side of my first "trough" so its got to get better every day from here on till the next dose.

My friend Sue picked me up and followed my orders - straight to the beach for lunch and coffee! I feel much better. Now I just need a good night of sleep in my own bed.
  • georgiebz
    georgiebz Member Posts: 75
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Lisa

so sorry to hear that you have had such a rough time....I've been wondering where you were and how you have been going.  Home to your own bed sounds wonderful.  Please take care and stay in touch tons of hugs to you

georgie

• georgiebz
    georgiebz Member Posts: 75
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi there Lisa - just seen your post and new photo and you look fantastic- just love  Coco!!

Cheers to you girl and enjoy the turtles G