Anne

Options
Grada
Grada Member Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in Day to day

I am thinking of having a bilateral total mastectomy since this is going to happen to my right breast anyway. Anyone having ever contemplated this or had it done?. Will be interested in any feedback, my operation will take place most probably at the end of June 2012

Thanks

Anne

Comments

• Shazinoz
    Shazinoz Member Posts: 307
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had my left one off due to cancer on 3rd Feb 2012, and am having a prophylactic one on the right when I finish chemo (I have a strong family history).

• such is life
    such is life Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, I am having bilateral mastectomies next week on the 23rd of May, would be happy to keep in contact and let you know my experiences, everyone needs to do what is right for them, for me there was no contest with a strong family history, I never wanted to hear those words again "you have got breast cancer" so wanted to give myself the best % that  I could

Cheers Narelle

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Anne, I also had a double mastectomy. First one due to cancer in Dec 2010, and the next one as a precaution, in September 2011 after all my chemo was over. I have also had bilateral implants, and am very happy with the result. My first tumour never showed up on a mammogram, and it was lucky that I found it, 3 months after a clear mammogram. I would find it hard to trust a mammogram again, so figured this would save me lots of anxiety. I have not once had any regret about making this decision. As I planned my second mastectomy, I had another mammogram and ultrasound prior to seeing my surgeon. The mammo was clear, but a suspicious lump showed up on the ultrasound. It was like history repeating itself, and how I regretted not having had them both removed at the same time. I endure a core biopsy this time and an anxious wait for results. This time it was benign, but if ever there was a sign that I was about to do the right thing, it was this little scare. I never doubted my decision after this. Good luck. Love Chris xx
  • SoniaWhite48
    SoniaWhite48 Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Anne,

My right mastectomy was done urgently and I had no time to seek plastic surgery advice on reconstruction at that time.
    My surgeon also wished to do the double mastectomy as pathology indicated that it would be necessary as a precaution. However, due to the aggressive nature of the present tumor, it was decided to only perform the single mastectomy initially, as a double mastectomy (considered to be more major surgery with greater infection risks) could have potentially delayed the necessary chemotherapy regime.

I started chemo 2 weeks after my surgery, and now a year later have just had surgery for a brain tumor. I am due for my bilateral mastectomy twelve months after radiation had finished which will be at the end of this year. Time will tell if that is possible at this stage. I was going to have reconstruction as well, but at the moment I am not sure that I want to go through all of that.

I am just happy to be alive and present for my three lovely kids (14 yrs, 11 yrs and 10 yrs)

So, if you are able and they recommend the double mastectomy, then go for it. I am constantly battling with lopsidedness. I find it uncomfortable to wear a bra due to the post radn fibrosis, so I have found wearing a tight seamless singlet the best for keeping my wayward breast under control.

All the best for your surgery, I can't wait for mine.

Cheers Sonia
  • Grada
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for that Narelle, I would be very happy if you could share your experiences with me. I am going to see my surgeon in 3 weeks time to discuss the operation, when I first mentioned it to him he sounded a bit surprised as I do not have a family history and the chance of getting the cancer back in my other breast is only about 7%.

So I do need to discuss it with him a bit more in depth. Good luck with your operation, hope all will go well with you, I will be thinking of you on Wednesday

Cheers

Anne

• Grada
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for replying Sonia.

At the moment I still don't know what to do as my surgeon has not recommended a double mastectomy, he sounded in fact a little surprised when I mentioned it to him. Am going to see him again in trhee weeks time so I can discuss it a bit more indepth with him

Good luck with your surgery

Anne

• annie58
    annie58 Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had my first off 0n 15/12/2010 and wasnt going to have reconstruction.

I changed my mind and had the other off on 14/2/2012 and the double reconstruction started. I  will finished my reconstruction on 30th May 2012

I was very relieved to have the other one gone, a weight of my mind. Im in a good place.

Hope all goes well for you.

Ann

• annie58
    edited March 2015
    Options

I changed my mind and had the other off on 14/2/2012 and the double reconstruction started. I  will finished my reconstruction on 30th May 2012

I was very relieved to have the other one gone, a weight of my mind. Im in a good place.

Ann

• annie58
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ann

• atashi
    atashi Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had a bilateral mastectomy nearly 18 months ago followed by chemo and radiation. I have tried to wear a bra [with prosthesis], also a singlet top, like Sonia, but found that it kept 'riding up' whenever I moved my arms so eventually the prosthesis ended up closer to my neck than where they should be! Has anyone else had this problem? Can I ask what type of bra you use? I've been told that reconstruction is not an option but I'd like to wear some of my 'feminine' clothes occasionally in which case a bra/prosthesis is necessary. Any ideas?