End chemo round 1

Options
serenity11
serenity11 Member Posts: 143
edited May 2012 in Day to day

As I prepare for chemo round 2 tomorrow I am feeling 90% normal. 

Because of my sensitivity to steroids (unknown prior to treatment) I couldnt feel anything from the inside out and it was scary. It also meant I couldnt leave the house, drive, type etc which was frustrating. An imposed quarantine which is probably not a bad thing. I went from well to invalid in a couple of days - that was confronting.  This feeling has worn off and in the past 3 days I am nearly normal.

I havent been able to return to work because of the numbness, so I have negotiated sick leave without pay until my treatment levels out. I work for the government and my contract is up at the end of June. It seems that there may not be a workplace after that anyway (new QLD govt directives) so I may get my wish of not working during treatment.

What I have discovered after round 1:)

I found I was able to keep the nausea down with arrowroot biscuits, weak green tea with a slice of ginger, weak apple cider vinegar with a drop of honey and small meals every 2 hours. So I didnt need the Maxalon that was sent home. I have it in reserve though.  My tastebuds changed overnight.

My hair started shedding instantly. It has thinned but it still hanging in there :) . I am booked into a look good feel better class in 10 days time. And I have ordered some merino skull caps from "ice breaker". My husband has one for winter which is really soft. They have no seams and are washable in the machine so I am going to try them.

I also found my skin got really dry really fast so I have switched to a goats milk soap (as suggested by my breastcare nurse) and I have some moisturiser coming from a company called moogoo which is supposed to be for chemo patients.

Synthetic materials gave me "motion sickness" during the first five days after treatment. So my plush soft dressing gown and microfibre blanket have been discarded for a terry toweling one and wool and cotten blankets.

I am able to give myself an injection without fear.  My post chemo regime includes a self injection (Neulasta) on day 2 to help with my immune system. It seems to have worked. My bloods on day 5 were ok.

My oncologist has a wicked sense of humour and is quietly determined to see me through the "fatigue terrors" - where your  brain won't shut down because you are so tired and as a result you overthink everything and come up with a zillion questions.

As there is not much known about TNBC I volunteered to participate in whatever tests they would like if it assists the research. I also volunteered to sign over my tumour pathology if it helps.  This in turn has helped my mental wellbeing and determination to be "cured".

Chemo is doable.  Yucky but doable!  I take heart when I read of people who are 4 and 8 more years out from chemo and doing well. It means there is light at the end of the chemo tunnel :) Just need to remember that when I am padding around the house unable to sleep.

Exercise helps with fatigue - an anomaly that works for me.

Be gentle on yourself. 

SO, onto Round 2 and the next learning curve.

Comments

• serenity11
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just after my last post my moogoo arrived on my doorstep.  The "Udder Cream" moisturiser is now sitting in my bathroom with a free sample of "Milk Wash".  I will patch test the cream tonight and see how I go. 

The skull cap is a "unisex pocket 200" ordered via "the natureshop" an NZ company (free post to Australia).

• serenity11
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Shazinoz

Have just had round 2 and feel so much better today (we halved the steroids) and I had a premed of another anti nausea drug to block what the steroids wont. (forgot to note the name down). 

I have been given some wonderful headgear, and I have two polar fleece bands.  The problem is that synthetics (last round) gave me that travel sickness feeling (hope it doesnt last) and all these lovely gifts are synthetic. But I shall work around it.

With the fatigue the advice seems to be go with the flow. I have been "resting" nearing on an hourly basis with round 1 although it eased in the last 3 days, so I had family over for early dinner on one night and then went straight to bed - that was exhausting but fun.  I also went to the shops for the first time on Wednesday , spent about two hours and then came home and "rested" awhile on my bed. But i did enjoy getting to the shops even just to run errands.

Moogoo has a psoriasis/eczema cream which has received rave reviews, so I got a little tube of that too.  I understand that whilst not prone to skin conditions my skin wont be able to balance itself so I may get issues.  I was put onto moogoo by a friend whose babies have terrible skin problems, it is all organic ingredients.  I will be patch testing first.  Otherwise like you i will use sorbolene and gylcerine.

Best of luck with round 3.