Single, 40 and approaching matsectomy

Custard
Custard Member Posts: 417
edited May 2012 in Health and wellbeing

IS there anyone who can offer support to a newly diagnosed 40 year old recently single woman who is in Tassie and facing a mastectomy in the next few weeks?

She would love to be in touch with someone in her age group - hasn't got access to computer at present but I could pass on contact details.

Comments

• Shazinoz
    Shazinoz Member Posts: 307
    edited March 2015

I am 41 (diagnosed at 40 on 22/12/11) and had a mastectomy (nipple and partial skin sparing with immediate silicone implant reconstruction on 3/2/12) and am now undergoing chemotherapy ( began 2/4/12, 3rd of 6 cycles due on 14/05/12).

I am in Canberra though and if she doesn't have computer access then that could make contact difficult (I can't afford long distance hone calls - I am on a Disability Pension - due to pre existing medical conditions)

• Custard
    edited March 2015

Hi and sincere thanks for your reply- she too is on a limited income but I will tell her in case she can get to computer.. she has recently had major life changes apart from this diagnosis.

I wish you well through your journey, although it is a necessary buggar, there is light at the end of the tunnel. 8 years this month for me!

Take special care, Mandy

• Shazinoz
    Shazinoz Member Posts: 307
    edited March 2015

Tell her you can usually get free computer access through public libraries.

I am not single either, but I am HAPPY to email her and converse, support her via computer means.

Let me know and I will PM you my personal email address to give to her.

• Brindabella Star
    Brindabella Star Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015

Hi Mandy, I was diagnosed at 40, I've had a mastectomy and 6 years down the track I'm still going strong.  I'm happy to be here as a virtual support.  Is there a local support group close by do you know??  If you drop me a message saying where your friend lives I'll have a check for you, I'm a BNCA Community Liaison here in Melbourne so can have a good look at what is locally about for your friend in addition to just having a good ol' chat. Take care Yvonne ( AKA Brindabella Star- woman with slight super powers, because we all do!)

• SoniaWhite48
    SoniaWhite48 Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Hi Mandy,

I can be a contact person to help your lady in Launceston. I am going to Hobart on Tuesday for neurosurgery to remove a secondary tumor, but I'll be back a few weeks after that!

I am 44 and recently single with 3 kids and had mastectomy last April.
    I am on twitter and am tweeting daily about my experiences last year and also it's uncanny parallel to this year.
    Twitter @SoniaWhite48
  • Custard
    edited March 2015

Thanks all for the reply to my request for a contact for the recently diagnosed 40 year old in  Launceston. She has been given this info, so it is up to her now. Once she has the surgery I am sure she will get in touch. Thanks again! What a great network, makes me VERY proud to be a Community Liaison for BCNA.

• Custard
    edited March 2015

Thanks all for the reply to my request for a contact for the recently diagnosed 40 year old in  Launceston. She has been given this info, so it is up to her now. Once she has the surgery I am sure she will get in touch. Thanks again! What a great network, makes me VERY proud to be a Community Liaison for BCNA.