Just an update ... :)

Options
Michelle K
Michelle K Member Posts: 9
edited October 2013 in General discussion

Its been quite a while since I have posted anything, (what can I say... I have been slack), but in that time I have had upteen doctors visits, another small amount of surgery and a nipple reconstruction.

Tomorrow I am getting the final touches on my reconstructed breast... I am getting the areola tattooed.

I am so looking forward to that, I will finally have what resembles a  normal looking breast...(well apart from the scars).

I still have some swelling in my reconstructed breast... (I had the surgery in Sept last yr) but it is going... slowly but still going.. All of my doctors visits have been great... thank goodness...

Heres hoping this continues... :)))

Comments

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Michelle, nice to see you back!  Glad to hear you're making progress. Let us know what you think of your new tattoo when it's done.  We've had a few people ask questions here about those.

Di

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Michelle, nice to see you back!  Glad to hear you're making progress. Let us know what you think of your new tattoo when it's done.  We've had a few people ask questions here about those.

Di

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Michelle, I too had reconstruction last September, with tissue expanders first, and silicone implants in January. I will be very interested in your nipple tattoos. I am undecided at present whether to have nipples made, but feel pretty sure that I will have the nipple and aerola tattooed, hopefully in a 3D affect. My skin over my implants feels very thin, so not sure if I should be risking more surgery. Did you have implants, or a skin type reconstruction? I had bilateral reconstructions, did you as well? Love Chris xx
  • Michelle K
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Di :),

Thankyou so very much for the lovely welcome back and well wishes. I had my tattoo done today and I have one word for it... WOW !!... it really looks great.. The colour is slightly darker than the left breast areola but this is normal apparently , the colour is expected to fade slightly over time. I go back in 3 weeks for a check -up and a 'top -up ' of the colour if needed. They used natural pigment in the actual tattoo and I am amazed and delighted at how well it has come up.. 

If anyone has any questions about it, I will always be more than happy to help if I can. 
    Please take care, 

Michelle :) xx

• Michelle K
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Chris, I am so sorry I am late in replying... life is a bit crazy atm.. When I had the reconstruction in Sept last year, I had it in conjuction with  the mastectomy. I had what was called a skin saving mastectomy and then had a tram flap reconstruction... the surgery was a very long one but for me, it worked out really well. I had a few hiccups along the way... developed a 9 cm haemotoma but thankfully that is all gone now . :) I had the choice of using implants for the reconstruction but I opted to using my own stomach tissue. In February I had the nipple reconstrucion done... Chris, the result is nothing short of amazing.. The surgeon I had is brilliant and he has made the nipple appear so real.. He used my existing skin to make the nipple ... there is a scar that goes either side of it...but now I have had the tattooing done, it is invisible. I was awake throughout the whole nipple reconstruction... it really only took perhaps 3/4 hr all up in time.  The tattooing I had done yesterday and once again I am thrilled with the result.  The areola is a tad darker than my left breast but in time it will fade as the doctor used natural pigments not ink to make the colour. I go back in 3 weeks for a check and colour 'top up' if needed. My breast is still covered with scars but all in all, I am so glad I had the reconstruction, the nipple reconstruction and the tattooing done. If you need to chat about anything or would like to know anything , please dont hesitate to ask. I would love to help in any way if I can. Please take care, Michelle xxx

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh! That's great to hear.  It's amazing how realistic tattoos can be, sometimes, isn't it?  I'll add some tags to your post for you so that others can find it if they're looking.  Thanks for sharing how it went. :)

Di

• Michelle K
    edited March 2015
    Options

You are so very welcome Di... :) 

Please take care, 

Michelle xx