Scared but going to kick some butt!!

Options
spiel
spiel Member Posts: 10
edited April 2012 in Day to day

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are feeling fit today! I'm Haylee, I'm 32 and have a 14month old Son. Recently I noticed my right boob felt a bit thicker than normal almost like mastitis, couldn't feel a lump, my partner said to me last Tuesday I think you should get it checked out. The GP said it all feels pretty normal but sent me for an Ultrasound anyways. There was a suspicious lesion that I got biopsied on Thursday, and Monday the results came back as Grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma. The GP rang some surgeons and I got in that afternoon, I've since had MRI, Mammo etc, and saw surgeon again yesterday. On MRI there was some more suspicious ? pre cancer areas, dotted around the boob, which 1) I could have them biopsied under mammography, and then mastectomy if more cancer, 2) I could have lumpectomy and biopsy then, then if required further mastectomy or 3) mastectomy. Now I've always said any sign of breast cancer the girls are going, but now I'm scared bout letting them go. SO I have signed for a mastectomy cause I don't want this to come back, specially if there is more suspicious areas,  then I'll need reconstruction surgery down the track, and when that happens I'll think I'll get the other taken and reconstructed at the same time. What are your guys thoughts?

Comments

• danielle ghilardi
    danielle ghilardi Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Haylee, sorry to hear of your diagnosis and sorry it took me so long to reply.

Don't be scarred it's great that you have found it early and you have a beautiful son to keep you busy whilst all the treatment is going on.

I too had invasive ductal at the same stage as yours. I had a mastectomy of the cancer side and immediate reconstruction and then after chemo i had the other side also removed and immediate recon of that side too. 

I think that your decision to have the mastectomy is best. You don't want the cancer to come back and reconstruction is amazing these days.

Your husband sounds very supportive, my husband was and is my rock. I had to learn to talk to him a little more and not expect him to just understand everything.

I am 2 years on from my diagnosis now and life is great. I take tamoxifen and have 2 more surgeries but other than that cancer is behind me. It is really tough as you are going through treatment but it does all come to an end and life return to a new normal. 

I wish you all the best and i will be here for you if you ever have any questions or you just need a chat.

Love, Danielle xx

• spiel
    spiel Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Danielle & Danielle,

Good luck and thinking of you as you have surgery today.
    I had a mastectomy almost 2 weeks ago now! Feeling pretty good, had an expander in at the same time. All seems to be healing well. Although have some nice serous build up, can deal with that tho. They only took 3 lymph nodes which were clear, and had none scan and ct yesterday! Hopefully they are clear also. See oncologist next week to see when I start chemo.

Haylee
    Xx