Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Way forward

Options
Susan C
Susan C Member Posts: 16
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

HI All

I went to the oncologist yesterday and am happy to report he is going to admit me to hospital asap and start chemotherapy.  I am just so glad that he is looking at various treatments to try to contain and shrink the cancers... I suppose that is all one can hope for!  Next hurdle will be that the chemo works...  I felt so positive after the oncologist but feeling anxious again this morning.  I am usually a very positive person but I gather this is probably one of the hardest things I have had to deal with in my life... just the knowing and the not knowing. .. I'm sure that it will get better as all things do in time.. it has been only really 4 days since I got the news.. I am always in a hurry!

I am off to look good feel better today .. so that should be a great day and a special thing to do with my 22 year old daughter.. she is looking forward to it too!  I still have all hair but once they start chemotherapy I will get my daughter to do a number 2 shave in prep for the falling out.

Thank you all you wonderful ladies that replied to my blog... I will keep  you posted.

Susan

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

You look like the kind of lady "who can do it".  What got me through chemo was knowing that "others had gone before me and survived".  Looking back now - this time last year I was struggling through my first round of chemo - yesterday we moved house.  It is still chaos but "where did I get all this energy from?".  Look through the "tunnel" - the end is always there!!! XLeonie

• chipmunk
    chipmunk Member Posts: 280
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Susan

There will be an end to all this "roller coaster ride". I to have just started the journey. I start chemo this Friday 27/4/12, and am scared. But I know that I will be okay. As Leonie said, others have travelled and survived. And I know I will be one of those as well.

This website is fantastic, and you will truly find kind and terrice advice.

Thats great that you have your 22 year old daughter there for you. I haven't enrolled in the Look good feel better as yet, but I am definately organising it real soon. Let me know how it was.

Anyway, our thoughts are with  you, and big hugs

Julie XX

• Shazinoz
    Shazinoz Member Posts: 307
    edited March 2015
    Options

The look good feel better workshops are AMAZING, a truly fun day out, with lots of GREAT advice, fun and giggles.

I had an ABSOLUTE balst and for the 1st time in my 40 years I now know how to apply make up properly (was nevery a big make up person), look after my skin properly, hide my chemo rash (and eczema on my face). I also now have more make up and skin care products than I have EVERY OWNED in my LIFE and even more outstanding is that I use them, just a ltitle really makes me feel a little more feminine, and pretty and I like the look with my nearly naked head.

The information on wigs, scarves, hear wear etc is also amazing and very helpful (I had hair when I did the workshop, it has begun falling out about 2 days before, so I was leavign hair trails everywhere I went (but I wanted to keep my ahir for 1 more day becasue it was my 41st irthday the following dayand I decided that would be my last "hair day", and it was, I got a number 2 the next day, compliemtns of hubby.

• Susan C
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi All

Unfortunately, I missed my Look Good Feel Better Day but alas I was admitted to hospital due to my breathing difficulties with the cancer spreading to my lungs.  The upshot is I also began chemotherapy whilst in hospital...so within 3 days of seeing the oncologist my treatment was happening!  I had the chemo on Thursday.. so today is day 3 and I am feeling quite fantastic... actually better than I did before I started... and I am finally home this afternoon after spending the last 4 nights in hospital.  So hopefully it will not be too much of a shock to my system.. they did say it was extremely strong chemo and that it would probably knock me around but alas the anit nausea meds etc have kept me well and looks like my body has responded positively.  I hope you also have the same response and have a pleasant surprise with your chemo!

Susan xx

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sorry to hear of the complications, but Glad tohear the first chemo has gone well withlimited side effects.

You can change the date & go to the next LGFB in your area.

Glad tpo hear you are home & Ihopechemo continues to treat you well & with limited side effects, but with GREAT results.

Cycle 2 for me went well but have had bad fatigue this time.

Good luck with the rest of your treatments & I hope you make it to the next LGFB workshop with your darling daughter.

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sorry to hear of the complications, but Glad tohear the first chemo has gone well withlimited side effects.

You can change the date & go to the next LGFB in your area.

Glad tpo hear you are home & Ihopechemo continues to treat you well & with limited side effects, but with GREAT results.

Cycle 2 for me went well but have had bad fatigue this time.

Good luck with the rest of your treatments & I hope you make it to the next LGFB workshop with your darling daughter.

• Susan C
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi.. thanks for the information.  Is that common to go well the first time and then have the issue with the neutropenic the 2nd?  Its good to know so I am as vigilant the first as the second time.  I will continue to monitor my temps.  Day 5 today and still feeling fine.  Was a bit breathless yesterday morning but medication improved the breathing later in the morning.  I am going to the wig and turban library this morning to get ready for the hair loss.. so should be a bit of fun to see what there is available and what my new look could be!

Have a great day.

Susan xxoo

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

From what I can gather, they (powers to be) can't give you the neutropenia injection until you become neutrophenic.  Does that make sense?  It appears that it happens to most but not all - after the second dose.  Take care and keep vigilent. XLeonie

• Susan C
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for the advice Leonie.. I am being very vigilant and my family is on guard .. so no slacking off here!

Susan xo

• Susan C
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for the advice Leonie.. I am being very vigilant and my family is on guard .. so no slacking off here!

Susan xo