Exercise for the fatigued!

Options
LALA66
LALA66 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2012 in Health and wellbeing

Hi everyone,

This is my first time on this blog and I'm hoping for some advice.  Whilst I am recovering from my 6th chemo treatment I am keen to get some energy back by doing some gentle exercise but I'm not sure where to start.  I've asked palliative care if they are aware of subsidised exercise for those who are still week and sore from joint pain but they didn't know of any.  Apart from going to the hydrotherapy pool, it's about the only thing I can do as walking does not help my bone pain.  Any thoughts or ideas?

Comments

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi LaLA, cogratulations on surviving 6 rounds of chemo. I do some exercise classes at the SAN hospital in Wahroonga Sydney. These are called land exercise for breast surgery patients. These are fantastic, as they are designed for us, and there is a great support network surrounding this. We all have a coffee after it as well, so great friendships are developing. Perhaps ask at your hospitals physio department. There is also the ENCORE program which is a free program, or very inexpensive. Try and google it to find out more. This is an 8 week session, of water and maybe exercise classes for breast surgery patients. ( I haven't done these, but believe they are very good ). Love Chris xx
  • ShirlO
    ShirlO Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi there LaLa, I have been doing Tai Chi for five years and am now a team leader/instructor.

I was diagnosed with b/c in 2010 and had a r/side mastectomy and lymnph node removal.  i resumed tai Chi two weeks after surgery .... sitting in a chair doing restricted movements.  As each week passed I did what my body allowed and within two months was standing again, doing full movements.  I still get tired and when the bones go into "go slow" mode (mainly thanks to the arthritis and side effects of the Arimidex) I rest.

If you google "Paul Lam" or go into You Tube and do a search you will find a range of DVDs.  There are a lot of proponents of Tai Chi but these have been formulated by Dr Lam and target all parts of the body.  The one we use is Tai Chi for Arthritis.

I guess with any exercise the main thing is to listen to your body ..... it will tell you when it has done enough, then it's time to rest.

Take care of yourself

Cheers ... Shirl x0x

• LALA66
    LALA66 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi ladies,

Thanks to all who responded.  I will definitely look into all your options and give those home exercises a go.  Good to know I can come to this blog and read up on what is going on with others as well as get the support I need.  Cheerio Laura xx

• HLS77
    HLS77 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Laura
    You may want to look into pink pilates. I'm currently doing it and finding it great for regaining strength and energy. The program is tailored to each woman by a physio therapist and done in a small class - usually 3 or 4 women. You can also use the 5 sessions you get with a physio under the chronic disease care plan to pay for it!
    Good luck,
    Heather