Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Good news again

Options
2»

Comments

• traxx65
    traxx65 Member Posts: 252
    edited March 2015
    Options

HI Amy,

Congratulations on your good results. All the best with the surgery.  My onc and I have sort of discussed it but I am going to be 47 this year and seem to be right  on the edge of the decision. 

Take care.

Tracey xx

• kato
    kato Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2015
    Options

I would love to know if we can avoid taking tamoxifen (or whichever they decide) for 5 - 10 years by getting our ovaries removed?

Hugs, Kylie x

• Jrova
    Jrova Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Even though my ovaries have been removed, I take Femara because my body still gets small amounts of eostrogen made in the adrenal glands and fat cells. Hope this answers your question. xx Jane
  • Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had a similar question as Kylie. My periods stopped in 2009 (when I had ER+ EBC) due to chemo induced menopause and when I enquired about ovary removal, I was told there was no need to as my ovaries had already 'shut down' (ie no periods).....yet I had a secondary ER+ diagnosis! I've also been told I'll need to take an aromatose inhibiter, even though my ovaries have 'shut down'. I knew the body made estrogen in various ways, but didnt realise it was made in the adrenal glands and fat cells, so thanks for the info Jane, Celeste?

• Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

Have had a rough few weeks but am hanging in there! Are you going to the April 5th get together? Hope to see you then! Take care, Celeste?

• Samhutto
    Samhutto Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Celeste
    I'm so sorry to hear its been a tough few weeks for you, not that I can imagine any of your past months would have been easy! I hope you get to spend lots of time with your daughter over the hols. I am looking forward to the lazier mornings! I probably won't make next Friday as my 6 & 8 yr olds are home from school that day so may be too hard. Hope you can get there to see Karen & the others.
    Take care, & lots of hugs to you. Hopefully see you at next gathering.
    Xxxxx
  • melissa
    melissa Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for the reply i am really interested to know the benefits of having the ovaries removed compared to zoladex.

Melissa

• Amy
    Amy Member Posts: 233
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sam

I won't go on HRT because my cancer is hormone positive.  Basically, going to have the ovaries out so I can stop having the monthly zoladex injection (which has already put me into menopause anyway).  I will still carry on with Femara too (as well as Bondronat).

Good luck with you appointment on Tuesday.

Amy x