I thought turning 40 was huge!

Options
vickic_happy
vickic_happy Member Posts: 4
edited November 2012 in Newly diagnosed

Hiya,

I've never Blogged before so here I go ...

I was diagnosed with early breast cancer Dec 2011 - was VERY quickly booked in for a lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy between Xmas and New Year.  2wks later I was back having a full removal of the lymph gland as 1/16 nodes was showing cancerous cells. 

I've just started my chemo last Friday (FEC) in Toowoomba, QLD (4350).  I already have a sore scalp and have contacted Cancer Council QLD (fab people!) for my Wig voucher.

Would like to hear from anyone out there who is going through similar to me / age / area etc.

Comments

• kellys
    kellys Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi,
    I too was diagnosed in dec. I had a lumpectomy and ax dissection with 3/25 nodes positive. Unfortunately I also have a couple of tiny spots on my rib and sternum which they will just watch. Devastating. I'm 31 and live in melb. I started FEC at the end of jan & have had 2 cycles. Check out my blog for how it went. Cycle 2 has been harder because I was already unwell and still am. Have some kind of throat/nose infection.
    I have a wig too, which looks great on and I get lots of nice comments, but sometimes I feel like a bit of a fraud wearing it. I find it easier when people know and we can joke about it. I had my hair cut short a week after first cycle and on day 19 in literally washed out in the shower. It got itchy and I just knew it was all loose. It was pretty awful, but once gone easier to manage and no longer itchy.
    Stay well and away from anyone with bugs (hard if you have kids). Hope you find a great wig
    Kelly
  • moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi and welcome to out great network of support, although it's not the best way to meet new people, you have come to the right place, we have women who have gone through and others like yourself who have just started the journey of the unknown, and fear.  I would like to say first of all THERE ARE NO SILLY QUESTIONS ON HERE, so feel free to ask anything you want to know, or just to be reassured, there will alway be someone on here, who knows how you are feeling. Ad although we all react differently to our medication/treatment, we do know the phsycological (probably spelt wrong lol), Have you both applied for the my journey kit from this site, it is free, and i know when i was first diagnosed, i was given sooooo much information and leaflets, i didn't get through them all, but with the my journey kit, you have everything at your fingertips in an organised manner, so just one of the things to help on the way. if you havent already registered for it, make sure you do. As for the wig thing, again there are lot of information on here look up the services directory, and hopefully there will be a place near you, which will help. We are so lucky to have this site, so PLEASE keep comming back and let us know how you are doing. we are all only a keyboard away. and as we say here, by helping yourself, you can also help others by joining us. Good Luck Ladies,. Keep in touch XX

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi and welcome to out great network of support, although it's not the best way to meet new people, you have come to the right place, we have women who have gone through and others like yourself who have just started the journey of the unknown, and fear.  I would like to say first of all THERE ARE NO SILLY QUESTIONS ON HERE, so feel free to ask anything you want to know, or just to be reassured, there will alway be someone on here, who knows how you are feeling. Ad although we all react differently to our medication/treatment, we do know the phsycological (probably spelt wrong lol), Have you both applied for the my journey kit from this site, it is free, and i know when i was first diagnosed, i was given sooooo much information and leaflets, i didn't get through them all, but with the my journey kit, you have everything at your fingertips in an organised manner, so just one of the things to help on the way. if you havent already registered for it, make sure you do. As for the wig thing, again there are lot of information on here look up the services directory, and hopefully there will be a place near you, which will help. We are so lucky to have this site, so PLEASE keep comming back and let us know how you are doing. we are all only a keyboard away. and as we say here, by helping yourself, you can also help others by joining us. Good Luck Ladies,. Keep in touch XX

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Vicki

I was diagnosed with early breast cancer Nov 2011.  I had a wide local excision (lumpectomy) and sentinel node biopsy on 22/12/11 (Merry Xmas).  The lump was bigger than was originally thought and they weren't able to get a full clear clearance due to it being too close to the chest wall.  They found micrometases in the 2 nodes removed.  I then had a total axillary clearance (17 nodes removed) on 19/1/12.  No further cancer was found in these nodes.  I went home from hospital next day after surgery with a drain attached and this was removed on day 7.    I have had a full body scan, full body CT scan and due to a heart murmur I also had to have a heart gait test.  I had an infection from either the second surgery or the drain of which I was on antibitiotics right up to the day of my first chemo which was on 2/3/12.  I am now day 12 of first chemo and feeling fine except scalp is itchy and tender.  My next chemo is due on 26/3/12.  I am having a total of four cycles of FEC and 2 of Taxotere.  I live in a rural area of W.A. on the coast.

I have my wig I purchased already (4 my daughters wedding on 7/4/12) plus one from the Wig Library for day to day wearing which is more natural and doesn't look like I just walked out of a hairdressers cause it is very windy town we live in,  plus some turbans and bandanas from them also.  I have had 2 hair cuts so far to make the transition a bit easier, next one will be the full Monty which I will have in 1 week when I go to Perth.  I think I will try and buy some MOOGOO cream for my scalp as other girls have suggested.  I am also rinsing my mouth on a regular basis due to ulceration and cocky cage feeling.  I have also had some major aching which I found corrective massage and some reiki healing etc. helped dramatically.  I have some trouble with hand shaking/control but the body aching has been my main problem other than major fatigue.

I hope you are going well on your journey and wish you all the best.  I am very happy to chat with someone who is in a similar place on this rolla coaster ride so just put your fingers to the keyboard if I can be here for you and vice versa.

Mich x LOL