New to all this and need friends

Options
sel1962
sel1962 Member Posts: 6
edited February 2012 in Day to day

Hi I dont quiet know where to start, A routine mamogram found a lump in my right breast on the 3rd Jan 2012, I was informed that day that I would need to see breat surgeon. I had biopsy on 19th Jan and got results on the 31st Jan. I had surgery on 17th Feb were they removed lump and 2 sentinle nodes. I get my results on the 6th March. 

I had a bad day yesturday and didnt know who to talk too till my partner came home and said to join bcna. 

I am 49, mother of 4 children, grandmother of 5 and in new relationship of 2 1/2 years. I think my partner is doing ok he is a bit quiet. 

I just feel at the moment that my whole world is falling apart and not sure what is the next step, I try not to think about the cancer and try to keep positive but it is a little hard when you could lose everything. 

Thanks for listening  Selina

Comments

• Samantha Cunnington
    Samantha Cunnington Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Selina, rest assured, there are many, many of us here to support you thru this twist in ur path. We have been where u are right now and felt very much the same emotions.  It can be all consuming of ur life right now and feel a bit 'out of control'. Don't be frightened to come here and vent or ask for advice..thats what we are here for. Just checking too--has a "my journey kit" been ordered for you?? You can order 1 thru the BCNA site if ur Breast care nurse hasn't already sone so...it is such a valuable resource, full of info written in real language and plenty of stuff for not only you, but also family & friends.Even tho it can be difficult to stay positive, a good outcome is more the norm these days and if you can feel u trust ur medical team and that they are doing their best for you then there should be nothing to worry about (I KNOW thats easy to say)..I am not in the bayside area, but u are connected so take advantage of the support group..I am always happy to become a contact either on this site or u can search for my name on Facebook-(if ur on it)there is a great BC group there for support too. I have the same prof pic on both so i am pretty easy to find :)

I hope this sees u feeling a little easier about things

Good luck with ur results..hopefully just the lump and 2 nodes is all that is required to be removed

Sam :)

• Samantha Cunnington
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Selina, rest assured, there are many, many of us here to support you thru this twist in ur path. We have been where u are right now and felt very much the same emotions.  It can be all consuming of ur life right now and feel a bit 'out of control'. Don't be frightened to come here and vent or ask for advice..thats what we are here for. Just checking too--has a "my journey kit" been ordered for you?? You can order 1 thru the BCNA site if ur Breast care nurse hasn't already sone so...it is such a valuable resource, full of info written in real language and plenty of stuff for not only you, but also family & friends.Even tho it can be difficult to stay positive, a good outcome is more the norm these days and if you can feel u trust ur medical team and that they are doing their best for you then there should be nothing to worry about (I KNOW thats easy to say)..I am not in the bayside area, but u are connected so take advantage of the support group..I am always happy to become a contact either on this site or u can search for my name on Facebook-(if ur on it)there is a great BC group there for support too. I have the same prof pic on both so i am pretty easy to find :)

I hope this sees u feeling a little easier about things

Good luck with ur results..hopefully just the lump and 2 nodes is all that is required to be removed

• jo1234
    jo1234 Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2015
    Options

Your in the right place to make contact with some really great women and gain some really valuable advice and information like from Samantha in the blog above who like so many others is a tower of strength and wisdom to so many people on this site despite going through her own ongoing battles and heart aches, she is a real inspiration to so many.

Like you i felt my world was falling apart too and i felt so scared of the unknown. I could not find enough information to satisfy my grief and found that the internet became my closest companion during this horrible time.  Selena you are going through something that we never think we will get ..... It is scary and most people on BCNA understands exactly what you are feeling. You will have your ups and downs which is so normal, i still have them now and i am 6 months post Op......Have you got your Journey kit yet  as it has some great information in it and it is a really neat kit.

I wont say " be brave and dont worry"  as it is really hard as the dam thing has invaded your body and you have every right to be scared.   But i will say try and keep reminding your self to stay positive as  the medical world has come along way over the years and most people survive this disease through the treatment plans developed  by your oncologist... I felt myself crying at every corner and that is normal too, so dont be afraid to cry and talk about it  as much as you want to,  as it is a big emotional journey you are embarking on.   I still need to come onto this site and both try and reassure others and also to gain advise for my self so anytime you need to chat or cry  dont be afraid to come on,  someone will always be around to help you.

The waiting will really become a nightmare, it drags on and on and on but try and keep busy until 6th March. I also are the same age but i have 3 children and 4 grand kids that are just my life's greatest gifts and no dam cancer  will ever take that away.

Cheers Jo xx

• sel1962
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jo, Sam and Di, Thank you for being here, My partner ordered "my Journey" for me when we first got the results he also started reading the early breast cancer book given to us by my surgeon.

Dominic took me out for a while today just so I wasnt stuck at home, you see we were booked to fly to Brisbane tonight for 2 week holiday to see my children and new grandson, also to have our engagement party with family and friends and a christening to attend. All my children except my youngest (17) live in Brisbane, I guess I am missing them more at the moment cause I am unable to go see them. But I have to be positive that before the end of the year I will get up there.

I have all faith in the Medical proffesssionals as I am a sterilizing technican..... I sterlize the equipment and instruments used for operations.

Yes I think the hardest part now is the waiting for the results to see where I go from here. I think it is more the finanical side of things that worry me the most but hey it's only a house and if worse comes to worse I sell it and start again........No silly me couldnt afford at the time income insurance.

I will be glad tho once the swelling goes down and I can rest my arm easy...it is so uncomfortable, on the plus side they didnt nick the nerve so I still have full movement.

Thats enough from me today as I cant sit at pc too long.....Yes I am on facebook if any one would like to also chat there.

Thanks Selina

• jo1234
    jo1234 Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2015
    Options

Selina, are you going as a private patient because you can go as a public and pay nothing for the treatment and it is no different because you are public. If you have to travel for treatment i am sure that you can get reduced accommodation etc Contact your local council as i  also know they give a hand with cancer patients.   You still maybe able to work so dont give up on that yet.  Many people work and just have  a couple of days off  each time they have their chemo done.

Ask about it on this site as many people may be in the same boat and beable to give you some idea's

Cheers Jo xx

• sel1962
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jo, I saw Belinda Brown privately but went thru Frankston hospital public. I live in Frankston 5 mins from the hospital, work at Hawthorn and yes had it all worked out that if I need further treatment then I could work in the morning finish early and call into Monash for treatment on way home....this sounded good till my local doctor said it doesnt quiet work like that as it isnt drive thru service.....lol and why not I asked, you can get just about everything else these days drive thru.

I guess I will have to wait and see what the results are then cross the next bridge.

I did call up my super fund to see if I could take some early to help with morgage payments and living expences incase I cant work once I have used all my leave hours , they refered me to DHS and they want quotes etc for my treatment and yes cause I can get it for free they wont release early funds.

It's a bit like jetstar atm too I called told them I was unable to fly this trip sent them medical certificate, letter from surgeon and still got a call back saying it wasnt enough to get refund on our flight, had to go and get a new medical certificate saying I am unable to fly within next 6 months, bet you anything they still wont give me a refund.

I know i should be looking at the light at the end of the tunnel but at the moment it is a really long tunnel and I cant see it, but i know it is there and will find it once i go round the bend.

I will have a look round site more later thanks for the help.

Have a nice day Selina

• Kathy_BCNA
    Kathy_BCNA Staff, Member Posts: 101
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Selena

This is Kathy from BCNA. In case you haven't seen it, I wanted to point you to the Practical issues page of tthe BCNA website, which has information about financial and other practical matters. At the bottom of the page are some links to other places where you can find more information. One I would particularly recommend is the link to Issue 56 of The Beacon magazine, which was on the topic of the financial impact of breast cancer. It has articles about finding support, public v private treatment, and lots of stories from women about their experiences. There are also some links to resource sheets that list organisations that provide financial assistance and government schemes to help reduce medical costs, eg the Medicare Safety Net. Hope this is helpful for you.

I'm so pleased you joined this site - good on your partner for suggesting it. You will find you get lots of support and helpful advice from the women here.

All the best, Kathy

• Kathy_BCNA
    Kathy_BCNA Staff, Member Posts: 101
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Selena

This is Kathy from BCNA. In case you haven't seen it, I wanted to point you to the Practical issues page of tthe BCNA website, which has information about financial and other practical matters. At the bottom of the page are some links to other places where you can find more information. One I would particularly recommend is the link to Issue 56 of The Beacon magazine, which was on the topic of the financial impact of breast cancer. It has articles about finding support, public v private treatment, and lots of stories from women about their experiences. There are also some links to resource sheets that list organisations that provide financial assistance and government schemes to help reduce medical costs, eg the Medicare Safety Net. Hope this is helpful for you.

I'm so pleased you joined this site - good on your partner for suggesting it. You will find you get lots of support and helpful advice from the women here.

All the best, Kathy

• Ping
    Ping Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Diagnosed with stage 3 ductal Carcinoma in my right breast August 2011, sent me on the roller coaster of waiting rooms machines that go ping and 8 rounds of chemo. Now with chemo finished I am into the next phase. Next Thursday I will have a Masectomy plus a reduction on my left breast and an axillary clearance. 4 nodes were positive however I think they are going to take many more.
    I have 2 kids a son 19 an a 15 yr old daughter, my husband who has struggled through this but is supportive.
    Feel like the chemo drugs are finally leaving my system.
    I hope we can support each other through this forum and perhaps a catchup sometime with coping strategies.
    I live and work in the bayside suburbs and hope that part of my recovery will include walking regularly along the beach at Brighton with women who know what I am going through
    Your posts inspire me. It is hard to stay positive .....but I'm trying thanks- Helena
  • Ping
    Ping Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Diagnosed with stage 3 ductal Carcinoma in my right breast August 2011, sent me on the roller coaster of waiting rooms machines that go ping and 8 rounds of chemo. Now with chemo finished I am into the next phase. Next Thursday I will have a Masectomy plus a reduction on my left breast and an axillary clearance. 4 nodes were positive however I think they are going to take many more.
    I have 2 kids a son 19 an a 15 yr old daughter, my husband who has struggled through this but is supportive.
    Feel like the chemo drugs are finally leaving my system.
    I hope we can support each other through this forum and perhaps a catchup sometime with coping strategies.
    I live and work in the bayside suburbs and hope that part of my recovery will include walking regularly along the beach at Brighton with women who know what I am going through
    Your posts inspire me. It is hard to stay positive .....but I'm trying thanks- Helena
  • Samantha Cunnington
    edited March 2015
    Options

Selina, check out with ur Breast Care Nurse or even just the ward at the hospital, often the auxillary ladies make these small pillows that sit in ur underarm area and make it much more comfortable while u are recovering from surgery..mine was a godsend!..

• Joy K
    Joy K Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015
    Options

Accessing your superannuation early depends on the staging of your breast cancer and you won't know that till early March when you get your results.

I am being treated at Moorabbin (and you can arrange suitable times for Breast Oncology Clinic and other treatments later in the day) and have Stage 4 breast cancer which was diagnosed at original diagnosis. It's easy for me to say don't worry about the future but as you say you have faith in the medical profession. No amount of worrying or amount of scans will stop the cancer coming back if that is what it is going to do. Just trust in your doctors and know that it will be picked up and treated accordingly if it does. The only difference in my life to someone living with early breast cancer is that I have to fit my active life around medical investigations and treatments and be very organised. Despite having had neoadjuvent chemotherapy, radical mastectomy with all lymph nodes on affected side removed, radiotherapy and then more radiotherapy followed by lymphoedema I can honestly say I feel better than I have in years.

There is life after or even with this disease. 

With love

Joy K

• sel1962
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi all, hope everyone is doing ok today, I am doing good atm had a little cry the other morning I think that is cause I have been keeping most of this emotion locked inside.

I got my results on tuesday and they are 99.9% confident that they have removed all the cancer, Now to start 6 weeks of radiotherapy and then go onto tomoxifen for 5 years. I havent decided as yet where I will get treatment, I have a choice of Morrabbin or Frankston Private......Since I work at Hawthorn and live in Frankston either i guess will be suitable and both will cost about the same in the long run. Guess it will depend on the time slot that I will require once I talk to my work in changing my shifts to suit.

I had a lovely surprise visit from my daughter and grand daughter from Brisbane last week I think my daughter needed to be near me to make sure I was doing ok.

I know I am at this stage lucky to have a good result and I know some of you all are going thru worse than me, and I just want to say thank you to you all whom have been in contact it has all helped and I dont feel alone in this journey.

The oncologist has agreed for me to have my vein surgery on the 22nd of this month before starting radiotherapy.

Thanks again to all, havea good weekend....Selina

• Joy K
    Joy K Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi again Selina

All treatment at Moorabbin is free. Peter Mac at Moorabbin is a public hospital and all radiotherapy is coverered uner Medicare rebates. You just take the cheque into them when you receive it from Medicare after you have finished treatment.

I think Frankston Private offers radiotherapy under the private system, and you will be many thousands out of pocket for the course of radiotherapy, even allowing for the Medicare rebates. Don't think you can claim under Private Health insurance either.  Moorabbin will cater for your needs if you are working. They keep the early morning slots and the late afternoon slots for those in the workforce.

Ask questions before you commit to either treatment centre!

Good luck for your vein surgery.

With love

Joy K

• sel1962
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Joy I will look into it carefully first......Do you know what the parking is like at Moorabbin.......afternoon would suit me better as i do mostly 6.30am starts but could finish at 3pm everyday.

My car is still in panel beaters so I will make some calls Tuesday after my Radiology appointment....If I call both places will they be able to tell me the costs etc?

Regards Selina