Both ER+ and HER2+

Options
Von597
Von597 Member Posts: 2
Wondering if anyone also has this combo. Mine is in the left breast and feeling like I got the short straw as there will be so many treatments, noting more as each responds differently. 

Please only respond if you have this combo as its fairly new, I'm very fragile and not doing well with people offering their empathy when they find out. Thanks...

Comments

• Pearl81
    Pearl81 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi @Von597, I also have HER+/ER+ breast cancer, which is Stage 4 because it has spread outside of the breast to the liver and bones. Treatment will depend on staging of your cancer. Earlier stages are curable, whereas stage 4 is treatable. 

I consider myself very fortunate to have so many treatment options, which is the result of women before me that have battled breast cancer. 

I was diagnosed 4 months ago and I have been treated with Paclitaxel, Herceptin, perjeta, Denosumab, and have recently started Zoladex with Exemestane. 

It is hard some days, but I am learning to accept my diagnosis and enjoy life.
  • Von597
    Von597 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that and best of luck with your treatment. Yes I should be more grateful, guess im not there yet but hope to be soon. It's very new. 

Perjeta has also been mentioned to me. Will need to look more into it as have been told its $6k out of pocket but if there is a need will just have to do it. 

Take care 
  • Tri
    Tri Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi @Von597
    I am ER+ and HER2+ early stage, left breast and now in the latter stages of treatment after starting in March 2023. 
    I hear you, the timeframe can be daunting. 
    I was encouraged to hear treatment for HER2+ is very targeted and reportedly has excellent outcomes for early stage (based on trials).
    It helped me to think in phases once all the diagnostics were done and my surgeon and oncologist shaped up the recommended plan.
    Phase 1 was pre-surgery - 6 cycles of Herceptin, Perjeta, Docetaxel and carboplatin, in my case I was recommended to have chemo pre- surgery (“neo adjuvant”).
    Regarding the cost of Perjeta my oncologist wrote to my health insurer supporting an application that they subsidise it and they did, a great result. 
    The next treatment phases depended on how I responded to the chemotherapy, but after that first phase I had surgery (lumpectomy) which was phase 2 for me, then I had phase 3, radiotherapy and I am now in what I consider phase 4, having the remaining cycles of a Herceptin and chemo combination called “ Kadcyla” but some people can finish out with Herceptin only. It is a long time but for me each has been more manageable as I have progressed. 
    A colleague in the same line of work who had been through HER2 + and ER+ treatment reached out and it was encouraging to know some tips to stay energised, rested, exercise and the boundaries for the work and it helped me feel motivated. I felt keeping an open mind for each phase has helped and whilst there have been side effects, the treatments and surgery have been effective and without complication, and my treating professionals have responded to make adjustments )to my doses or timing) when I hit an occasional hurdle. 
    All the best as you consider your options.