2»

Comments

• joleeh5
    joleeh5 Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Julie,

Just thought Id quickly share.

I had 16 rounds of chemo resulting in a 14kgs weight gain. I must say that at the time I thought oh great I fail at being a cancer patient ,because I think everyones perception of a cancer patient is of a frail, gaunt, pale, emaciated person. The doctors aim is for us not to lose weight. That is why they give us steroids, anti nausea meds and weigh us every damn visit. I too comfort ate my way through chemo, food was my friend and I  agree that when everything taste like you are licking a metal ashtray I was totally looking for the holy grail of food and ate my way through every salty highly flavoured snack around. Plus chowed down on a chocolate thickshake everyday to soothe the burning mouth.

On the plus side it does come to an end. I finshed last may and have lost around 10kgs and am walking and seeing a naturopath to try and claw my way back to health.

Getting through chemo is to be celebrated. You are definately not alone.Good Luck!!

Cheers Jo xox 

• susieFA
    susieFA Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Al

I read your post with such a smile - well done you getting your bounce back!  I too have started getting alot of comments from people about my "new" hair - how great it looks, how amazingly well I look, blah blah blah. I must have looked totally rubbish before all this is all I can think! (Personally, I think my new hair is horrible and I can't wait for it to grow but I'll admit I was quite vain about it before.)  My clothes still fit the same as before so I haven't lost weight, sure, my skin is looking good but really!  Why do people make such a fuss of the superficial?  We have been through a life and death experience and I wonder, is it because they really just don't want to think about that?  I think we are fantastic, all of us! xxx