Friday Update 24th February 2023

Options
Mez_BCNA
Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 874

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the latest Friday update. 

I will touch on the new private group created for the Online Network, Carmen Fun Run highlights, BCNA webcast recap and more.

Keep cool and enjoy.

Community Highlights

New Group

After several weeks of feedback and input from our valuable members of the Online Network, we have created new private group 'Flat Chat - No Breast Reconstruction'.
This is a private group to support people who for various reasons do not have breast reconstruction after breast cancer surgery (i.e. single or double mastectomy). Also a reminder for our new members, we also have the long standing private group Choosing breast reconstruction

Popular Forum Discussions

If you have missed some of the most active discussions in the past few weeks, you can check them out below:

New Group Proposal - No Reconstruction post Breast Cancer Surgery

What Care Givers do ......

Not doing so well

Hello I'm new to the group

Feeling "blue" on tamoxifen

Posts by 'Category Name'  10-24 February 2023

Community News

BCNA News - 15 Feb 2023

The Helpline have had a number of calls recently in relation to people claiming to represent BCNA and are door-knocking to ask for donations. Read further via the link https://www.bcna.org.au/news/2023/02/new-alert-for-scam-door-knockers/

Carman's Fun Run - Thankyou!

Thankyou to those who supported or participated in the Carman's Fun Run last Sunday.  BCNA are pleased to announced that with the work of fundraisers and event partners, we were able to raise over $255,000 to help support of Australians affected by breast cancer. 

BCNA Policy & Advocacy News

A letter this week in the Medical Journal of Australia (MJA) highlight's BCNA's making metastatic breast cancer issues paper:

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2023/218/3/long-term-risk-distant-metastasis-women-non-metastatic-breast-cancer-and

Download issues paper: Making metastatic breast cancer count

Look Good Feel Better Workshops

Have you heard of the charity 'Look Good Feel Better'? They are a free national community service program, run by the Cancer Patients Foundation. They provide people with resources and workshops to help manage the appearance-related side-effects caused by cancer treatment. They have a number of face-to-face workshops coming up that I thought to share:

* Logan Hospital (LOGAN CITY, QLD) Tue 28 Feb 2023
* North West Support Centre (DEVONPORT, TAS) Wed 01 March 2023
* Moonee Ponds Bowling Club (MOONEE PONDS, VIC) Wed 01 March 2023
* Yarra Ranges Health (LILYDALE, VIC) Wed 01 March 2023
* The Mater Hospital - Kay Van Norton Centre for Wellbeing (CROWS NEST, NSW) Mon 06 Mar 2023

You can check out more workshops via the link https://lgfb.org.au/for-patients/workshop-registration/

Forums / Webcasts

Warrnambool Information Forum 28th March 2023

BCNA have announced another face-to-face forum coming in March. You can see the latest discussion here through the Online Network:
https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/25352/upcoming-event-warrnambool-information-forum-28-march#latest

Webcast Recap - Managing Stress and Improving Wellbeing With Mindfulness and Meditation

Did you miss last week's webcast? We had 338 registrations and 100 live viewers. You can even enjoy a short meditation to introduce you to the practice if you have never tried it before. Watch on-demand via the link https://bcna.live/MindfulnessWebcast and check out the accompanying resource with useful apps, sites and tools for mindfulness and meditation here Mindfulness and meditation helpful resources.

New Helpline Services staff - Denise

We had the wonderful Denise join BCNA's Helpline Services team in the second half of 2022 and I would like to introduce her to the Online Network. Another great addition to our team (of five) on the Helpline:

My name is Denise and I have been with BCNA since July. My working career over the past 12 years has been spent in the Social Services Sector and my favourite past times are spent in the gym and out on the water enjoying some squid fishing.

That's all for this week and if you have any content you would like to see in the updates please feel free to share with me and I will try my best.

Take care and if you have any concerns while online, please contact one of the moderators:

@Jenny_BCNA @Carissa_BCNA @Pat_BCNA @Mez_BCNA

If you wish to speak with the Helpline team regarding your concern, please call 1800 500 258 Mon-Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm (AEDT), alternatively you can email helpline@bcna.org.au

The mod team - Mez, Carissa, Jenny and Pat

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will" - Mahatma Gandhi

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    How on earth do they factor in the health cost of patients with Mets if they don't have some sort of national register??  That is totally unacceptable.  Keep advocating BCNA to get this 'list' up & running - not only for NBC but ALL mets diagnoses.

Ooooh - another fisho on BCNA - I look forward to Denise adding some Squid pics to the Fishing thread .... with tips on how to catch the little suckers (literally!)   ;)