Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

New Diagnosis Shock - metastatic breast cancer

Options
Mez_BCNA
Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 874
Moderator moved @SallyJ original post from the 'Activity' section to the discussion page:

Comments

• AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    Hi there Sally...I'm so sorry you've had to join our group...such shitty entry requirements for sure, but welcome. The waiting part is the worst, as you wait for all the scans and whatnot to be done and reported on. Once you've seen your oncologist and a Sally Specific Plan is drawn up, you'll probably feel a little more that things are happening. I'm sure others will hop onto the thread with their welcomes, suggestions and comments, but I thought I'd just say "Hi" in the meantime. Big hug...Ally.
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Hi @SallyJ, what a shock. It is so stressful at the beginning of all this but as @AllyJay said things will feel s bit better with a plan in place. It's never a great time to get this news but Christmas is particularly hard.

Do you have support? It helps to bring someone to appointments. I found that with the stress of it all sometimes I would not hear some things as I was still processing the last thing the medical person said. It helped me to have my husband attend my appointments with me. 

Write all your questions down and remember none of them are stupid. Just on that we here are all happy to help and talk about anything really.

Stay as healthy as you can. Good food and a little exercise if you are up to it during treatment. It really does help with all the fatigue that treatment gives.

Most of all put yourself first. If there is one time in your life to do this it is now. Forget everyone else. Take offers to cook, clean or whatever it is that you need. 

Sending you lots of love and a very big virtual hug 💐
  • SallyJ
    SallyJ Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you so much for your kind words everyone really appreciated 
    Luckily I have a partner it’s a shock to him as well, he’s such a darling we have been to the hospital every day this week and supporting me in his own way. 
    I just never thought this would happen to me, I have friends & family who have had or have cancer. 
    Sally 

lots of hugs and kisses 🌻 to all 
    thank you again 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,125
    Options
    Hi @SallyJ
    Whilst it’s never a good time to get such news it’s especially awful just before Xmas - I agree with the comment above , this is a time to put yourself first , it is a bit of a whirlwind following the finding of a lump or other symptom , tests , tests and more tests , then bam, surgery, chemo , radiotherapy ( not necessarily all , and not necessarily in that order).
    Once you have a plan from your team you will feel a lot more settled .
    This is an excellent organisation , the aim when it was set up was that no woman should have to deal with a diagnosis of breast cancer alone. The website has a lot of very useful stuff ( much safer than “ Dr Google”) and this forum is a great resource , because we have all been there one way or another we all “ get it” in a way others don’t, no matter how much they care.
    Take care 🌺
  • Fufan
    Fufan Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Welcome, @SallyJ: you will find a lot of support here. As they’ve said, put yourself first and accept any help offered.   I empathise: it is exactly a year since I got my diagnosis.  Try to enjoy your Christmas, I will be thinking of you.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    edited December 2022
    Options
    So sorry to see you here @SallyJ - you are in the right place for support and information from those who've gone before you xx.  It is a huge shock to the system .... your brain will be going in all directions ..... take plenty of deep breaths, try and enjoy your Xmas with family & friends ..... difficult tho it may seem xx

We're here to help you along the way - as mentioned - there are NO silly questions, so ask away xx

As well as having your partner with you, consider recording all your early sessions with your team, as it can be difficult to remember everything that was discussed. ....

Check out this post for a lot of 'general' info on the forum & some links that may be of assistance to you - even some funny links as well .... which I hope may give you a giggle xx
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

take care & all the best with your upcoming appointments - and Merry Christmas xx
  • SallyJ
    Options
    Thank you 
  • Arn_007
    Arn_007 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi @SallyJ

How are you holding up?  Is there a bit of a plan going forwards or still early days?
  • SallyJ
    Options
    Thank you for asking :)
    I am doing well the team around me is so caring and thoughtful 
    I have positive friends and family.
    Also treatment plan mapped out now we know what we’re looking at with HER2 + as well as ER + and I spoke with a surgeon last week 
    It’s good having a plan 

Sally
    take care everyone 
    thinking of you all