License photo

Options
Sandy47
Sandy47 Member Posts: 64
edited January 2012 in Day to day

just got my car license renewal last week and as I am currently bald (chemo) and dont have a wig and dont want my photo taken with a bald head wondered what I will do. I rang Transport SA and explained situation and asked if I can use previous photo: not permitted, or have photo taken with scarf or headcover. They said that this is not permitted either. The guy was really nice and went off a made a few enquiries; they have agreed that I can use a headcover if I just get the license for one year but I must go to a particular Transport SA and ask for a specific person. They also said that they undergo an audit of all taken photos and this may cause problems then but they will deal with that then because of my circumstances. They also said that they had not come across this situation before to their knowledge and therefore there was no precedant; surely other cancer patients have had this situation???? Anyone else experienced this or similar problems??

Sandy

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

My passport and my driver's licence renewal came at the same time. It was about 4 months after chemo and I had about a 2cm of hair growth and no eyebrows.Needless to say I look dreadful in both photos and I'm stuck with them for 5 and 10 years! But surely your problem has cropped up before.

Tonya xx

• Phoenixchick
    Phoenixchick Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2015
    Options

As it was , I was also inthe situation of having to renew my licence just a few weeks after I shaved the last remnants of hair off my scalp in Feb 2010.  Also no eyebrows or lashes etc. I recall being to unwell to drive due to chemo. I as dreadfully photophobic and needed really dark sunnies.. even inside. I decided to opt for a 5 year licence with my bald pic... without hestitation. My family were stoked!! It was an investment towards surviving 5 years! I love my licence! Cheers, Fiona.

• hilsandglen
    hilsandglen Member Posts: 95
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, this is sort of funny as the same thing happened to me. Drivers lic renual when I was bald. There is a place in the city called the Think Pink Foundation and they have a wig library . Borrowed one and was all set to go . I now have a lovely shot on my licence even tho I know I was bald as a badger underneath. xxx Hilary

• Sandy47
    edited March 2015
    Options

Celeste

Rang hotline number got put through to Elizabeth branch and spoke to a guy named Marshall, he made enquiries and told me to ask for Karen when I go and have it taken. I have appointment at Lyell Mac tomorrow and will probably try to do it after that while it is still fresh in their minds. I will let you know the outcome. Photos are publicly taken at all branches I think.

I agree, it would be great for BCNA to take this issue on board. I will contact someone and see what they say.

I guess I could "hire" a wig but this seems a bit extreme and a bit of sensitivity on Transport SA's behalf wouldnt go astray.  Please let me know how you get on too, maybe if we make a big public fuss they can be shamed into helping us.

• Phoenixchick
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sandy,

It was a really hot day... this time last year when I had to have my photo done... so I  It was a 'no scarf day' for me. But I had to remove my glasses too, even thougth I alwasy where galsses when driving. This was  a shock to me. I think thery are getting really technical with facial markers  for licence shots these days.  Like finger printing. 

Anyway,I was quite comfortable. The staff were polite.

I think I will keep my Licence forever... as a reminder of that stage in my life. Hopefullu I will have it for MANY years to come. :)  Fiona

• Phoenixchick
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sandy,

It was a really hot day... this time last year when I had to have my photo done... so I  It was a 'no scarf day' for me. But I had to remove my glasses too, even thougth I alwasy where galsses when driving. This was  a shock to me. I think thery are getting really technical with facial markers  for licence shots these days.  Like finger printing. 

Anyway,I was quite comfortable. The staff were polite.

I think I will keep my Licence forever... as a reminder of that stage in my life. Hopefullu I will have it for MANY years to come. :)  Fiona

• Sandy47
    edited March 2015
    Options

Maybe an interesting time in Transport SA tomorrow, especially if they are insensitive and demanding. I usually have an even temperment but when I think someone is unreasonable then I become that way too. Apparently, on some occassions, I have ATTITUDE.

• Phoenixchick
    edited March 2015
    Options

The counter staff migth have a' learning day'. Hopefully it is a positive day...and you will get you 5 year licence and the staff will be cheerful and understanding. Just remember... the counter staff are 'the messengers' and not the rule makers.  If worse come to worst... take your scarf off... then put it back on wih a large flourishing bow! Good luck and cheers, Fiona 

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am in Queensland and I renewed my licence over the internet.  I just attached the new information to my old licence when it arrived in the post.  So I have the old photo of me with long hair which I think doesn't even look like the "now" me.  When I present it at airports I cringe but they accept it without any worries.  Unfortunately for my passport I didn't have the same luxury.  I put my wig on (didn't wear it out much) and had my photos taken.  When my husband and I finally got around to renewing our passports I was told that my photos weren't acceptable.  By then I had some hair!!!!XLeonie

• Sandy47
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am only renewing license for one year, hopefully this time next year I will have hair!  Here in SA it is compulsory that we have new photos taken every 10 years.

• Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree with your comments...some sensitivity on Transport SA's behalf is definately warranted! Perhaps we should've gone together to get our photos taken...a FORCE to be reckoned with i think, as I feel quite strongly about this too! ?Please let me know how you get on, I will be interested to hear how you go. If I have any hassles I will be contacting BCNA formally and seeing if they can assist any women who have to face this barrier in the future, Celeste ?

• Sandy47
    edited March 2015
    Options

I went into Transport Sa this morning ready for a fight. They did not even question me, in fact I did my license for 5 years and the photo taken with a headwrap on. I was only going to get it for a year but the girl at the counter asked me how long I wanted it for, I said 5 years. No Problem!!!! That was at Elizabeth Transport SA.

• Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Sandy, thats good to know. I am out Modbury way, but will go to Elizabeth if I have any hassles!

• Sandy47
    edited March 2015
    Options

let me know how you get on

• Phoenixchick
    edited March 2015
    Options

It is a great step of faith to get your 5 year licence.  Glad  that you had no hassles at the counter.  I agree with Celeste. We should all be able to get out pics taken with whatever head covering makes us feel comfortable - hat, scarf, beret, wig or bald... But they made me remove my glasses... this baffled me as I never  have my glasses off when driving. I think in NSW that  they need to photgraph ones eyes for facial recognition cameras...If this is the case, it does not matter therefore one iota what we have on our heads... it is the eyes that count.

Cheers, Fiona